The Panic Purchases Have Already Commenced

CarolinaReaper

Well folks, the looming nationwide shutdown that is bound to happen if and when Biden manages to find his way into the Oval Office already has people in my neck of the woods panic buying up all the usual items. Chiefly toilet paper, antibacterial hand soap and hand sanitizer. I just went by our local grocery store, empty of all of those things pretty much and our 2 local dollar stores were both pretty empty. Managed to snag 2 6 packs of angel soft, as they were the 2 of the last 3 packs in the entire store and limited to 2 per customer and a few bottles of dial hand soap. My brothers GF has a Sams Club membership, she's gonna head their tomorrow and hope to spot some TP. Looks like we're in for it again, to quote JB "A dark winter." Anyone else noticing this yet?

I had a lady behind me in line ask me why I was buying 4 bottles of dial hand soap, she then remarked to the clerk that she didn't understand the bulk buying of goods right now. I asked her point blank if she had been paying attention the news regarding the election. She said sure but what's that got to do with anything..... 🙃🙃🥴🥴 I then politely told her that the side that is allegedly winning this election wants nothing more than to shut the country down again for weeks and folks are worried, and rightfully so I said. She responded with, well, if everyone didn't make a big deal out of nothing and not rush to a store to buy it all up we wouldn't have the issues, lock-down or not. She then added, just look at you, buying up four bottles of hand soap. How does that help. I replied with, so you want me to NOT buy TP and hand-soap to share it around, so in a few weeks when the shelves are empty I don't have anything to wipe my a$$ with or wash my hands with after?? She responded with, well, I just don't see how buying it all up helps. I replied with, ma'am, that's your opinion, but if you want my 2 cents, I'd buy what they had left, cuss nobody else is gonna wait. It'll sadly be the haves and the have nots again soon. Have a good one. She yelled at me while I was headed out the door "Be sure to stay extra clean!" I didn't say anything back. Hell, what do you say to that??

Sure is a crazy world and time we're currently living in folks. Stay prepared as you can. Buy what you need and then a little extra, within the confounds of common courtesy of course. But uhh, me personally, I will NOT be caught with my metaphorical pants down worrying about where my next roll of TP is coming from. Just be careful y'all.

Last edited by a moderator:

CarolinaReaper

Sounds like I agree exactly with the lady behind you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As do I honestly. I wish to god everyone did care about each other and purchased only what they needed. But life ain't a fairy-tale. and that's not how it's going to be, as we seen a few months back with shelves empty for weeks on end in most stores. People are scared, mainly because of what they are being spoon fed from the media, but scared nonetheless. Do I like having to buy all that at once, no not really, but do I feel bad, no, not really. It's either you take action and prep now for what you need or wait around for the shelves to be empty again and do without. There really ain't a middle ground with this stuff right now and I mean to tell ya, I REALLY didn't like worrying about running out of toilet paper. Hand soap is one thing, but having to ration toilet paper was not fun a few months back and I'm just trying to keep that from happening again.

Einstein

Six Pointer
As do I honestly. I wish to god everyone did care about each other and purchased only what they needed. But life ain't a fairy-tale. and that's not how it's going to be, as we seen a few months back with shelves empty for weeks on end in most stores. People are scared, mainly because of what they are being spoon fed from the media, but scared nonetheless. Do I like having to buy all that at once, no not really, but do I feel bad, no, not really. It's either you take action and prep now for what you need or wait around for the shelves to be empty again and do without. There really ain't a middle ground with this stuff right now and I mean to tell ya, I REALLY didn't like worrying about running out of toilet paper. Hand soap is one thing, but having to ration toilet paper was not fun a few months back and I'm just trying to keep that from happening again.

Well, I also agree exactly with that you said there.

I will have to add however, that I personally do not believe this round will be as bad as the last. Maybe I’m just naive.

CarolinaReaper

Well, I also agree exactly with that you said there.

I will have to add however, that I personally do not believe this round will be as bad as the last. Maybe I’m just naive.

Optimistically, I hope you're right.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
First time ever I've been in Costco on a Friday evening, but I had my reasons. We checked out this (out of stock), that (out of stock), Brisket (usually 20-30 for me to choose from, tonight there were 7, seven.) and decided it's time to go.

Went to Paper towel, TP aisle. Gone, poof, nothing there.

Frozen foods? Full.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
The few trappers up in Alaska who run their traplines in the actual wilderness there, hundreds of miles from the nearest city, have had no problems going without store-bought toilet paper for years. There are things you can do/make/use/substitute instead of having to buy toilet paper from the store, no matter whether you live in civilization or the wilderness. My goal is to learn how to do those things and do them rather than participating in this panic-driven "essential" goods buying frenzy. It's ridiculous and selfish, in my opinion.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Stopped by BJ's yesterday to get a chuck roast and walking past the paper towels & TP aisles saw that they were all empty

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
The few trappers up in Alaska who run their traplines in the actual wilderness there, hundreds of miles from the nearest city, have had no problems going without store-bought toilet paper for years. There are things you can do/make/use/substitute instead of having to buy toilet paper from the store, no matter whether you live in civilization or the wilderness. My goal is to learn how to do those things and do them rather than participating in this panic-driven "essential" goods buying frenzy. It's ridiculous and selfish, in my opinion.

There’s always leaves or your bare hand. Some folks prefer cotton so they use the sock with a hole in it.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
There’s always leaves or your bare hand. Some folks prefer cotton so they use the sock with a hole in it.

Yes, among other things. Our ancestors "went without" way before we had the kind of civilizations we do today and in some parts of the world, it's still like it was hundreds of years ago in the industrialized nations. There's no reason we can't do the same. It's just a matter of standards of living. Some people can get by or do without. Other people feel that they can't. I think American consumer culture has a lot to do with the latter group.

CarolinaReaper

@roundball @Ldsoldier @Bailey Boat

It’s liable to get just as bad or worse than last time. Just be safe and prepare is all we can do. And BB you’re right about how I shouldn’t have engaged. There was no talking to that woman. At all. Her mind was made up from the start.

@KrisB

While I agree with most of what you said, and do hope to in the future be more self sufficient, I wouldn’t call buying enough goods to be prepared selfish. It may be selfish as a whole, the whole over buying garbage, but I just don’t see the silver living in me not buying a little more than I need in hopes of not running out, when absolutely no one else is gonna only buy what is necessary. In a few weeks it’ll all most likely be bought up and I ain’t trying to use a leaf. I don’t have any shame in it personally. And neither should anyone else. Make sure you’re family has all they need and then some. Just my 2 cents man.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
@KrisB

While I agree with most of what you said, and do hope to in the future be more self sufficient, I wouldn’t call buying enough goods to be prepared selfish. It may be selfish as a whole, the whole over buying garbage, but I just don’t see the silver living in me not buying a little more than I need in hopes of not running out, when absolutely no one else is gonna only buy what is necessary. In a few weeks it’ll all most likely be bought up and I ain’t trying to use a leaf. I don’t have any shame in it personally. And neither should anyone else. Make sure you’re family has all they need and then some. Just my 2 cents man.

I apologize for not being more clear, @CarolinaReaper. I didn't mean that you specifically are being selfish. You're doing what you feel is right and there's nothing wrong with that. I just think this trend within American culture is selfish. You're right. Most people don't think about other people's needs when they buy stuff at the store, especially now. All I'm saying is there are alternatives, which most people in our culture would not consider because of the standard of living most of us are accustomed to, but there are alternatives nonetheless.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
I Can’t resist kris.... so hypothetically if I took those 4 wheelers and snowmobiles away from those trappers because you can make due with snowshoes and dogs like the old timers did, what do think would be the response?
I know how to do a lot of things I’m not gonna do unless it’s ABSOLUTELY essential including dig a well by hand, build a cabin with no power tools or store bought nails, or take care of and ride a horse for transportation, make my own medicines etc.... if tp is essential (Not for me) to someone far be it from me to say it’s selfish. I agree it’s somewhat sad state of affairs how quickly people Spin outta control. My wife and I Planted and grew, hand harvested ( No power equip or combines), thrashed ground and separated wheat in to flour and she made bread that was dang good. I will not do it because of the time it took but I know how if the trucks quit running. Hell food in the grocery store is essential for some people to live Cause it comes from food lion in cellophane, but not for you or me or a lot of members here Cause we grow gardens, hunt trap and fish for our groceries.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Your root problem was engaging her in conversation after what she asked you in the beginning.... I won't even attempt to have a conversation with someone with that attitude...

Here’s what you do guys......

Carry a little note pad and pen around with you. When stupid f’ers start talking to you, hand them the pad and pen.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I Can’t resist kris.... so hypothetically if I took those 4 wheelers and snowmobiles away from those trappers because you can make due with snowshoes and dogs like the old timers did, what do think would be the response?
I know how to do a lot of things I’m not gonna do unless it’s ABSOLUTELY essential including dig a well by hand, build a cabin with no power tools or store bought nails, or take care of and ride a horse for transportation, make my own medicines etc.... if tp is essential (Not for me) to someone far be it from me to say it’s selfish. I agree it’s somewhat sad state of affairs how quickly people Spin outta control. My wife and I Planted and grew, hand harvested ( No power equip or combines), thrashed ground and separated wheat in to flour and she made bread that was dang good. I will not do it because of the time it took but I know how if the trucks quit running. Hell food in the grocery store is essential for some people to live Cause it comes from food lion in cellophane, but not for you or me or a lot of members here Cause we grow gardens, hunt trap and fish for our groceries.

They don't all use snowmobiles. A few still use dogs.

I apologize for using the word selfish. I'm not here to argue with anyone. Yes, you're right. For some people, the grocery store is essential. I'm just looking at it from my own perspective and it's just my opinion.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Another whole point about some stranger asking a question intended to imply someone is over-buying shows their ignorance as well as lack of respect.
Somebody can be buying for more than just themselves...we've got a 20 year old granddaughter who is struggling a little starting out on her own...and from time to time we buy multiples of a few things we know she likes or needs to give to her.

CarolinaReaper

Here’s what you do guys......

Carry a little note pad and pen around with you. When stupid f’ers start talking to you, hand them the pad and pen.

DB that’s hilarious and a good idea to boot.

Hoss

Eight Pointer
Another whole point about some stranger asking a question intended to imply someone is over-buying shows their ignorance as well as lack of respect.
Somebody can be buying for more than just themselves...we've got a 20 year old granddaughter who is struggling a little starting out on her own...and from time to time we buy multiples of a few things we know she likes or needs to give to her.
Round ball I know you are bound to get a blessing for helping your granddaughter.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Going to point out that the wild game resources we have would be wiped out in short order if the population relied on wildlife for subsistence.

Probably not but I'd sure be down to watch ANTIFA and BLM die a slow starving death.

In other news....I bought one pack of tp and one pack of pt at Walmart this morning. They will last me pretty much the next year

timber

Twelve Pointer
I don’t see it being like before with paper shortage. Think there has been plenty made waiting for panic buying. But if people feel the need to stack it up go for it. It might help the timber business.