Thompson center impact SB model

Lonewolf

Button Buck
I was thinking maybe I should of waited on ordering the impact.
I see the new style has a easy twist to remove the breech plug.
I wonder guys with the older style plug what do you use on the threads
for easy removel.
I used white plumber tape never did run into problem s

ScLowCountry

Six Pointer
I don’t have any issues with my plug. I just carry the wrench in my bag. I use breech plug grease on the threads. And clean the plug if I shoot the gun

Lonewolf

Button Buck
Finally gun came in looks ok to me
Trigger I would say 3 1/2 no creep.
Fiber optic a plus.
I ran a patch douwn the bore mint bore not sure if it going to run tight .
My choice will be BH209
250 bonded bullet Yello sabot
XTP 240 gr mag with MMP 24 black sabot.
I think the gun will serve me well during the last 10 days of black powder season

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We have three in the family. I use BH209, they use Pyrodex pellets. They're all good shooters.

Lonewolf

Button Buck
The gun did come in so far it looks good tight hinge pin.
My question how many guys do a totally dissemble of the gun for storage after the hunting season is over.
Remove the rear stock from what I read are there any small springs you need to be careful they don't fly out.
Trigger is very good measure it with a gauge 3 3/4 lbs breaks like glass

Lonewolf

Button Buck
Well had a chance to sight in the iron sights this morning.
BH 209 90 grains with 250 yellow tip and bonded blue tip again using the yellow sabot.
I had a nice softball group at the 100 yard target.
I think the outside diameter runs .504
First round loaded no problem,a different story on the second round .
I had to lean a little on the Ramrod.
I have some Hornady 240 xtp mag. With mmp #24 black sabot I Know these ant going down the bore with out a struggle I think they run .530
I need to purchase another sabot a y one have a idea which sabot I need.
The xtp mag run .452 ??

firedawg60

Twelve Pointer
I think the XTP mag is .452. I would try either the Harvester Crush Rib or MMP 3-Petal EZ with the crush rib being my first choice.

Lonewolf

Button Buck
I did mount a Weaver scope 3x9 40 mm and off to the 100 yard bench.
Does the impact shoot Damm right.
3 shots touching
80 gr. BH209 with both 250 shockwave yellow and blue tip.
I did try the #24 MMP sabot but the gun seems to favor the Thompson center yellow sabot.
I went threw 15 round no problem with fed 209 caps.. I did find the gun will shoot tighter groups with a clean barrel.
Question using the blue tip bonded 250 gr. Will 80 grains of 209 will the bullet mushrooms or should I run 90 grains of 209.

Clifford66

Button Buck
Lonewolf - don't know if this answers your question or not but most of the time I shoot a 300 grain xtp bullet, but had an opportunity to shoot yard deer. The range was going to be abut 30 yards. I loaded 70 grains of BH209 and a 250xtp. The guy I was hunting with shot a deer in the shoulder, it went through one shoulder blade and was barely hung in the hide on the far side, very flat! Muzzle velocity was probably around 1600 fps.

Last edited:

Lonewolf

Button Buck
I just switched scopes needed a little more eye relief.
I went with a Bushnell banner 3x940 mm.
Long eye relief has a good 5" relief
The other scope I did get clip on the nose with 95 gr. BH209.
I will have to re sight the gun it tomorrow.
I hope the banner will hold up being made in Korea.
I here parts on the scope are out of Japan but assembly is in Korea

Windini

Spike
Looks like the new Speed Breech Plug may fit the older TC impacts. Can anyone confirm this???
I dunno about Old vs New TC Impacts, but here's what the manual has to say about breech plug interchangeability:
View attachment 25879

I got my TC Impact about 2 weeks ago. As stated, I dunno if the older Impacts had the same thread pitch, but the key is apparently the ID-ing groove in the plug. Maybe that only applies to different brands or models.
Remove the rear stock from what I read are there any small springs you need to be careful they don't fly out

I took mine apart ('cause I jammed up the ramrod, oops), and there is one spring for the sliding breech cover that lives in a hole in the stock. It stayed put, no problem, when i pulled the bbl'd action out of the stock. The action (cast housing) is attached to the bbl assembly by either a VERY large dia. pin or is somehow pressed on at the factory. I gave it a tap or two to see if it slid sideways any, but it was solid so I quit messin' with it.

All in all, I found it to be really easy to disassemble, clean, and reassemble.

EDIT: I tried to post a 101kb pic, but it didn't work. Any ideas why?
EDIT 2: Never mind! See next post