The sexy 6.5 creedmoor vs the boring old 270 winchester

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Lol. Every article written about the 6.5CM is either how it’s the best, most effective, efficient cartridge ever developed or how there’s already a 60+ year old cartridge that does pretty much everything it does.

It sure does get people fired up.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Good read. A friend of mine (scout sniper) and I had this conversation the other day.

6mm250

Eight Pointer
The Creedmoor is nothing but a modernized version of the old 250 Savage.
Look at the cartridge drawings.
They got rid of the case body taper the 250 has and they bumped up the bullet diameter a notch.

Mike78894636_10218076266157282_9071608053190623232_o.jpg

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I love my creed. However, I say that the 30-06, 30-30, and .308 will be around longer than all of em!

I like the old 30-06....but I think it is slowing down on the market a lot. I’m shooting it, but not near as many folks as there used to be.

I’m going to compare the .30-06 with 150s or 165s to the 6.5 Creedmoor and see how that looks.

.30-06 with a 165 high HC bullet is no slouche.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
I like the old 30-06....but I think it is slowing down on the market a lot. I’m shooting it, but not near as many folks as there used to be.

I’m going to compare the .30-06 with 150s or 165s to the 6.5 Creedmoor and see how that looks.

.30-06 with a 165 high HC bullet is no slouche.

I think the market for 30-06 is slowing and in my life time they may stop producing rifles in 30-06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
killed my first deer with a 6.5....

6.5 carcano,,,,(6.5×52mm)...

And yet, you do not go all over the interwebs touting that is the best thing inventimed since sliced bread and of others do not have it, that they are inferior. That, in a nutshell, is what I have taken from the creedmore lovers. I'm just tired of the claims of greatness, and am happy with what I have, as it works well for me and gets the job done within the parameters I desire. Let's see how the accolades hold up 5 years from now. Personally, I feel like so many have fallen in the trap that the novelty will not wear off quick enough, and they will continue to justify their purchase...

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
And yet, you do not go all over the interwebs touting that is the best thing inventimed since sliced bread and of others do not have it, that they are inferior. That, in a nutshell, is what I have taken from the creedmore lovers. I'm just tired of the claims of greatness, and am happy with what I have, as it works well for me and gets the job done within the parameters I desire. Let's see how the accolades hold up 5 years from now. Personally, I feel like so many have fallen in the trap that the novelty will not wear off quick enough, and they will continue to justify their purchase...

I have both. Actually... I have all three, 270 WSM included. The 6.5 is more fun to shoot. Have a 308 on the way. They all kill deer. Having many rifles in multiple calibers is fun. And if the apocalypse comes, we’ll be happy to have any and all of them. Novelty is a wonderful part of life. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
you do not go all over the interwebs touting that is the best thing inventimed since sliced bread and of others do not have it, that they are inferior.

you been following me???

maybe I have? that 6.5 carcano with that 156 grain super long bullet is a killin' sum gun!!!

ok,,,had my fun - take care

BVB

Four Pointer
Its an explosion pushing a projectile just like any other cartridge. It has a cool name and was marketed perfectly.
But, Anyone that says it doesn't perform well probably just dislikes it because its popular. I've never understood people who try and find fault or flaw in everything.
I love mine. And it kicks less than a 270 or 308 for me. jmo

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I love mine. And it kicks less than a 270 or 308 for me. jmo

factor of all sorts of things,,,,stock configuration, rifle weight,,,and PHYSICS,,,

a less powerful round recoils less than more powerful ones in the same rifle (design/weight),,,

simple math,,,

I have nothing against a 6.5 creedmoor,,,just like I have nothing against my 7mm TCU,,,each are a cartridge designed for a purpose,,,whether really needed or not is totally irrelevant,,,when has relevance stopped people from coming up with things?

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Flavor of the month. Not really needed, but a killing beast nonetheless. Biggest plus is, there's so many out there now, the ammo will never go away

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I bought my first 6.5 CM when they first came out (had to special order it!) and everyone thought that I was nuts. I recall going to a gun/pawn shop in Fayetteville and buying 8 boxes of 140 Hornady Match ammo for $100. That was when Hornady had the reloading data on the box with grains of powder (Varget I believe?) COAL, ballistics, etc. The proprietor was so glad to see that ammo go out the door since no one would buy it.

Since then it has become the rage and I think it is hilarious to listen to the local "experts" at the gun shops spouting on about how fast the cartridge is, how it will kill a full grown T-Rex with one shot and on and on. Idiots!

The 6.5 Creedmoor was designed as a target/match round for benchrest and F Class shooters, the secret being the long, high BC bullet. Velocities are generally in the 2800 fps or lower range. I have a great target load that runs 2630 fps. Another important factor is recoil. The 6.5 is very pleasant to shoot. No one wants to get behind a 270 or 3006 and shoot 30 to 60 rounds off a bench or prone. Of the three Creeds I own, two weigh over 14 pounds. I did notice that in the article the velocities cited were 3,000 fps for the .270 and 2750 for the Creed. When I bump the velocity with a 142 SMK up to 3,000 fps in the Creed the trajectory at 800 yards is about the same as the .270.

The 6.5 CM is capable of taking medium thin skinned game (deer and antelope). So is just about every other cartridge out there, especially here in NC where a 150 pound deer is considered "big" and anything approaching 200 pounds is considered "huge". I have shot deer with my Creed as I have with every other rifle I own but my goto deer rifles are a 7mm-08 and a 30-06. When I want to shoot paper or steel at extended ranges (600 yards plus) I use the Creedmoor with high quality/high BC bullets since that is what it was designed to do from the beginning.

The .270 in the hands of a competent rifleman will take any North American game. Jack O'Conner proved that many years ago.
When I think 6.5 Creed I think target shooting and with the .270 I think hunting.

Last edited: