Tina Turner dead at 83

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
She renounced her US citizenship years ago.
Thanks for that....I wasn't aware.

Poked around some wondering when & why and discovered more stuff.
She'd actually lived in Switzerland for 20 years prior and then made the switch in 2013.
Went through some "relinquishment" process to become a Swiss citizen which then means she "lost" her US citizenship.
Article mentions there's no US tax or other negative issues if someone doesn't actually "denounce" their US citizenship.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
i remember when she did it, thought it was weird but hey, thats the way show biz folks are.....

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Saw her perform in Raleigh at the PNC Center sometime in the early 2000's, she was great. Put on a good show, worked hard for the audience. Sorry she is gone.

LDG

Twelve Pointer
I saw her in Charlotte in '85 when she was on her Private Dancer tour. Mr. Mister opened for her and my cousin was the keyboard player for them. Had backstage passes and when Mr. Mister got done we went backstage to their dressing room to have some brews and shoot the bull. On this tour, Tina always had other big names showing up to sing with her. We had planned on going to a local bar with the band, but my cousin said he heard Mick Jagger was there so we stayed. Went out beside the stage and watched her show. Sure enough Mick comes out and they do Honkey Tonk Woman. We were right there within 10 feet of them watching. Good Times. On a (sort of) unrelated note, My cousin and his 3 band mates got together in the last week to celebrate birthdays and they sat down and played Broken Wings for the first time in forever. I recieved a video of it. Still sound good. On another side not the guitarist Steve Farris is a huge hunter who actually hosts the duck hunting segments on Winchester's world of hunting. I remember asking them what they were going to do with all the money they were making and he said "buy a new duck hunting shotgun."

Starfan

Eight Pointer
I saw her in Charlotte in '85 when she was on her Private Dancer tour. Mr. Mister opened for her and my cousin was the keyboard player for them. Had backstage passes and when Mr. Mister got done we went backstage to their dressing room to have some brews and shoot the bull. On this tour, Tina always had other big names showing up to sing with her. We had planned on going to a local bar with the band, but my cousin said he heard Mick Jagger was there so we stayed. Went out beside the stage and watched her show. Sure enough Mick comes out and they do Honkey Tonk Woman. We were right there within 10 feet of them watching. Good Times. On a (sort of) unrelated note, My cousin and his 3 band mates got together in the last week to celebrate birthdays and they sat down and played Broken Wings for the first time in forever. I recieved a video of it. Still sound good. On another side not the guitarist Steve Farris is a huge hunter who actually hosts the duck hunting segments on Winchester's world of hunting. I remember asking them what they were going to do with all the money they were making and he said "buy a new duck hunting shotgun."
I saw the same show in Greensboro on that tour. My mama loved Tina Turner. It was my first concert, I was 9 or 10.

Reactions: LDG