The stupid things dogs do

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was in doing some routine maint. on my dogs this evening and in one of my deer dogs kennels. I went to pull my knife out of my pocket and I also keep a lighter in my pocket. No I don't smoke but after a canoe dump years ago and about freezing to death I have always kept a way to build a fire. Anyway the lighter fell out of my pocket. That fool hound swallowed it before it bounced.

I almost let it go but I was afraid the acid in her stomach might attack the metal in it quick enough to release the gas and cause issues so I dosed her up with peroxide. It came up about as quick as it went down. SMDH
 
Last edited:

Rescue44

Twelve Pointer
I was in doing some routine maint. on my dogs this evening and in one of my deer dogs kennels. I went to pull my knife out of my pocket and I also keep a lighter in my pocket. No I don't smoke but after a canoe dump years ago and about freezing to death I have always kept a way to build a fire. Anyway the lighter fell out of my pocket. That fool hound swallowed it before it bounced.

I almost let it go but I was afraid the acid in her stomach might attack the metal in it quick enough to release the gas and cause issues so I dosed her up with peroxide. It came up about as quick as it went down. SMDH

Should have waited with another lighter. Could have put her in orbit...and singed your nose hairs. lol. Glad you knew what to do.
 

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
my lab that passed this winter (16 years old) would about eat ANYTHING, especially when she was younger

when she was 3-4 she ate a dang woven nylon dog collar!! that action proved how ignorant she was in some ways,,, but also proved how POWERFUL a dogs stomach is,,, her guts shredded that nylon into long strings,,, it was a mess when it finally passed,,, image what I am saying,,, orange nylon strings,,hundreds,,, coming out ,,,,

a mess

dogs,,, love them, but WOW sometimes
 

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
my lab that passed this winter (16 years old) would about eat ANYTHING, especially when she was younger

when she was 3-4 she ate a dang woven nylon dog collar!! that action proved how ignorant she was in some ways,,, but also proved how POWERFUL a dogs stomach is,,, her guts shredded that nylon into long strings,,, it was a mess when it finally passed,,, image what I am saying,,, orange nylon strings,,hundreds,,, coming out ,,,,

a mess

dogs,,, love them, but WOW sometimes
Yep, one of the best dogs I ever owned about gave me a heart attack. He was a pig, loved to eat, but was my buddy I let him out every day when I was feeding the other dogs. I have conveyor belting in front of my kennel so it won't get muddy. That stuff is so heavy I have to get my tractor to move it. Well I had a influx of mice that had gotten under it and would get in the kennels to get crumbs of dog feed.

I got rat poison and had gone down it lifting it up with the tractor and throwing it under there to get rid of the mice. When I finished I let my dog out and began washing down kennels. I was about half through and looked back and that big ape had pulled that conveyor matting back and was going down there eating that rat poison. I about had a heart attack. I jerked him up and started to the vet. But called him instead. He told me about the peroxide trick and told me if I had it on hand do it because it the poison would probably be in his system to I got there.

I had a quart of peroxide and drew up 100 ML in a syringe and stuck it down his throat. I bet I didn't get 20 ML down him when his gut erupted. He puked up all that rat poison, I knew how many blocks he had eaten. He had crunched a couple blocks but it all came up. I dosed him again but all that came up was a couple shards. He was empty. I have had a couple instances to have to do it since and have had friends that have had to do it. If you get to them quick enough it will make them empty their gut, it is just a matter of if you get it before their body has absorbed what you want out.
 

surveyor

Twelve Pointer
I know chocolate is supposed to be bad for dogs, but we got home one day and found that our lab-boxer mix ate an entire bag of Hershey's kisses.

Foil and all.

And, aside from the glittery landmines in the back yard the next couple days, it was an otherwise unnoteworthy event.

That dog was pretty much indestructible.
 

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
The Boykin pup I kept out of my older female is terrible. She just turned a year old. She’ll go outside and reach through the fence and grab the rose bush and then come in and bleed on the furniture from her mouth. She’s eat so much stuff I don’t even worry about it hurting her. She’s got a cast iron stomach.
 

Avery Creek

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
We get lots of surprises when new dogs come in the kennel, cell phone case, rubber wrist bracelets and random articles of clothing are pretty commonly found the first couple days a dog is here.

Perhaps the funniest was a younger (mid to late 20's) couple brought their pup in for training. Before they left the husband told me that the pup had got into the laundry and a pair of his wife's underwear were missing, but it had been over a week since he ate them and they never came out. A couple days later I walk out to the kennel and saw an odd pile of poop in the dog's kennel and sure enough the panties had finally passed. Hosed them off and it was a pair of crotchless women's panties. Couldn't resist so I hosed them off real good and took a picture, text it to both of them asking if they wanted me to wash them and mail them back. Let's just say the young lady who had wore those was extremely embarrassed.
 

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
My dog Cooper ate 2ft of ace wrap with the velcro. I used it for his tail injury he had. Peroxide and it all came up in one piece. He eats anything food that drops, carrots, lettuce, paper, anything.
 
Top