The Panic Purchases Have Already Commenced

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nobody thinks to go get the baby wipes.

get the baby wipe warmer in same isle, you’ll thank me later

only 15 minutes I get to myself with 3 kids.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
@roundball @Ldsoldier @Bailey Boat

It’s liable to get just as bad or worse than last time. Just be safe and prepare is all we can do. And BB you’re right about how I shouldn’t have engaged. There was no talking to that woman. At all. Her mind was made up from the start.

@KrisB

While I agree with most of what you said, and do hope to in the future be more self sufficient, I wouldn’t call buying enough goods to be prepared selfish. It may be selfish as a whole, the whole over buying garbage, but I just don’t see the silver living in me not buying a little more than I need in hopes of not running out, when absolutely no one else is gonna only buy what is necessary. In a few weeks it’ll all most likely be bought up and I ain’t trying to use a leaf. I don’t have any shame in it personally. And neither should anyone else. Make sure you’re family has all they need and then some. Just my 2 cents man.

KrisB is too polite and too much of a lady to tell you that she is indeed a lady. So I’ll do it for her. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nobody thinks to go get the baby wipes.

get the baby wipe warmer in same isle, you’ll thank me later

only 15 minutes I get to myself with 3 kids.
I do lol

I have a 15 month old so I’m very well stocked on baby wipes, we go through those things like crazy, use them for everything

We have a warmer as well!

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They don't all use snowmobiles. A few still use dogs.

I apologize for using the word selfish. I'm not here to argue with anyone. Yes, you're right. For some people, the grocery store is essential. I'm just looking at it from my own perspective and it's just my opinion.
I agree with what you said

It’s inconvenient but not the end of the world if I can’t find TP at the store

We are quite spoiled nowadays but that’s because we live in the greatest nation on earth!

I can do without TP and a lot of other things.... my wife will be super grumpy without though so I try to have enough of a supply lol

CarolinaReaper

A wipe warmer? What sort of fancy bathroom experience is this? 😅
Hadn't thought about those at all. I don't have kids so that's probably why but makes sense.

Also update from my local Wal-Mart. The TP aisle was nearly completely empty and I asked one of the employees what they had heard regarding item availability. He said that everything is getting bought up as quick as they can put it out on the shelf and looks like it's gonna stay that way for a few weeks.

Second update from a guy who works at my local dollar store. He said he has a cousin who works for one of the large paper companies out in California that supply smaller chains with goods, like TP, paper towels, napkins, etc. He said that guy told him straight up there was NO shortage of goods at all. They had warehouses chock full of it. Just the industry leaders and the government working together to scare people into bulk buying and clearing the shelve for weeks.

I was shocked to hear that bit. I know the guy who told me that a little. He's been working there for years, so I have no reason to believe he lied to me for nothing. Really ticked me off. If that were totally true and there are warehouses full of it, it's criminal what their doing to us. Just sick man. All this to make a profit.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
They don't all use snowmobiles. A few still use dogs.

I apologize for using the word selfish. I'm not here to argue with anyone. Yes, you're right. For some people, the grocery store is essential. I'm just looking at it from my own perspective and it's just my opinion.
Definitely a few lol, from the times I have been there and my friends who lived there off grid. No arguing at all I guess what I was trying to say everyone's idea of essential is different. For some its gas, bullets, telephones, food, cigs, tp, etc...
I moved to where I am to lead a more self reliant lifestyle raising chickens ,turkeys, beef cattle, food plots, garden etc.. so some things are not so essential.:)

CarolinaReaper

KrisB is too polite and too much of a lady to tell you that she is indeed a lady. So I’ll do it for her. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? Well, I had no idea. Thanks for letting me know.

@KrisB

I wasn't trying to be confrontational, just adding my honest opinion on it.
All I know is I don't wanna worry about dang TP! 😅 😂

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
The few trappers up in Alaska who run their traplines in the actual wilderness there, hundreds of miles from the nearest city, have had no problems going without store-bought toilet paper for years. There are things you can do/make/use/substitute instead of having to buy toilet paper from the store, no matter whether you live in civilization or the wilderness. My goal is to learn how to do those things and do them rather than participating in this panic-driven "essential" goods buying frenzy. It's ridiculous and selfish, in my opinion.
More power to you. Personally I got nothing to prove to anybody that way. Worst come to worst I’ll survive. I’m not worried about that, but I’m not gonna brag about scratching up my rear just so I can sound tough on an Internet forum.

mj1angier

Four Pointer
My replay on another forum:

It’s funny that folks make fun of TP hoarder but bitch about bare ammo shelves- you had as much chance to stock up as the next guy. Failure to prepare is only one person fault.

Now excuse me as I go eat Taco Bell and I do random mag dumps...

And

All this is true, but missis the point. We have been thru shortages of both items with a return to normal supply after. But folks still acts surprised when it happens again. And then they become almost Communist in their calls against stocking up (AKA hording) so that everyone can have some. Sorry, but if they failed to see shortages coming, how is that anyone problem but their own? Just because we have become spoiled with the era of next day delivery does not mean it can't reset to real world shortages. But the ammo or TP shortage are just small signs that folks see. The USA has built a house on quicksand and we are sinking. When most of your economy is built on people buying stuff, what happens when there's nothing to buy.

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
My Grandpa used to go crap in the woods AFTER he had a house with a bathroom, said he liked it better outside......

KrisB

Ten Pointer
More power to you. Personally I got nothing to prove to anybody that way. Worst come to worst I’ll survive. I’m not worried about that, but I’m not gonna brag about scratching up my rear just so I can sound tough on an Internet forum.
Wasn't trying to brag or prove something. Just sharing an opinion on an Internet forum.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wasn't trying to brag or prove something. Just sharing an opinion on an Internet forum.
You're fine, don't worry about it...

And to be sure I was clear, my comment wasn't aimed at anything you said...I was referring to the customer at the check-out counter who asked the OP about the # of items he was getting.

roundball said:
Another whole point about some stranger asking a question intended to imply someone is over-buying shows their ignorance as well as lack of respect.
Somebody can be buying for more than just themselves...we've got a 20 year old granddaughter who is struggling a little starting out on her own...and from time to time we buy multiples of a few things we know she likes or needs to give to her.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I know I’m not part of the problem. I don’t even buy locally. I order it from the big truck a case of 85 rolls at a time. Maybe Kris’s idea will catch on and I can stop providing it for renters and tell them it’s all part of the “natural” experience visiting the rural area from the cities. Might could raise rates for the “experience” too.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I think what some of you "pioneers" are forgetting is that personal hygiene and cleanliness are but a couple of the things that moved our life expectancy from 45 years to much more in todays world. You regress and so does that lifespan... Get the toilet paper...

It was not wiping your butt with toilet paper that expanded human life expectancy 🙄 Hygiene is nice but it was improvements to medical care and food preservation processes that expanded life expectancies.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
It was not wiping your butt with toilet paper that expanded human life expectancy 🙄 Hygiene is nice but it was improvements to medical care and food preservation processes that expanded life expectancies.

Hygiene was a huge part of that. If you don’t believe so then you’re a fool. We’ve come a long way from trying to make sure we don’t use a specific hand to eat with because that’s the one you wipe with.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
WHen I was young, a friend had to go. We were always in the woods doing something, so he went "over there" and did his business, using a leaf, that was growing on a vine, near his location, to tidy himself up.

Some basic plant identification is crucial in a world without TP.

PS. His house was literally 1/4 of a mile away....