Thoughts on Shaw barrels

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve got a 7mm Rem Mag that is in need of a new barrel, it has severe throat erosion. My Dad picked it up off the “tip board” at work.
The rifle had been shot a lot, and in rapid succession. The previous owner estimates that he fired at least 3,500 rounds through it and he got it used.
The rifle still shoots good currently, around 7/16” with my current load, but it’s speed has suffered greatly, it’s pushing 150 gr bullet 2700 Fps. That is with 4 gr over max published load.

I’ve come across a Shaw barrel that is a good deal from what I can tell, $160 to my door.

The barrel is new, never installed.
26” 4140 Chrome Moly with Matte Finish
Short chamber 7mm Rem Mag
Recessed crown
1:9.5” twist rate.
For a Post 64 Winchester M70

This is very nearly exactly what I’m looking for.
Just looking for some opinions on the Shaw barrels.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
still shoots good currently, around 7/16” with my current load,

heck,,,I'd keep it - that's decent accuracy and a new barrel in the Shaw price range is a gamble,,

if the velocity (due to range/trajectory desires etc) is important I'd go with a better grade barrel as it may help insure accuracy stays there,,

although the older Shaw barrels were no slouch

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Does the Shaw have AG stamped on it? Those were the "premium" Shaw barrels and I've never installed one that didn't shoot well. Check the contour as well as Shaw made their contours a bit stouter than factory and you may have to do a bit of woodwork to get it to freefloat.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
heck,,,I'd keep it - that's decent accuracy and a new barrel in the Shaw price range is a gamble,,

if the velocity (due to range/trajectory desires etc) is important I'd go with a better grade barrel as it may help insure accuracy stays there,,

although the older Shaw barrels were no slouches

The velocity is not terribly problematic at the moment, but this gun also used to shoot 2960 FPS with 6.0 grs less powder just 2 years and 20 rounds ago, so I’m just reading the writing on the wall.

I’ve admitted to myself that something has to be done sooner rather than later, and I really like this particular rifle, and although it has sentimental value, I want to continue to hunt with it. So a new barrel is in order.

I’m open to other barrel choices, so if there’s another barrel manufacturer you’d recommend, I’m all ears.

Even open to a cartridge change... I know there are several options out there without changing anything other than the barrel.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
also used to shoot 2960 FPS with 6.0 grs less powder just 2 years and 20 rounds ago,

it dropped that fast? 20 rounds it went from 2960 to 2700 fps? Or did I misread that?
that would concern me as well

have you scoped it (hawkeye, etc)?

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Does the Shaw have AG stamped on it? Those were the "premium" Shaw barrels and I've never installed one that didn't shoot well. Check the contour as well as Shaw made their contours a bit stouter than factory and you may have to do a bit of woodwork to get it to freefloat.

It does not have AG stamped on it to my knowledge.

The barrel is a #2.5 heavy sporter.

The rifle currently sits in a Bell and Carlson stock, and isn’t free floated, so I definitely have material to work with as far as that goes.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a shaw barreled 308,,,,it's on their action as well,,,I am happy

I mean, this isn’t going to be some bench rest gun, I intend to carry it and hunt with it.

While it shoots amazing for the shape it’s in, it doesn’t have to shoot quite that well to suit me.
As long as it’s 1 MOA or better, I’ll be fine.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
it dropped that fast? 20 rounds it went from 2960 to 2700 fps? Or did I misread that?
that would concern me as well

have you scoped it (hawkeye, etc)?

Yes. That fast.
As I said in my OP, it has severe throat erosion so I knew it would eventually go down hill, but it shot good, and showed ZERO pressure signs. So I just went with it.

Pre season 2018 I worked up a load for it and after I had my load sighted in, I ran 5 shots through the chronograph, and my average was 2960.

Killed a few deer with it in 2018, 4 shots.

Preseason scope check last year revealed that it was shooting 1” lower than it should. Chalked that up to a bump in the safe, never chronographed it.
Another 1/2 dozen rounds to correct that.
Killed 3 deer with it last year, 3 more shots.

This year, I pulled it out for preseason scope check and it was 2” lower than it should be. Finally ran it through the chronograph again.
My original load was shooting slightly 2585.

I whipped up a few rounds in .5 grain increments, to get it to where it is now.

So yes, it’s going away fast.

For reference:

My original load at 2960
63.0 gr H4831
Fed 215 primer
Remington case
Nosler 150 gr Ballistic Tip
COAL-3.290”

My current load at 2698
69.0 gr H 4831
Fed 215 primer
Remington case
Nosler 150 gr Ballistic Tip
COAL-3.290”

ZERO pressure signs in either of these loads.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
that's wild

get the Shaw - good price on it - my 308 is 5 years old and accuracy is on par for price - if you aren't happy can sell it with 10-20 rounds down it and get something else

or get a shilen, but you'll pay nearly 500

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Being it it finished and short chambered already I'd take a gamble on it for $160.

I have had a couple of Shaw 10/22 barrels that shot very well. I can't recall a bad shooting centerfire barrel from them either. The issues with them being really slow to perform the work requested is a whole different ball game though!

<>< Fish

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
that's wild

get the Shaw - good price on it - my 308 is 5 years old and accuracy is on par for price - if you aren't happy can sell it with 10-20 rounds down it and get something else

or get a shilen, but you'll pay nearly 500

I was kind of leaning that way, I figured for the money, I probably wouldn’t be hurt.
Granted I’ll have to pay someone a bit to fit it to the rifle... but that’s gonna happen no matter what.
Who knows, it might be a tack driver... [emoji2371]

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Being it it finished and short chambered already I'd take a gamble on it for $160.

I have had a couple of Shaw 10/22 barrels that shot very well. I can't recall a bad shooting centerfire barrel from them either. The issues with them being really slow to perform the work requested is a whole different ball game though!

<>< Fish

Luckily this one is where I can have it on my doorstep by the end of the month...LOL!!!

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Luckily this one is where I can have it on my doorstep by the end of the month...LOL!!!

With the variables at play in finish chambering, barrel mounting, stock bedding, crowning of the barrel, load development, scope/mount choice etc... You really won't have an idea how it will shoot until you are setting behind the rifle shooting it. Vegas wouldn't give odds with so many variables thrown in.

Do keep us updated if you get it. Rifle projects are always interesting.

<>< Fish

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
With the variables at play in finish chambering, barrel mounting, stock bedding, crowning of the barrel, load development, scope/mount choice etc... You really won't have an idea how it will shoot until you are setting behind the rifle shooting it. Vegas wouldn't give odds with so many variables thrown in.

Do keep us updated if you get it. Rifle projects are always interesting.

<>< Fish

Oh definitely!

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Even open to a cartridge change... I know there are several options out there without changing anything other than the barrel.

or NOT changing the barrel...
just set it back a couple threads and rechamber to a 761 Sharpe and Hart
7 mag is the host brass for the cartridge too!

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
If ya go with the new Shaw, send your barreled action to them and let them fit it for $135.
They still aint a slouch!

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
If ya go with the new Shaw, send your barreled action to them and let them fit it for $135.
They still aint a slouch!
I did that.
It took a year about to get back and the chamber was oval. They had to rebarrel it.
They claimed it was a tooling problem.
The gun looked great but took too long and haveing the problem kind if nixed having them do anymore.
There barrels are nice and shoot good for hunting guns.
Mine was a 6.5x55

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I did that.
It took a year about to get back and the chamber was oval. They had to rebarrel it.
They claimed it was a tooling problem.
The gun looked great but took too long and haveing the problem kind if nixed having them do anymore.
There barrels are nice and shoot good for hunting guns.
Mine was a 6.5x55

From what I’m hearing, they’re about 15-18 months out on stuff like that.

I have a guy that has done work for me before, David Tooley, he’s more in the 3-4 month range.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
what a shame, they were top notch, and 2-3 mos out back in my rifle building days.
Yep that is why I used them.
At the time they were starting a new line of guns and new people along with tooling.
At one time it was a few guys, now a larger staff with turnover and new tools.
I was corrected when I said it took a year. It was more like 1.5 years and more after it was returned. But I would need to dig up my papers and notes.
It had been so long I start thinking it was lost or would not be returned.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Apparently EVERYONE is way out right now. Looks like Tooley is nearer 10-12 months out right now.

did ya ask the riflesmith in Randleman or the barrel/brake guy in Wendell? they have been spoke about here but I have no other info.

Have ya Googled "gunsmith near southern pines" or how bout "charlotte" ?

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
did ya ask the riflesmith in Randleman or the barrel/brake guy in Wendell? they have been spoke about here but I have no other info.

Have ya Googled "gunsmith near southern pines" or how bout "charlotte" ?

I’ve looked into several.
Including a member here.

Haven’t gotten around to just cold calling yet.
My Dad has a couple guys that he’s used, I’m going to give them a call.

It’s nothing super pressing, it’s not like it’s my only hunting rifle. If it takes 6 months, it’s not a big deal. I would just PREFER it not take that long.