Tiny Beaver

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It is not even the end of March yet and there are young of the year beaver out and about already. I was thinking it is still a little early for little ones but apparently not. I have been helping out a friend on a nuisance job this week and he had already got the male and a last years young. Momma was in a foot hold at a dam break yesterday.

Today as I walked up to a 330, I could see it was tripped but the size made me think it was a muskrat. But as I got closer, I could see the little beaver tail. A whopping 2 pounder. Certainly the smallest I have seen caught for sure.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had one about that size cost me $125. and almost a toe. Back in the early '70s I was working and saw one about that size crossing the road no where near any water. Well old stupid didn't think anything about momma being around. All I thought about was that little fellow in a bad place, I'll preempt this with they were rare where I was back then. I jumped out of the car and chased him and stepped on his tail and pinned him just about the time he got across the road. Well unbeknownst to me momma was there waiting and set in on my brand new pair of Dunham boots that we had to pay for. She bit all the way through the upper and the sole right past my toe next to my little toe just nicking the end of my toe. Needless to say I let them go on their way.

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I had one about that size cost me $125. and almost a toe. Back in the early '70s I was working and saw one about that size crossing the road no where near any water. Well old stupid didn't think anything about momma being around. All I thought about was that little fellow in a bad place, I'll preempt this with they were rare where I was back then. I jumped out of the car and chased him and stepped on his tail and pinned him just about the time he got across the road. Well unbeknownst to me momma was there waiting and set in on my brand new pair of Dunham boots that we had to pay for. She bit all the way through the upper and the sole right past my toe next to my little toe just nicking the end of my toe. Needless to say I let them go on their way.
I still have my Dunham Duraflex boots and they are still waterproof! Must be at least 43 year old!