Thompson Center Scout

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have been around Muzzle loading since 1983 and have close to 20 black powder guns (rifles and shotguns) so I am obviously not a novice to the sport, usually get a deer or two with black powder every year. I shoot flintock, sidelock and inlines. I stated all this because of something I just ran into.

I bought a new in the box Thompson Center 50 caliber Scout last week. I have been getting prepared to shoot it to sight in this weekend. I was reading through the manuel that comes with it from TC and it says to use Goex 2Fg black powder or Pyrodex. This really surprised me as I only have ever used 2Fg for .54 or .58 caliber guns, preferring 3Fg for .45 and .50 caliber rifles.

Have I have been wrong all these years? I honestly thought 2Fg was too big a grain for 50 calibers.

What are everyone's thoughts?

By the way rather than void my warranty I am going out tonight and buy a can of 2Fg powder. Also I like real Black Powder over Pyrodex because I believe it ignites easier (better).

Last edited:

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
I have not played with a scout in years . And my memory is not real good, is that the tc with a short barrel and a real funky looking breach plug?

PG2

Ten Pointer
I have a T/C Hawkins in .50 and have shot 2f forever... 90 grains with patch and round ball...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve shot Goex FFg in my Hawken for the entire time I’ve owned it.

90g by volume

When I first got it, I tried FFFg and FFg both to see which shot best. The FFg was hands down more accurate of the two.
I’ve never shot anything besides Goex FFg in it since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C120

Six Pointer
I think most, if not all, TC muzzleloader manuals recommend 2F for 45 and 50 calls. 2F is sometimes had to find for me. I shoot either 2f or 3f with no noticeable difference. May go a bit lighter with the 3f.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve always thought 2F was the standard for .50 cal and up. But it’s not wrong to use 3F.

Should just be a slightly faster burn, shorter pressure curve.

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have not played with a scout in years . And my memory is not real good, is that the tc with a short barrel and a real funky looking breach plug?

Yup

Last edited:

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have shot 3 deer with it now. One shot a piece I guess the 2Fg works :)

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
They made a scout pistol as well......How does the barrel come off??? I saw a scout is a store the other day and came close to buying it but couldnt figure the barrel out.