The ups and downs of bowhunting

NCBowhunter84

Button Buck
Had two highs and a bad low this weekend. Started off Friday evening by shooting the biggest bodied doe I’ve ever killed. I’m 6’1” and 235 lbs, lift weights about every day and I struggled loading her into the bed of the truck. Took my oldest son hunting Sunday morning. He shoots a crossbow as he’s not quite drawing enough weight back yet with his compound. Shot a good sized doe and she was pouring blood out until it just stopped. After about 300 yards. The hit was in the lungs as I watched it go through her. I searched on my hands and knees from last point of blood, grid searched with the whole family and even brought the house dog along to help. No luck finding that deer. After searching the entire day. Go out this morning and shoot my first coyote with a bow at 30 yards. I was very happy. It’s amazing how doing this can take us from the lowest possible points to some of the highest.
b0d8dd9deed19efdbfb6120f2c85b918.jpg
977973460bd654ecd583fb468bb2e488.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEW2NC

Button Buck
Tracking deer that have been double lung shot or heart shot for hundreds of yards is getting tiring. Rarely have to do this with a gun. All my buddies say its why they don't bow hunt. I'm starting to get it. But its also why I can't stop. Still looking to get that archery monster.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
A number of years ago I helped a friend recover a modest buck that he drilled in the heart, and it seemed that we had to track that deer 200 yards or so , not in an open field , but in some semithick woods. We were both amazed that he went that far. Congrats!!

NCBowhunter84

Button Buck
I have no idea how his deer went as far as she did. She ran out about 35 yards after the shot and stood there flickering her tail and bleeding. Then ran off. This is the blood from where she stood around after the shot and it was the same color for the whole trail until it just stopped.
63222038587d1af1c7744037d36fd0db.jpg
3c056e3867988e52578bf2ebe4774ce6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
"double lung" and "heart" shot deer that run hundreds of yards is deer hunter code for single lung, liver, brisket, or backstrap.

I had a heart shot doe run 100 yds. Amazing.

But Stevie Wonder could have tracked her.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
A double lung or heart shot is a dead deer.. they may run a few hundred years but not typically

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They can run quite far if pushed, the best plan is to wait at least an hour no matter how good you think the shot was unless the deer is actually observed falling within sight.