Tiger Woods Can Drive but Can’t Drive

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Obviously we have a difference of opinion on what the best golfer ever actually is. We will have to agree to disagree. At least we can agree on who is in the top 2. LOL....

It's close enough that I have waffled on this for years...as my interpretation of the definition of the GOAT shifts...so does the outcome!

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Could you be more specific!?!?!🤷‍♂️

Not really....I don't have any fact based arguments against Tiger being the GOAT. I just don't like him. I don't follow golf enough to tell a 9 iron from a putter, so I guess it really doesn't matter to me. I think its mostly because I like trolling @Firedog whenever I can. ;)

And also, hockey is stick-soccer on ice, and it sucks. ;)

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Not really....I don't have any fact based arguments against Tiger being the GOAT. I just don't like him. I don't follow golf enough to tell a 9 iron from a putter, so I guess it really doesn't matter to me. I think its mostly because I like trolling @Firedog whenever I can. ;)

And also, hockey is stick-soccer on ice, and it sucks. ;)

Hard to argue any of that!!! :ROFLMAO:

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Disclaimer: I am not a Tiger fan and Jack was my all time favorite golfer prior to Kevin Kisner ;)

Yes, Jack had a talented, charismatic foe in Arnie. Tiger didn't have a consistent rival like Jack/Arnie (maybe Phil?), but he played against MUCH, MUCH deeper fields than Arnie or Jack ever did. So to do what he has done against the depth of field, especially later in his career is far more impressive. Tiger had a free-for-all because he was that much better than the rest...not because he played in a diluted field. Jack has said as much, and his peers have largely said the same.

Your mention of golf ball technology in an earlier post is not completely accurate. The Titleist Balata and then Professional were the dominant ball 1990 until 2000 when Tiger had no peer through the Ams and his early years on tour. These balls spun more than the balls in the 70s/80s. The inflection point in golf ball technology was 2000 when the ProV1 became mainstream and the other manufactureers followed suit with solid core technology. Most tour level balls are actually softer today than in previous years (compression), though the thin urethane coverings themselves are a bit harder. And yes they certainly are straighter! However, put $1000 on the line and me in ankle deep rough, downwind, over water to a shallow, rock hard green...then give me the choice of my current irons and ball combo or what I played in the 90's (square grooves and balata). I'll take my old setup every single time!!!

Golf ball technology likely hurt Tiger more than anyone in the history of the game. If the ProV1 had not come out, Tiger could be well over 100 wins and many more majors. The golf ball and later driver technology were great equalizers in allowing the field to close the gap to Tiger. Tiger was a shotmaker on par with the best that ever lived...people seem to forget Tiger in the 90's with pre-solid core balls.

So is he the greatest to ever play? As long as your sole measure of GOAT-ness isn't # of majors won, then it's nearly impossible to make an informed case that he is not...and that is before even considering his impact to the game. No one has impacted the game more than Tiger. As you said, the only reason he didn't do a hell of a lot more, was his inability to get out of his own way.

No one has ever played the game of golf at a higher level than Tiger Woods. To me, that is the definition of the GOAT.

First of all, you post is akin to any of the brothers posts about weather (not an insult!). I believe what you are saying is true, cause it sounds scientificky, but I have NO IDEA what you are saying lol.

2nd of all, I would imagine if Tiger told Nike, "if you don't make a ball I like to hit, I'm dropping you", Nike would have spent $100+ million in golf ball R&D.

My own insight, I think Tiger putt's better than all of his competitors alive or dead. He used to practice putting before and AFTER his 18 holes ever day. His #9 at the last Masters he won is probably my favorite putt of all time, and it didn't even go in.

Just look at 2 hours 38 minutes 45 seconds for the next 2 minutes. He studies, he plans, he "taps". Look at the times it looked like that ball would was about to STOP, as opposed to where it actually did stop.

Amazing putter!!!

Last edited:

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not a big golf fan. I've watched alot over the years.
Tiger ain't the GOAT, to me. Kind'a like John Daly. Just self-destructive.
To me, the real GOAT is Bobby Jones.
If they were all in their prime, with the same clubs and golf balls, on the same courses, Bobby takes them all to school.
Honorable goes a long way in my opinion with golf. No slams on the bear. He was a great one.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm not a big golf fan. I've watched alot over the years.
Tiger ain't the GOAT, to me. Kind'a like John Daly. Just self-destructive.
To me, the real GOAT is Bobby Jones.
If they were all in their prime, with the same clubs and golf balls, on the same courses, Bobby takes them all to school.
Honorable goes a long way in my opinion with golf. No slams on the bear. He was a great one.
You may want to read some history on Bobby Jones in particular early on when they almost did not let him compete due to his behavior. He was no saint..but that does not take away from this skill, and an argument for him skill wise is valid save for the brevity of his career

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
You may want to read some history on Bobby Jones in particular early on when they almost did not let him compete due to his behavior. He was no saint..but that does not take away from this skill, and an argument for him skill wise is valid save for the brevity of his career

I've never heard that about Jones before. I thought he had always been a respectful, devoted to the game, kind of guy.
That kind of ruins my day to learn this. :confused:
But, facts is facts.