Time for another trip on the princess

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
thinking of hitting the carolina princess again soon. Weekday, week of the 26th is good, could possibly do this week or the week after the 26th just would have to plan it better. Ask the kiddies 1st, they may not want to go.
anyone interested?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'm likely in - been away a month or better due to other commitments,,, but likely going next Thursday (it's on the calendar anyhow) and not afraid to go again the next week

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
can not due thursday this week, daughter works that day. but she doesn't the other days mon-wed and she would go. the next week I'm wide open

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
I was on a private boat near them today. They filled the boat up. We had beeliners, triggers, grouper, porgies, grunts and tilefish. Listening to the radio, they did the same.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
I probably will if the boat is not full. I can't stand fishing in a crowd so I will wait and check after lunch on Wednesday. It has been filling up a lot lately.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I probably will if the boat is not full. I can't stand fishing in a crowd so I will wait and check after lunch on Wednesday. It has been filling up a lot lately.
hope it is not. I do not want a full boat

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Tomorrow is full and every day last week was too. Great for the boat owner but not great for me. :ROFLMAO: Probably won't slow down until school is back in.

yeap, when I called last week they only had 4 slots open on last thursday and 11 for today

I expect every day is full for a while

I'll go later,,, maybe,,, or next spring,,, hunting is getting close,,,

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I did hit the princess today. A bunch of small fish with one trigger that went 6lbs I believe. It won the pool lol.
tons of vermillion and tom tates. Couple silver snapper and grunts. Did send back 2 nice red snapper of course.
it was a steady pic of fish for most everyone on board. was not horribly crowded. several morey eels came up 3 nice aj's too. hot as hell and only a light breeze at times but fun was had by all. well, maybe the couple green people not so much..🤣

Attachments

• 20210729_165602.jpg
    20210729_165602.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210729_165610.jpg
    20210729_165610.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 35

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I am in need of a new rig. what I have is just too small and were cheap outfits. would not bode well if I happen to hook a large fish.
Any insight on a good setup would help. I never cared much for conventional reels, mostly due to size and where I fished. So I know next to nothing.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Your cheapest set up that would still be a good set up is a 4/0 Penn Senator on an Ugly Stik. Lightweight and plenty sturdy for headboat fishing. If you are willing to spend a little more, Penn Fathom is also a good choice. Shimano also makes some great reels in that same size range,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
^^^this fellow knows of what he speaks,,,, he had the (unfortunate) role of educating me on reels and such for head boat fishing,,, I got lucky and gobbled mine up used,,,

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
^^^this fellow knows of what he speaks,,,, he had the (unfortunate) role of educating me on reels and such for head boat fishing,,, I got lucky and gobbled mine up used,,,
I also had the good fortune to fish next to @btsharky for a day, and learned a lot. I have a birthday coming up in a few weeks. Have been leaving fishing gear catalogs laying around open for the wife to see, with selected rods & reels circled.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I also had the good fortune to fish next to @btsharky for a day, and learned a lot. I have a birthday coming up in a few weeks. Have been leaving fishing gear catalogs laying around open for the wife to see, with selected rods & reels circled.
I'm not bound by women any long thank God.😁😜

I'm not looking for a cheap rig. did that lol. was talking with a bunch of the regs and the fathom did come up. any other brands I should look at?

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
thanks. I will take a look at the above reels. I would rather spend what's necessary for good equipment. I'd be highly pissed if I lost a grouper. lol
appreciate all the help

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
another question. braid or mono?

I do know some boats do not like braid but I do.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
I use braid for bottom fishing. I don't ask what the boat prefers ;) . I can feel the smaller triggerfish bites a lot better. And a small bite doesn't always mean a small fish:greenjump:

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
Ugly sticks are great for this…durable and inexpensive w/o sacrificing performance. I actually prefer spinning reals, although you’ll want a fighting belt with them bc the reel can get in the way if laying across the rail for fighting leverage (a bait caster won’t). Braid is better for you but the guys next to you will hate you if your lines cross.

Good luck

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have been toying with a spinning setup but will probably wait, maybe next year.
now I just need to find a shop the carrys the good reels and rods. need to see what feels good.