Tips from the old Pros....

Edgehunter

Twelve Pointer
Lot of Turkeys on my brothers lease, him and my niece saw 70 plus birds, 10 plus Gobblers, thats just a few he said. 5 fields , saw them in all ,Fri and sat., but only 1 gobble all day sat., I get to go there this sat., what do we need to do for Quiet birds? There feeding across the fields, roosting ever where, he's not real sure where, there crossing a rd. to a couple fields that are close together. He learned alittle sat., has a few places cut out for the blind.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Lot of Turkeys on my brothers lease, him and my niece saw 70 plus birds, 10 plus Gobblers, thats just a few he said. 5 fields , saw them in all ,Fri and sat., but only 1 gobble all day sat., I get to go there this sat., what do we need to do for Quiet birds? There feeding across the fields, roosting ever where, he's not real sure where, there crossing a rd. to a couple fields that are close together. He learned alittle sat., has a few places cut out for the blind.

put a tent blind in the field where you saw the most birds. enter before daylight and sit until you kill one.
non gobbling turkeys deserve no respect.you need to remove their non gobbling genes from the pool.

BUT the fact you did not hear them this week means they will be hammering next week.
Good Luck.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
They are only quiet on days when hunters are about. The days you are not there the turkeys are gobbling and telling the news....:)

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
IM NO PRO! Depending how long you want to wait on the fields, i might go sit in that road (if its a private road) and try to get one to answer, if they don't, set decoy so that whatever crosses road will see it and call to get their attention when they cross.

Last edited:

CarolinaWildlife

Ten Pointer
Saw a strutter yesterday at 2:30 pm....hanging with 4 hens. Got to get creative. Wait them out. Patience has killed a many birds.

Ambush

Twelve Pointer

Sounds like you're in turkey heaven. Every encounter you have with them you'll learn something. I had never turkey hunted before my entire life until around ten years ago and I killed my first longbeard that season...just using tips from this message forum. If there's that many birds on the farm...you'll get your chances....if you hunt them enough.

Edgehunter

Twelve Pointer
It's my brothers 1st yr. on this lease, he's seen and the other hunters,who don't Turkey hunt, 15 to 30 in a group, 5,6 groups of em! I can't wait to go down Friday and check it out, I've hunted more Turkey than he has so mabe I can get it done.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It sounds like the place to be later in the season, after some of those 70 hens have been bred and the bigguns are out searching for some more lovin'. Too many hens have spoiled the hunt for most folks that turkey hunt, and lots of turkeys isn't always a good thing early in the season. Too many hens per gobbler has the gobblers without the need to make much noise, or they gobble very little and/or very quietly. Later in the season, or even later in the day(midmorning or later) is sometimes magic in that situation.

DWATT

Six Pointer
Don't worry to much about the silence. I have seen them silent one day, and gobbling their heads off the next. Saturday could be the day.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Gotta be patient with quiet turkeys but you don't stop hunting them... :)

As mentioned, a tent in the field with decoys is your friend...

Call sparingly or not at all...A few years ago, I had a similar situation, too many hens
and the gobblers coming to the field...It took me 4 days to kill one...I tried a strutter,
a jake, a hen and finally a jake behind a hen down on the ground, the breeding position...

You might have to mix it up, unless you get lucky, patience is your best weapon...

Oh yea, bring a thermos of coffee some snacks and a good book!!! :greenjump:

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns

Call sparingly or not at all and finally a jake behind a hen down on the ground, the breeding position...

You might have to mix it up, unless you get lucky, patience is your best weapon...

This right here will get the job done. ^^^^^^^^^

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I have a similar problem, quiet turkeys in one of my spots, I'm blaming it on the high number of coyotes but could be due to lots of hens.

Last edited:

Edgehunter

Twelve Pointer

Call sparingly or not at all and finally a jake behind a hen down on the ground, the breeding position...

This right here will get the job done. ^^^^^^^^^

That's what I told my brother, jake behind the bedded hen. Guess I know alittle, lol , I'm gonna set there in my blind and wait! Could I get away with it in the middle of the field?

Turkeycomander

"Tips from the old pros"....

What's this turkey hunting world come to ?

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Not being judgmental here...........just asking! Before I can advise you I need to know what you want out of the hunting experience.

Is it (1)- just to kill a turkey?
Or is it (2)- to enjoy the turkey hunting challenge?

If your desire is (1) then, you need to set up a blind along the edge of the field they have been coming to. Eventually one will wander within range......they especially like fields when it's raining but they will eventually range the entire field rain or shine.

If you want (2) then I advise you wait a few days until the flock starts to separate. Get in early and listen for gobbles at daylight (from the roost) and try to get close to one of them.....what they are doing when they gobble is telling the hens that "I'm here, I'm beautiful, I'm a stud, and I wish to become your temporary husband in order to procreate".

If you're able to get set up on him, just give a simple cluck to let him know you're there.......if there are no other hens with him then he may fly down to you.

If he has hens already roosted nearby, your chances of calling him are minimal right now because they'll go to him.

You can entertain yourself by either yelp or cluck or cackle or cutt but if you get no response, then all is not lost because you may call in a different gobbler which you didn't even know was around........however do not call more than every 10 or so minutes since every gobbler who hears you can walk straight to you from 1/2 mile away after he hears one call!

You can hang around until gobbler #1 has bred the hens and they've left him to go lay an egg......he will remember that you're still there!

Or you can try to anticipate where they're going and try to get in front of them. The great Wayne Bailey always said, "the easiest way to call a gobbler is to get between him and where he's going"!!!;)

Remember that woodsmanship trumps calling just about every time.

Also remember that the turkey is gonna do exactly what he wants to do.......not what you want him to do. Each turkey is different and a turkey is not a rocket scientist........he's just reacting to the moment and sometimes he doesn't even know what he's gonna do next!:mad:

Edgehunter

Twelve Pointer
No. 2 more than 1 , I've had that experience before but no Turkey, I want my Niece and Brother to get one 1st, but I do want to get one, seeing that I've never .

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Just a guess but seen situation like this before first thing I would do is take out the dominant Tom then the others will light it up. One good way to pick out the boss is to put out a jake and hen deke the dominant tom thats been whipping those others won't stand for it. Seen this couple years back killed the boss Tom then ended up killing 2 more that after he was gone couldn't shut up all the way to gun out of same filed. never knew the other 2 were there.