Tire kicking used guns

DrSpeed

Eight Pointer
Seen used guns selling for new prices cause they haven’t been shot much. Good to know but if you’re selling a used gun you need to discount it from new prices. I alway like “I have $1500 in it, I’ll sell it for that.” Maybe so but not to me.
For me there are two sides to that coin. I would take a gun with 1000rds of normal clean brass shot through it or 500 rounds of steel over, heaven forbid, 50 rounds of bubba's pissin' hot reloads. Guns that "haven't been shot much" are entirely case by case, but they are all used. Same as cars.

100% agree on the " I have $XXX into it" sentiment. There are tons of lemons with $20k in parts put into them that aren't worth $5k.

DrSpeed

Eight Pointer
It doesn't matter what it is that your selling its only worth exactly as much as a buyer is willing to pay. You may value it higher than that but that doesn't mean it's worth it. This is not a post directly at the OP but is how the market in just about anything works. In the retail world it's where the "on sale" advertising comes from and is more a mental game to make the purchaser feel better about the deal.
I agree completely. Only reason I brought it up is my particular circumstances this go-around. I can write up specifics if anyone wants to hear, but it sounds a bit petty all typed out. Basically comes down to a gentleman arguing $50-100 or more value (out of $500) on it having a box.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
some people REAllY like having the box when they buy a gun,,, especially an unshot one of collector value,,,

now a cheaper gun or some such,,, not so much
I just bought a 1958 vintage A-5 magnum with box. The box won't mean squat to me. But when my wife clears my estate (guns) I feel like it will make several buck difference. Enough that I put the box up where it wouldn't become damaged.

DrSpeed

Eight Pointer
I agree with the collectors sentiment, and if I were advertising it as "unshot" I would be on board.

But it's a shooter, always was, with some parts swapped (grips and sites). They could be bought and put back on for less than $150. I'm selling it for $2-300 less than the going rate. Just seems a bit obsessive given the situation.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Some people bought guns at panic prices and want to sell it for the same amount between panics.

Some people dolly up their trucks with lift kits, rims, bull bars, winches, etc., then expect to get all that back when they sell it. And they do the same with guns, stippled, aftermarket triggers or bolt carrier groups, even holsters, and expect to get all that back. Gomer Pyle: Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!

Raging Bull

Four Pointer
It's simple free market economics. Its your gun to price at whatever you want. You aren't forcing anyone to buy it and no one is forcing you to sell it. Put the price you want and roll on. Don't worry if someone thinks it's too high, they don't have to purchase it.

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
This reminds me that I have a bunch of guns ive never shot or put a round in. I have a problem, really need to consolidate some stuff.
You let me know when you if you want to offload one of them sxs you talk about on here every now and then lol dang good looking guns

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
I don’t like the “ only two boxes of shells through it” statement. True some folks buy a shotgun that don’t fit and realize that after dropping a bunch of frog skins. Sometimes you don’t see the part they left out “ two boxes of shells through it before I dropped it in the sound and spent 3 hours fishing it off the bottom.” Always have a gunsmith check the gun out.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd buy a pistol that's been broken in in a second. High powered rifles take a bit more specific break in technique at times, so I'm a bit more particular unless it's an old gun for a good price to be used for hunting.
If I want it the price isn't that big of a deal breaker unless the seller is just nuts....