Time to learn about a new area.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
With my job change allowing me to work from anywhere, we have sold our river place on the Pamlico and bought a tiny condo just off the causeway in Atlantic Beach. It was a fixer upper and we have been busy with that so getting the boat down was not a priority. As of last weekend the boat is in the slip and after the trip to Conman's this weekend, we should be ready for some fishing.

I have fished the haystacks, back of shack, the hook and trolled for spanish just outside the inlet but only now and then. Looking forward to fishing pretty blue water instead of brown river water and really learning the ins and outs down there.

I like to go after flounder (if we ever get to again), spanish, drum, and my favorite is speckled trout fishing. My other half enjoys bottom fishing so we do that now and then for black sea bass.

Our boat is a 19.8 Carolina Skiff so we have to pick our days on the outside.

Any hints are greatly appreciated and if any of you want to meet up to fish drop me a note!

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Stay inshore. It’s like bass fishing. Cast jig heads with gulp curly tails out on flats,ditches,oyster beds, structure and jig swim it back in.
for trout and redfish. That triple s marina ditch always produces. Canal out if you would.
cheers

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Ride yourself around and see where the boat activity is when it's crowded. Leave the rods at the house. Just scout. Then with your new relaxed schedule fish those areas during the week and see why they are so popular.
Then you strike out and find similar cover, conditions, current in less pressured spots.
This is inshore.
Good luck on the outside without specific help or long days trolling.
The epitome of fishing to me is catching them in "new places"
Have Fun.

23mako

Ten Pointer
I really enjoy casting to Spanish on the big shoal on the west side of Beaufort inlet in the early fall. Make sure you have some small 1/2 ounce gotcha jigfish lures during that time of year ready to roll. Swap the hooks and split rings on them because the stock stuff is junk. When it lays down in the fall you shouldn't have any issue getting out there as long as the tide and wind are running in the same direction.

The only time I've had much luck with trout in that area is when they school up in the fall. Radio island is a good place to fish for them at the jetty there.

If you dont mind losing rigs you can have a lot of fun fishing the pilings and railroad trestles on the bridge between morehead city and radio island. Some nice flounder and sheepshead have been caught there over the years.

Ho ace

Ten Pointer
Contributor
On the right day you can get out the inlet in your boat and fish in the ocean but pay attention to the weather and marine forecasts. I used to take my 20' aluminum out frequently.

Around Memorial Day starts the crowded weekends, holidays and tournaments mean lots of boat traffic especially after 3PM when all the offshore boats and the Shack folks are headed home. At 5 PM it can be dangerous in the inlet with all the boat traffic.

Best to go out the inlet at sunrise and get back mid morning before everyone heads out to Shack. North wind will make for nice boating off the beach.

AR 315 with some live bait spring/summer can be fun. If you have a depth finder/GPS then I would troll around the first time while dragging clark spoons or yozuris and mark structure while your 1st mate is pulling in the fish. Structure is all over the place and not necessarily where everyone else is fishing. Fish the bottom and you might catch a nice flounder (to throw back), black/red drum, gray trout, BSB, etc... While you are bottom fishing throw out a live bait on the surface hooked through the back and loosen the drag a bit. Its fun if you see a fish to sky on the bait and you will likely catch a nice sized spanish, bonita or king but sometimes just sharks.

False albacore just out the inlet in the Fall/Early winter is a blast on light tackle!

Attachments

• IMG_1534.jpg
    IMG_1534.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
With my job change allowing me to work from anywhere, we have sold our river place on the Pamlico and bought a tiny condo just off the causeway in Atlantic Beach. It was a fixer upper and we have been busy with that so getting the boat down was not a priority. As of last weekend the boat is in the slip and after the trip to Conman's this weekend, we should be ready for some fishing.

I have fished the haystacks, back of shack, the hook and trolled for spanish just outside the inlet but only now and then. Looking forward to fishing pretty blue water instead of brown river water and really learning the ins and outs down there.

I like to go after flounder (if we ever get to again), spanish, drum, and my favorite is speckled trout fishing. My other half enjoys bottom fishing so we do that now and then for black sea bass.

Our boat is a 19.8 Carolina Skiff so we have to pick our days on the outside.

Any hints are greatly appreciated and if any of you want to meet up to fish drop me a note!
Sounds like a great adventure starting to learn a new area enjoy

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
Best way to learn a new area…..go when the tide is way out! You will learn where you can always go! Knowing sloughs are key!

I have already figured out that every storm, and not just the big ones, moves things around down there. Having a skiff and not wanting to be beat to death, I usually ease along pretty slowly anyway. It is nice not to need much water to go!

CoonHntr

Four Pointer
Casting to false albacore in the fall behind the shrimp boats can be a blast. AR330 can hold some keeper sized sea bass during the cooler months. If you are looking something with a little more weight on the line, the king bite will fire off within reach for you here soon as well. The cobia will cruise the beaches this time of year, although they have been scarce the last couple of years. I'm not much help with the inshore fishing.

I'm not far at all up the street from you, and am usually down two or three days a week, so if you ever need a hand with anything, fishing related or otherwise, all you have to do is ask!