Thesis Defense (Updated with date/time)

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Some folks in the past have expressed an interest in attending my Thesis Defense. It's basically a 45 minute presentation to the public about my project, and then a closed-door arse-whipping (not open to public). We haven't set a date yet, but it will likely be mid-April. If you want to come and believe you can then please let me know so that I can make sure we get a room with enough seats. It'll be on NC State Campus in Raleigh, and will likely be sometime between 10-4 on whatever day we pick. The presentation is ~45 minutes, then the whipping can take anywhere from 30 minutes (not likely) to the rest of the day. Afterward we'll probably go out to eat so I can lick my wounds and either celebrate (if I pass) or mourn (the other thing).

(We've set the presentation for Thursday, 18 April, at 9:00 a.m. somewhere on NC State Campus in Raleigh. That will last about 45 minutes, and we'll go out to eat ~noon. If you plan to come please let me know within the next week. Nobody will be turned away, but we need to make sure to get a big enough room. I'll let anybody know location details closer to the date)

Last edited:

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Masters or PhD? What area? Know you are likely glad the finish line is close. Good luck on presenting and defending!!!

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good luck. See if you can get my big brother to attend. I'm sure that'll be entertaining for both of you.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
I've been through that once before. It's really not bad at all IF you did a good job of selecting who's on your committee. LOL
BTW, what's the title of your thesis?

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
Assuming this is for your otter research? For those of you that don't know, LD has done more for NC wildlife through his studies and research than most of us combined. Between his otter work, partnering with NCWRC bear and furbearer biologist on bear studies, and pushing trappers to contribute bobcat skulls for another student's research, he has spent countless hours and undoubtedly plenty of his own money to make a difference.

Charlie - you will do great. I have faith. However, I am allergic to the NCSU campus!:)

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Wishing you the very best of luck. I have another year in my masters program. Wish I would be able to get out there, but doubt I will. Will be praying for ya.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for all of the support. This is for my otter research. I haven't titled it yet, but the project focuses on various population demographics (reproduction, disease, heavy metals, diet, age) of the otter population in the state.

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Best of luck LD! I suspect you will do fine. The only students I have known that screwed up their defenses were the ones that didn't try, didn't prepare or thought they knew everything. I don't think you fall into any of those camps! :) As an old mentor of mine used to say "It is most important to know what you don't know and not to pretend that you do!"

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
We've set the presentation for Thursday, 18 April, at 9:00 a.m. somewhere on NC State Campus in Raleigh. That will last about 45 minutes, and we'll go out to eat ~noon. If you plan to come please let me know within the next week. Nobody will be turned away, but we need to make sure to get a big enough room. I'll let anybody know location details closer to the date.

Philjam

Spike
We've set the presentation for Thursday, 18 April, at 9:00 a.m. somewhere on NC State Campus in Raleigh. That will last about 45 minutes, and we'll go out to eat ~noon. If you plan to come please let me know within the next week. Nobody will be turned away, but we need to make sure to get a big enough room. I'll let anybody know location details closer to the date.

Thank you for the invitation, I would like to attend.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Just a reminder for anybody that wants to come, this is happening tomorrow (Thursday 18th). We'll be in room 1214 in Jordan Addition on State Campus, just off of Western Blvd. The room is on the ground floor and is affectionally referred to as "the fishbowl" because of it's glass wall facing the hall. Note, if you're near the library you're in Jordan Hall, not Jordan Addition.

The closest public parking deck is the Dan Allen deck on Dan Allen Dr., but you have to access it from Hillsborough St. (there's a gate on Dan Allen to prevent through traffic). You could also park at the Reynolds deck (shorter bus ride from there).

Jordan Addition: 2720 Faucette Dr, Raleigh, NC 27606
Dan Allen Deck: 110 Dan Allen Dr, Raleigh, NC 27607
If you park at Dan Allen the quickest way to Jordan Addition is to walk down Dan Allen towards Western Blvd till you get to the Biltmore/Jordan complex. Jordan Addition is the last building in that complex. If you take the bus it'll go all the way around campus before you get there, so be sure you have a good 30 minutes or more.
Reynolds Coliseum Deck: 201 Jeter Dr, Raleigh, NC 27606
If you park at Reynolds you can walk to the railroad side and catch the Wolfline (it's free) to Jordan Addition. You'll want to get off at the stop just before Western Blvd.

Thanks again!