Thompson Center Renegade

Guybo

Eight Pointer
I'm thinking of getting back into black powder and would like to go with a caplock style, iron sights, and patch and ball. I use to have a Thompson Center Hawken 54 cal that I bought as a kit and put together and killed quite a few deer with it. It's been a while since I had one so i'm pretty much out of the loop on prices and the whole black powder scene.

I really like the Renegade and that's what i'm considering in 50 cal. Where is the best place to purchase one along with components and accessories and would it be better to buy the kit or the complete rifle? Thank You.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
The renegade has been out of production for a good while now, dont believe you will find a kit.
Ive seen some really nice ones on gun broker lately.
I get all my accessories from track of the wolf or dixie gun works.
If you are ever near Hickory, check out Scott at Ledfords Trading Post. He runs across some nice renegades quite frequently. Also my local source for Goex powder.

PG2

Ten Pointer
Yes the T\C Renegade and Hawken are long gone and they do not even have any parts left. I just bought a kit from Traditions for my son and it was a Hawken in Flintlock, it came out really good. We have to replace the sights though.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've had an investarms rifle like this one for more than 25 years, it's a great little gun and every bit as good as a TC if not better. There's one now on Gun Broker and I see them every once in awhile.

Windini

Spike
My previous muzzle loading experience was limited to cap & ball revolver replicas. A few years back, when I was laid up after Achiles tendon surgery, a buddy sent me a Traditions blunderbuss kit he'd picked up at an auction to "keep me busy." It worked! It's fun, and, with a .54 cal patched ball, it's as spot-on accurate as a 1/2-deflated volleyball thrown by a T-Rex with carpal tunnel syndrome. Great fun!

But it sparked my interest again, so I recently picked up a TC Impact entry-level ML when they were on sale at Midway. I'm impressed with the fit & finish, and the trigger seems good. I've picked up some sabots and such, just gotta get some FFG and I'll be ready to try her out.

Guybo

Eight Pointer
Thanks for the feedback and information, I do appreciate it. As mentioned GunBroker has quite a few black powder rifles on their site in good shape. I'm going to keep an eye out there for sure as well as other places. Again thanks.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Renegade is awesome. I have one and another with a bad barrel I got cheap. rest of gun was great so I have every spare part I will ever need. Those Renegade's are awesome.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I love the old Renegades, I've got one you couldn't pry away from me with a crowbar. Picked up a few different barrels here and there when I found them and put them in the safe. It's wearing a .54 right now.....

PG2

Ten Pointer
Hey Mack, do you happen to have a flintlock side lock for an old T\C? I need one and am having a hard time finding one that won;t break the bank..

Guybo

Eight Pointer
Is there going to be much difference in a 50 vs a 54 when it comes to deer? I've had a 54 but never a 50. There appears to be more 50cal available and more 50cal accessories available.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I prefer the .54, I'd opine that they'd hit a little harder but I don't know if the deer can tell the difference.
.50 ammo IS a lot more commonplace but there are still sources online for .54 and you can always pour your own...

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I prefer the .54, I'd opine that they'd hit a little harder but I don't know if the deer can tell the difference.
.50 ammo IS a lot more commonplace but there are still sources online for .54 and you can always pour your own...
I have an extra renegade rifle minus the barrel but I cant find a 54 barrel. online they are unclear to me if they fit.
I would like a 54 barrel for my Renegade stock and lock but right now it is a backup for parts.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mine came off a Hawken Mack, says so right on the barrel. I thought the Hawkens and Renegades were pretty much interchangeable, I also have a double-set trigger on mine. roundball would have a definitive answer, he's the guru on anything and everything TC...
Fit like it was made for it and it's a hair longer than my Renegade barrel.

DarrinG

Six Pointer
Those older TC Renegades are fantastic shooters. I believe they are basically the same rifle as the Hawken, except the Hawken had some brass hardware and a brass patch box on the stock. I have a 1977 year model TC Hawken 50 that is a fantastic PRB shooter once I got the right patch thickness/powder load dialed in. You'll enjoy a Renegade!

AnQlDZG.jpg

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I prefer the .54, I'd opine that they'd hit a little harder but I don't know if the deer can tell the difference..
they can't even tell the difference of a .45 Maxi Ball IME.

ALSO, I'm about to sell a Lyman .50 caplock and will get it at the farm tomorrow for pix for you. wanting $175 firm since the Renegades in .50 are $250 and .54 are $300 at gunsamerica

Last edited:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
.45 maxi is a chunk of lead, 240 grains or so with a big ole meplat up front. Most .530 round balls come in at 224 if memory serves me.

adkarcher

Six Pointer
I just sold a Renegade stock with .54 cal hawken barrel and a complete .50 cal renegade. That .50 cal was strange, did not fit me at all, much different than the Renegade I still own and the other one I sold. They fit good.