Timeline for power line food plot?

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have questions about planting a food plot in a power line:

1. I suppose there’s no time like the present to bush hog. Correct?

2. No bad time to add lime? I will do a soil test.

3. When to feet?

4. What to plant? Stokes county NC. 91 acre plot. Probably 1 ac food plot. Also adding 2 feeding stations.

Thank you.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
1. If it’s grown up now , or when it dries up some won’t hurt. It’ll just lie there and rot. That’s a good thing.

2. Add your lime after the test. And after it gets dry. I’d add it after plowing and discing as well. Late February, early March.

3. I’m guess the ? Is when to fertilize. I’d do it the same day you plant.

4. That depends , if it’s a summer time feeding plot. Or a fall kill plot. If for the summer , a mix of cow peas , and any type of strong stemed plant like sunflowers. The cow peas will climb on those stems.

If it’s for the fall. I’d see Whitetail Institute pats along with some Whitetail Institute clover. I’d see that around or after Labor Day.

Good luck !

timber

Twelve Pointer
If it dries out mowing now would help the residue break up and deteriorate. As far as lime wouldn’t have problem putting that down now. What to plant is something most have there on idea. Having farmed i see nothing they like anymore than field peas or crowder peas. They have several different names they go by. Peas also do well on poorer soils. Here they can be planted anywhere from late April to August. On fertilizer would wait till you planting.

PSell

Four Pointer
I'm planting my first warm season plot this spring, mostly as a cover crop and to further establish a pattern of use...and brooding cover for turkey. I'm going to try cow peas, sunflower, and buckwheat.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I won’t be hunting over it.

Trying to establish the property as somewhere to hold deer. It has awesome bedding, some hardwoods (acorns).

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
I won’t be hunting over it.

Trying to establish the property as somewhere to hold deer. It has awesome bedding, some hardwoods (acorns).

Then go for the 2fer , plant cow peas and sunflowers or buckwheat in mid May ( make sure the ground temp is 65 degrees minimum)

Late August plow them into the ground for green manure. Then around Labor Day plant a clover / brassica mix.

You’ll have a good draw for the deer for a good portion of the summer and through the fall. In the spring the fall planted clover will sprout and you’ll have a place for deer and turkeys to feed.

In May .....rinse & repeat.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
If you think you'll be hunting it a few years and want to hold more deer,plant the acre in alfalfa or white clover.an established stand of either one of those is a deer magnet.