• Just a heads up for those of you who use Tapatalk to access NCH&F. I will be removing support for that app effective immediately. The reasons are many, but the primary one is that it allows spammers to post here without first being authorized to do so. This, coupled with their increasingly aggressive and invasive ads and pop ups, has caused us to remove them from the site entirely.

This Doe seems to have bonded with me OK...

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
This was the 5th time she's stepped out of the dozen 'Welfare Deer' when they hit the back yard.
Walks right to me when I sit down on the back steps with the corn pail, and eats right at my feet.

View attachment 63953
That is awesome Roundball, have tried for a couple years to get them to respond like that in my backyard, I can toss than stuff of the deck ,but not comfortable enough to let me get that close. IMG_20201027_120701.jpg

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's awesome! But if I'm seeing it right she's still got an eye on ya.....
I’ve noticed that in different circumstances but
am always undecided if that’s just the way they appear.

For example, she’ll routinely lift her head and swivel it completely around to look at other deer behind her, and is only about a foot away from me, apparently not worried

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Have you tried cutting up an apple and see if she'll eat out of your hand?
Yes, 3 times now...we keep a bowl on the counter and drop apple cores, carrot pieces into it for Deer. I hold an apple slice out to her and when she takes it she closes her lips around it and they slide over my fingertips in the process...they also absolutely love saltines

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I stepped into the kitchen an hour ago...and there were a dozen Welfare Deer bedded down in the back yard. The bulk of the nasty pine pollen is behind us now…temp was down to 60*…very low humidity in the 30’s…so I decided to step out with some apple slices and pail of corn.

Hadn’t even started down the steps good and one stood up, stretched, and began walking to me…sure enough, it was ‘Faith’.
Sat down and fed her about dozen pieces of apple, one at a time and she just gobbled them up.
Then she started on the corn pail…after a while she had her fill…and did this:

Looked up at me with eye contact for a moment…took a step closer to reach my knees and began licking my left knee !! Licked it about a dozen times them turned and sauntered off…
:)

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Looked up at me with eye contact for a moment…took a step closer to reach my knees and began licking my left knee !! Licked it about a dozen times them turned and sauntered off…

she was just letting you know she'll be looking for ya come early november,,,;)

CutNRun

Eight Pointer
Contributor
That's really cool Roundball, she's definitely your buddy. I can't wait for your reaction the first time she brings a fawn up to you.

There's a doe that visits here daily who was orphaned very young. Her mother was killed up by the road and some of the bullies in the herd picked on her. She'd rear up on her hind legs and strike at the adults who were picking on her...which is pretty bold for a spotted fawn. She got thumped a lot, but eventually figured out who to avoid. I named her Laila for Laila Ali (the only female boxer I could think of). Since her mother and grandmother both trusted me, she didn't know different from the start. I would let her come eat straight out of the feed bucket. She got very accustomed to hanging out near me and often licks my arms after I feed. I think some of it might be gratitude and some of it might be salts from perspiration on the skin of my bare arm. She is comfortable with me picking ticks off her ears. She will turn 8 years old later this month...her grandmother visited here for 13 years.

Jim

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Similar situation here since I retired several years ago...helped a severely injured Fawn over all the summer months until it got healthy again...she showed up pregnant the following spring and has continued to return every spring to have her Fawn(s) out back and bring to the back yard for food & water until around the October Rut time frame.

Injuries as a Fawn 6 years ago...hide & meat ripped off tail broken, etc.
And and a photo of grown up Broke-Butt in 2019 or 2020.
Named her Broke-Butt.

ARS80.jpg

BRS.jpg

CRS45.JPG

CutNRun

Eight Pointer
Contributor
About 4 years ago, the doe I named Laila was obviously pregnant and was getting close to dropping her fawn. Like usual, a few days before time, she broke away from the herd to find a safe, secure, low traffic area to have her fawn. I hadn't seen her in a couple of days and was worried for her. In the middle of the next afternoon, I was getting some water at the kitchen sink & saw Laila walk across the back yard, obviously still pregnant. I knew she wouldn't come close to me, so I left her alone. She was headed down towards the creek, where there's a lot of weeds and briars. I was glad she was safe, but didn't think too much more about it.

About 2 hours later, I went to refill my water glass and looked out the window again. Laila was walking up from the creek bottom, obviously not pregnant any more. She'd had her fawn somewhere close to the house. I grabbed an apple, a Nature Valley oat & honey granola bar (she loves them), and the bucket with some corn. Laila twitched her tail, licked her chops, and walked right up to me. She was eating apple about as fast as I could slice it. Suddenly, she whipped her head around and looked down towards the creek. Laila spun around and walked quickly towards the weeds. Next thing I know, she has a tiny fawn with her that's trying to keep it's legs under it. It was walking wobbly and shaky enough that I thought something was wrong with it. It was no bigger than a medium sized house cat. She brought it right up to me, where it plopped down between me and Laila, less than 2 feet from me. I really wasn't sure how she might react if I approached the fawn, but she didn't seem to care, and just wanted more to eat.

I know that fawns are born with no scent to protect them when they're newborn up until they're old enough to run away from danger. So, I didn't touch the fawn, but I held my hand out and let him (it turned out to be a buck) smell me, so he'd know my scent. At that moment, I thought "How cool is this? This fawn will have known me longer than anybody else on the planet, except for his mother". The fawn struggled to stand, so he wobbled over to the big maple tree and plopped down at the base of the trunk. Laila hung around until most of the food was gone, before she collected the young buck up and went off into the woods.

That buck ended up being like a puppy. he'd bed down in the shade behind the house and wait for me to come home from work. He'd get up and follow me around as I fed the others, though sometimes as I was getting ready to sling another handful of corn, he'd lay his nose over my wrist, so I couldn't throw, then eat the corn in my hand. He would allow me to pull ticks off his ears and he enjoyed having his neck and ears scratched. I named him Rocky, because the place he'd bed down in the shade was up against a short stone wall. As he got older and started growing antlers, he'd want to spar with me, I guess because he considered me part of the herd. Most of the time I could stiff arm his neck to hold him off, but the closer to shedding his velvet he got, the more crafty he got about wanting to fight. he never did stick me with an antler, but he sure did try. He left for good on September 19th and I haven't seen him since. It was a fun experience being around a juvenile buck for the first 16 months of his life. I wish I took more pictures and video. Here's a few. I really would love to raise a buck around here again, he was a character. I always kind of expected him to return, but he never did.

Jim

Rocky's Birthday.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Rescue44

Twelve Pointer
About 4 years ago, the doe I named Laila was obviously pregnant and was getting close to drop her fawn. Like usual, a few days before time, she broke away from the herd to find a safe, secure, low traffic area to have her fawn. I hadn't seen her in a couple of days and was worried for her. In the middle of the next afternoon, I was getting some water at the kitchen sink & saw Laila walk across the back yard, obviously still pregnant. I knew she wouldn't come close to me, so I left her alone. She was headed down towards the creek, where there's a lot of weeds and briars. I was glad she was safe, but didn't think too much more about it.

About 2 hours later, I went to refill my water glass and looked out the window again. Laila was walking up from the creek bottom, obviously not pregnant any more. She'd had her fawn somewhere close to the house. I grabbed an apple, a Nature Valley oat & honey granola bar (she loves them), and the bucket with some corn. Laila twitched her tail, licked her chops, and walked right up to me. She was eating apple about as fast as I could slice it. Suddenly, she whipped her head around and looked down towards the creek. Laila spun around and walked quickly towards the weeds. Next thing I know, she has a tiny fawn with her that's trying to keep it's legs under it. It was walking wobbly and shaky enough that I thought something was wrong with it. It was no bigger than a medium sized house cat. She brought it right up to me, where it plopped down between me and Laila, less than 2 feet from me. I really wasn't sure how she might react if I approached the fawn, but she didn't seem to care, and just wanted more to eat.

I know that fawns are born with no scent to protect them when they're newborn up until they're old enough to run away from danger. So, I didn't touch the fawn, but I held my hand out and let him (it turned out to be a buck) smell me, so he'd know my scent. At that moment, I thought "How cool is this? This fawn will have known me longer than anybody else on the planet, except for his mother". The fawn struggled to stand, so he wobbled over to the big maple tree and plopped down at the base of the trunk. Laila hung around until most of the food was gone, before she collected the young buck up and went off into the woods.

That buck ended up being like a puppy. he'd bed down in the shade behind the house and wait for me to come home from work. He'd get up and follow me around as I fed the others, though sometimes as I was getting ready to sling another handful of corn, he'd lay his nose over my wrist, so I couldn't throw, then eat the corn in my hand. He would allow me to pull ticks off his ears and he enjoyed having his neck and ears scratched. I named him Rocky, because the place he'd bed down in the shade was up against a short stone wall. As he got older and started growing antlers, he'd want to spar with me, I guess because he considered me part of the herd. Most of the time I could stiff arm his neck to hold him off, but the closer to shedding his velvet he got, the more crafty he got about wanting to fight. he never did stick me with an antler, but he sure did try. He left for good on September 19th and I haven't seen him since. It was a fun experience being around a juvenile buck for the first 16 months of his life. I wish I took more pictures and video. Here's a few. I really would love to raise a buck around here again, he was a character. I always kind of expected him to return, but he never did.

Jim

View attachment 64554
Very cool story!!

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
About 4 years ago, the doe I named Laila was obviously pregnant and was getting close to dropping her fawn. Like usual, a few days before time, she broke away from the herd to find a safe, secure, low traffic area to have her fawn. I hadn't seen her in a couple of days and was worried for her. In the middle of the next afternoon, I was getting some water at the kitchen sink & saw Laila walk across the back yard, obviously still pregnant. I knew she wouldn't come close to me, so I left her alone. She was headed down towards the creek, where there's a lot of weeds and briars. I was glad she was safe, but didn't think too much more about it.

Jim

View attachment 64554
Great story & experience !