Three Top Mtn

Wjmountainman

Button Buck
Any of you ever hunted there? Just bought a house within 5min so I’ll be putting boots on the ground soon to do a little scouting. Hunted Montana a few times & the terrain is obviously similar. Just wondered if any you had ever had any luck there. Have really enjoyed reading this forum the last few months.Tia

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Welcome. West Jefferson was a nice little town last time I was there. Never hunted out that way though. I thought I remembered an old coworker telling me about hunting out there and doing good but I don’t have his contact info.

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep, I told my wife it was a Poor Man’s Yaak, Montana. Looking forward to it.
If you are looking for anyone to hunt with my son is 27, lived in W.Jefferson and Fleetwood when he ws renting and now has bought a house in Boone. He hunts the game lands reularly up that way. I get up there occasionally but live in Wilkes county so hunt mainly down that way.

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep, I told my wife it was a Poor Man’s Yaak, Montana. Looking forward to it.
If you are looking for anyone to hunt with my son is 27, lived in W.Jefferson and Fleetwood when he ws renting and now has bought a house in Boone. He hunts the game lands reularly up that way. I get up there occasionally but live in Wilkes county so hunt mainly down that way.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
It’s some rough country up there. Steep steep steep. Access is not great although I believe that is improving. And the weather can be absolutely brutal. I leased a piece of land right next to Three top for several years. Some nasty snow storms can hit that place, especially after thanksgiving.

Plenty of bears, deer population is decent. Some big boys to be had in there but you better be ready to go deep and steep for them. The fact you can’t camp on it is what keeps me from hunting it much. I know some spots in there, but accessing them requires 2-3 miles of hiking and 2000-2500 feet of elevation gain. I have a ladder stand in there, somewhere. Back when I had the lease that bordered I hauled a ladder back into a gorgeous ridge. It’s still there, at least it was about 7 years ago. I highly doubt anyone has removed it.

Wjmountainman

Button Buck
Yes sir I will certainly keep that in mind closer to the season. Would be nice to have a contact in the area.

Wjmountainman

Button Buck
It’s some rough country up there. Steep steep steep. Access is not great although I believe that is improving. And the weather can be absolutely brutal. I leased a piece of land right next to Three top for several years. Some nasty snow storms can hit that place, especially after thanksgiving.

Plenty of bears, deer population is decent. Some big boys to be had in there but you better be ready to go deep and steep for them. The fact you can’t camp on it is what keeps me from hunting it much. I know some spots in there, but accessing them requires 2-3 miles of hiking and 2000-2500 feet of elevation gain. I have a ladder stand in there, somewhere. Back when I had the lease that bordered I hauled a ladder back into a gorgeous ridge. It’s still there, at least it was about 7 years ago. I highly doubt anyone has removed it.
Wow, crazy to think your stand is still there but i wouldn’t be a bit surprised. Drove up to the parking area twice this week. Certainly looks challenging, but fun. We’re heading back to the SC coast tomorrow so fortunately we’ll miss the big snowfall expected for the area. Thanks for your thoughts.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Christmas in July !
Really great trout fishing.
Work your way into the locals as friends, slowly.
Really good Smallmouth fishing in different places.
You will work hard for bucks. You may be handsomely rewarded from time to time.

Welcome to the forum !

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
Christmas in July !
Really great trout fishing.
Work your way into the locals as friends, slowly.
Really good Smallmouth fishing in different places.
You will work hard for bucks. You may be handsomely rewarded from time to time.

Welcome to the forum !
Not to derail but I would love to be pointed in the smallmouth direction. Especially if it’s river smallies 🤩

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Wow, crazy to think your stand is still there but i wouldn’t be a bit surprised. Drove up to the parking area twice this week. Certainly looks challenging, but fun. We’re heading back to the SC coast tomorrow so fortunately we’ll miss the big snowfall expected for the area. Thanks for your thoughts.
Challenging is a good word. The land I used to lease is going to become part of three top game land next year, I think. It was bought by the nature conservancy and turned over to NCWRC. I will go in there and hunt it. I know the property very well. And I know where some big ones used to hang out. It will require a minimum of 2 hours of walking to get to those spots.

MtnGrouseHtr

Six Pointer
I used to grouse hunt it about 5 years back. It's steep and like most of western nc, it's become not very good grouse habitat. It needs to burn more often or be logged. I didn't focus on deer sign, but I saw quite a few trails. If you are willing to get back 1-2 miles from the trailhead, you could probably do OK. That's starting to mimic Western style hunting, tho.... good or bad...