Time to move on from the old Atec Scope

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Current Deer setup is a Remington 700 ADL in .30-06 topped with a Simmons Atec 2.8-10x44 Illuminated cross-hair scope (2001 vintage and Philippines made). I has killed many a deer for me over the years but the last couple of years it does not take bumps well. It also makes me wonder if I am not loosing some zero every time I shoot. Scope is mounted on a 2001 Leupold base and ring setup. Looking for suggestions on the next setup trying to stay under 1k. Rarely do I shoot over 225 yards.

Last edited:

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Current Deer setup is a Remington 700 ADL in .30-06 topped with a Simmons Atec 2.8-10x44 Illuminated cross-hair scope (2001 vintage and Philippines made). I has killed many a deer for me over the years but the last couple of years it does not take bumps well. It also makes me wonder if I am not loosing some zero every time I shoot. Scope is mounted on a 2001 Leupold base and ring setup. Looking for suggestions on the next setup trying to stay under 1k.
Ghost the sales and clearances on eurooptic dot com for quality name brand scopes you may be interested in.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
They were very good scopes for the money back in the day.
For under 1k you can get several really nice scopes from all the top Manufacturers. I suggest just going with the one your eye likes best.
I'm a Zeiss fan and eventhough I haven't looked at them lately I assume they still make a Conquest under that price.
Swarovski makes a very good scope and you can find them under 1k.
Hard to go wrong with the tried and true Leupold too.
Just looked at Cameralands website and they have some specials going on.
If you have never heard of GPO look them up....they have some good deals on them.

Last edited:

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Stay with Wake Forest, Sightron S Tac 4-20 FFP can be found for a few more weeks at $200 or more off. Been fighting urge to add one to a new to me CZ 452. If you don’t want illumination and FFP a 3-12 is in the $350 with the current year end clearances.

Leupold has spiked with the HD line. If your active Leo/Military they give you a very generous rebate as does NightForce.

I love a 1.5-6x42 Alpha scope like Kahles or Zeiss. If you creep SampleList and Cameraland NY you can find good deals. I honestly just scooped a well loved 3-9x36 Leupold for $99. It’s the older style but my kids’ CZ Scout won’t care.

Zeiss has the V4 and V6 you can snag a demo from RedHawk for a good price.

To my eyes Kahles and Zeiss Victory are as good as I can discern. I’d like to have the oppty to by the Zeiss Duralyt “Made In Germany” mid power scopes for early prices. Pretty spendy if you find them now. Not popular in US due to blue tint. They were optimized for twilight and US market doesn’t hunt as late while also preferring a slightly different lens coating.

Finally, if your hunting beanfields or don’t mind fixed power a Schmidt and Bender Klassik in 8x56 or 6x42ish can be found for $7-800. I hear the 8x56 are a little tough up close but possibly the best low light scope on the market. Made in Hungary models are the same as their German locations from components used and reviews I’ve seen. You can jump to a 6x illuminated but you’ll break into $1200 for it.

I’m looking at a Klassik 6x or a Kaps for my next purchase. Kahles sorta swung toward tactical with high power 34mm tube offerings. I’d love to try one but maybe not for a steep mountain carrying gun.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
If you’re only shooting 225 yards I assume you’re not doing any PRS type stuff, personally I think you’d be well served with a Leupold VX3HD series scope and can stay WELL under $1K. My personal favorite is the 2.5-8x, I’m very comfortable with it at 300yd in field positions and have shot it to 500yd on the bench and the 8x top end seems to be plenty IMO.

You can get nicer scopes under your price cap but for most hunters I think you reach a point of diminishing returns. Some people need those extra features for what they do, but personally I haven’t.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
This Meopta for $322 would be my choice if I were buying a new variable power deer hunting scope and wanted a true upgrade from the ATEC. You'd notice an increase in clarity and low light performance instantly.
https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...cdd7-0138-9c51-00163e90e196?variation=2779760

For less than $200 this Burris would be a decent upgrade. The price/performance per $$$ is good but the low light won't be on par with the Meopta above.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...1db6-0138-7b6d-00163e90e196?variation=2731175

Being it's a 30-06 and you don't shoot past 250 yards slapping a FX-3 6x Leupold with the wide duplex would be all you really needed.

I'd change the mounts to a DNZ, Talley or Warne setup.

<>< Fish

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
This Meopta for $322 would be my choice if I were buying a new variable power deer hunting scope and wanted a true upgrade from the ATEC. You'd notice an increase in clarity and low light performance instantly.
https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...cdd7-0138-9c51-00163e90e196?variation=2779760

For less than $200 this Burris would be a decent upgrade. The price/performance per $$$ is good but the low light won't be on par with the Meopta above.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...1db6-0138-7b6d-00163e90e196?variation=2731175

Being it's a 30-06 and you don't shoot past 250 yards slapping a FX-3 6x Leupold with the wide duplex would be all you really needed.

I'd change the mounts to a DNZ, Talley or Warne setup.

<>< Fish
Meopta make great optics

Jimbob78

Twelve Pointer
Instead of telling you brands, here are features that I would recommend: larger tube diameter (30mm or 34mm) allows for better light gathering in the early and late minutes of shooting time. Illumination can also help differentiate crosshairs vs dark body if in shadows. Variable power if shots are 20yds vs 250yds from the same stand. There are a lot of different good manufactures that will fit the bill, but the biggest thing for me is that tube diameter and quality of glass.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Keep in mind when looking for a scope there is no such think as "light gathering" just "light transmitting". Sales guys always throw out "it gathers more light" which is totally not true. Main tube diameter does nothing for light transmission it simply gives you more adjust ability in elevation and windage.
This is a great simple article that will give you a good idea of what to look for in a new scope and the myths of scopes.

Jimbob78

Twelve Pointer
Keep in mind when looking for a scope there is no such think as "light gathering" just "light transmitting". Sales guys always throw out "it gathers more light" which is totally not true. Main tube diameter does nothing for light transmission it simply gives you more adjust ability in elevation and windage.
This is a great simple article that will give you a good idea of what to look for in a new scope and the myths of scopes.

While that may be true in the lower tier optics that do not utilize larger internal lens that a larger tube can accommodate, top tier optics in larger tube size do, making the image appear more crisp and brighter. Compare a 1” Swarovski to a 30mm Swarovski in image brightness and clarity.

And it doesn’t necessarily mean more elevation, my SB PM2 doesn’t have as much elevation as my ATACR, both 34mm. SB is slightly clearer and brighter, but due to better glass. Both light years brighter and clearer than a 1” tube.

Last edited:

richard corn

Ten Pointer
Call Doug at Camerland and tell him Richard in NC sent you. Meopta is a great brand. Been advertising a Steiner that I have my eye on too. They are a great dealer. Just bought a Leica item from him that he did not have in stock. This was on Monday and Thurs afternoon I had it in hand. Also free shipping and no sales tax.

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Well, I managed to crack my stock the last week of deer season. I have pretty much chosen leupold as the glass but went ahead and re-stocked it. Glass bedding curing overnight.

Attachments

• 8AD02DBE-30FD-4102-B194-6FFE8C0DB40A.jpeg
    8AD02DBE-30FD-4102-B194-6FFE8C0DB40A.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 20
  • A816C039-D50B-482C-91A4-06275EB86046.jpeg
    A816C039-D50B-482C-91A4-06275EB86046.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 20