This is why I don't like these dang lizards.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I use to fox hunt in Florida lost a few hounds there over the years, thats what got them they killed one were we hunted had a few collars and tracking collars inside him.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Seriously though, a spark plug?
Give the gator a break, how else he gonna eat someone on a 4 wheeler with a little collateral damage from the 4 wheeler???😂

Man I hope we don’t ever get any over here in Tennessee!!

depends on which end of the state you’re on. A few reported every summer showing up in southern west TN. They say they’re coming up from Mississippi.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve watched enough Swamp People to know that that is no less than a 5 ton gator...

Seriously though, a spark plug?
Weight on a limb line. You ever heard of the saying “swallowed hook line and sinker”? Over the years all the steel rusted and only the porcelain and aluminum cap was left.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Give the gator a break, how else he gonna eat someone on a 4 wheeler with a little collateral damage from the 4 wheeler???😂

depends on which end of the state you’re on. A few reported every summer showing up in southern west TN. They say they’re coming up from Mississippi.
Global Warming Baby!

Wife's friends bought a new house in Wilmington. Across the street is a retention pond. Gator hanging out. No way I'd have my 2 year old around that.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
one used to be in the pond behind our house in Chinquapin. It was believed to have been released by a neighbor who caught it down towards Carolina Beach. We saw tracks one day going away from the pond and the gator had never been seen again that I know of.

My buddy told me this weekend though, that there was a rather large one in the creek swamp. We only wonder if it is still living.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
one used to be in the pond behind our house in Chinquapin. It was believed to have been released by a neighbor who caught it down towards Carolina Beach. We saw tracks one day going away from the pond and the gator had never been seen again that I know of.

My buddy told me this weekend though, that there was a rather large one in the creek swamp. We only wonder if it is still living.
THis was near Carolina Beach, closer really to there than much of Wilmington. But my wife's uncle has had them in his marina in the salt in Wilmington. And no reason they couldn't be in Chinquapin, could easily work up the NE Cape Fear River.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
THis was near Carolina Beach, closer really to there than much of Wilmington. But my wife's uncle has had them in his marina in the salt in Wilmington. And no reason they couldn't be in Chinquapin, could easily work up the NE Cape Fear River.
there was a rather large one at River Landing last year out on 41. No doubt that they can come up the river.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
nccatfisher, I did look before I posted about dog aging a gator. Oops. I have aften wondered and I have heard of people regularly losing dogs to gators, even a few here in NC.

Dang, I even posted in the wrong forum. Must be really losing it! LOL

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
nccatfisher, I did look before I posted about dog aging a gator. Oops. I have aften wondered and I have heard of people regularly losing dogs to gators, even a few here in NC.

Dang, I even posted in the wrong forum. Must be really losing it! LOL
Man don't sweat it, I did laugh when you realized where you posted it though. LOL

Reactions: DRS

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
There are quite a few in New River and its tributaries in Onslow County. Also seen several on the White Oak upstream from Haywood Landing. Had one try and get my dog once on Queens Creek. Always wondered where the most northern alligator resided. I figured they must reach up towards Pamlico River or even Albemarle Sound.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
There are quite a few in New River and its tributaries in Onslow County. Also seen several on the White Oak upstream from Haywood Landing. Had one try and get my dog once on Queens Creek. Always wondered where the most northern alligator resided. I figured they must reach up towards Pamlico River or even Albemarle Sound.

See them along 64 in Dare Co. I’ve seen pics supposedly from Back Bat refuge as well.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
See them along 64 in Dare Co. I’ve seen pics supposedly from Back Bat refuge as well.
John has some on his club in SC, I saw a whopper there years ago. My big male cur had just gone snorkeling for a squirrel we had shot in the swamp when I saw a damn log move. I told the guys that was it, we could move to higher ground or they could stay. But my azz and my dog was moving, he wasn't going to become the main course.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Years ago a high dollar hound went missing in Florida. Think gator was located by the tracking collar in its stomach. Gator was "hanging" out close to an animal trail. Think there was evidence of another dog haven been eaten.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Years ago a high dollar hound went missing in Florida. Think gator was located by the tracking collar in its stomach. Gator was "hanging" out close to an animal trail. Think there was evidence of another dog haven been eaten.
That was how they found the exact one that had eaten one of a friends dogs in La. a few years back, collar was still transmitting. Lets just say the gator wound up on the menu.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I lived right on the boundary of Fort Bragg back in the mid 1990's, right on the Little River west of Vass on Riverview Dr. My neighbor was always saying watch out for the gator. One day I was at the river and the neighbor said the gator almost got their dog. They had pictures this time. I never played in the river at night any more. My roommate and I would go and see what I kind of fish we could find around the old mill at night, after all we were aspiring wildlife technicians. According to distribution maps for NC this is actually one area where gators could be. Well, I know there was one.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
on the Little River west of Vass on Riverview Dr.

dang, we were (sort of) neighbors,,,,

in 1985 I bought a lot on Riverview Dr, on the little river,,, ditched it to buy the land in Hoke County,,,

I like the Little River,,