The mental deficit of the youth is pathetic

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Funny thing is that I could, given a little time find 60 year olds that would be in the same boat. I wonder how many people they had to ask to find the ones that could not answer those things.

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
That’s why I said and. I will absolutely blame teachers when simple questions, such as the ones in the video, can’t be answered by anyone over 10 years old.
Most students don't have to pick up a pencil, show up to school, or put in an ounce of effort to pass. Students don't fail anymore. I've had students miss 80 days of school and have single digit grades in every class, but still pass. There are a lot of teachers that are complete idiots, but you cannot make students learn (or hold anyone accountable today)

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
My Wife just had a student transfer into her classroom from the Char-Meck Co school district.

He is 18 years old and needs 1 credit to graduate high school...he cannot read or write.

I tell my wife everyday that while I appreciate her dedication to her job and the children she teaches, there are a whole damn lot of 'teachers' out there that have ruined both children and the profession.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
My Wife just had a student transfer into her classroom from the Char-Meck Co school district.

He is 18 years old and needs 1 credit to graduate high school...he cannot read or write.

I tell my wife everyday that while I appreciate her dedication to her job and the children she teaches, there are a whole damn lot of 'teachers' out there that have ruined both children and the profession.
I graduated class of 2004. When I was in school, everything was geared toward students passing the standardized tests. The teachers that went the extra mile and were excited about learning practically got :donk:donk:donk:donk on for going outside the standardized test model. I lost track of the amount of kids I was in school with that never even had a book bag , or their text books, or even a pencil. I remember always feeling bad for them cuz they wouldn’t graduate. But come the next year, there they were with me in the next grade. My school was absolutely insane. We had teachers that partied with us, teachers that would put movies on and come back at the end of the period, and so on. The “alternative class” which was the in school suspension was “taught” by a woman who had 2 sons in the local gang. She never made you do a single thing besides ask you what kind of weed you could get . She was build like a brick :donk:donk:donk:donk house and would walk around flirting with everyone. Hands down best teacher I ever had (no not her) was 8th grade science teacher. He was a big outdoorsman and would incorporate that in his lessons. Never a dull moment. They ended up firing him cuz he brought in a dead black snake for dissection/anatomy and a parent complained that making the kids do that was bullying and cruel.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
its not much better up here, i have often got into discussions with younger people and when i know i can "play" with them i ask them what their thoughts are on the banning of the seal hunt in Saskatchewan and if they agree with it. It would be the same geography concept as banning a seal hunt in Oklahoma.

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
It's not 'the parents" or "the teachers".

It's the liberals. The liberal parents, the liberal teachers, the liberal citizens and voters and the liberal system they have created.
Nail on the head right here!!!! It is a failed system and we allowed it to happen>

timber

Twelve Pointer
I think its some shared blame between parents, teachers and school administrators. The problem i have with teachers they are not held accountable and on top of that they constantly demading more pay increases while alot of there job performance is going down. Where you have really good teachers there hands are tied by the administrators in charge of the school. It ends up the kids are the big loosers along with tax payers thats going to eventually support a lot of them

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
No doubt it covers many age brackets. The indoctrination occuring in our school systems has been going on for at least 50 years. Some how I survived not being brain washed. Well, there were and still are good teachers still out there, but the system is stacked against them.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Yep she got a few lessons. I’ve got a special challenge with her. She’s got more than my healthy dose of debilitating bipolar disorder. Educating her on anything is rough. She doesn’t care. Doesn’t matter what we are talking about either. She just doesn’t care. No reward matters and no punishment matters. Natural consequences be damned. She doesn’t care. Busted her iPhone in a tantrum this week. I thought that was all she did care about. Nope. It’s “I don’t have any real friends anyway”. I had a heart to heart about wanting more from life. At this point my goals are simple. Feed her, clothe her, try to point toward God, and keep her out of jail. Fwiw the tantrum was about her latest nugget : “I’m bisexual”.

Lord, please help me. I’m spinning my wheels down here.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
I graduated class of 2004. When I was in school, everything was geared toward students passing the standardized tests. The teachers that went the extra mile and were excited about learning practically got :donk:donk:donk:donk on for going outside the standardized test model. I lost track of the amount of kids I was in school with that never even had a book bag , or their text books, or even a pencil. I remember always feeling bad for them cuz they wouldn’t graduate. But come the next year, there they were with me in the next grade. My school was absolutely insane. We had teachers that partied with us, teachers that would put movies on and come back at the end of the period, and so on. The “alternative class” which was the in school suspension was “taught” by a woman who had 2 sons in the local gang. She never made you do a single thing besides ask you what kind of weed you could get . She was build like a brick :donk:donk:donk:donk house and would walk around flirting with everyone. Hands down best teacher I ever had (no not her) was 8th grade science teacher. He was a big outdoorsman and would incorporate that in his lessons. Never a dull moment. They ended up firing him cuz he brought in a dead black snake for dissection/anatomy and a parent complained that making the kids do that was bullying and cruel.
Did ya hit it ?

nckeith

Ten Pointer
I've got two in High School. I figure at this point, the high school will give them the paper to get to college and it's up to me to educate them. If any parent is upset with the state of the school and their kids education it's on you at this point.
They are maybe in classes 5-6 hours a day. I have them 18-19 hours
99% of all the information is in their pockets on a phone, but most spend it watching people dance on tik tok

Worked with a guy whose wife “homeschooled” the kids. One time I had to drive him home from
Work and the boy was in the yard. I asked him what he did for school work that day and he had no idea what I was talking about. He said I don’t go to school. I said well yeah but your mom home schools you. He said no I do whatever I want while she drinks all day . Them kids didn’t stand a chance
This is my step daughter. Her 8yr. old son is great at minecraft but doesn't know where the U.S. is located. Mom gives him a work book to do every once in a while and that's " homeschooling". I can't get after her about it because she is a single mom and is sensitive, says my wife. I call her unmotivated and lazy.

Ceehawk37

Ten Pointer
My wife teaches middle school here in SC. It’s shameful how a large number of parents simply do not care if their kid learns a single thing at school. Public schools are viewed as a baby sitting service by the “entitlement” crowd. There are parents that are involved and do care but man it’s hard to tell which group is the majority. The school administration/boards of education have enabled the lack of accountability and lack of discipline in public schools. It’s not about education, it’s about checking boxes via standardized tests and student statistics to get more “funding” (aka siphon off more tax dollars), appeasing parents to avoid negative PR, and ensuring the consistent growth of admin positions in the school districts (aka cushy jobs for former teachers). My wife and I do not have kids yet, however we have already discussed schooling. It’ll probably be a fight but I’m already pushing for us to send them to private school.

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
My wife teaches middle school here in SC. It’s shameful how a large number of parents simply do not care if their kid learns a single thing at school. Public schools are viewed as a baby sitting service by the “entitlement” crowd. There are parents that are involved and do care but man it’s hard to tell which group is the majority. The school administration/boards of education have enabled the lack of accountability and lack of discipline in public schools. It’s not about education, it’s about checking boxes via standardized tests and student statistics to get more “funding” (aka siphon off more tax dollars), appeasing parents to avoid negative PR, and ensuring the consistent growth of admin positions in the school districts (aka cushy jobs for former teachers). My wife and I do not have kids yet, however we have already discussed schooling. It’ll probably be a fight but I’m already pushing for us to send them to private school.
You sir, are 1000000% correct^^^

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The situation is no better at some of the universities. If you have a kid that is smart and not lazy then you are lucky and in the minority.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
No matter where your kids go to school, parents have to be involved. My wife was a college professor when we got married. She is at home now and her main job is our three kids. People ask me all the time how I can afford for my wife not to work. My reply is how can we afford for her not to work! It takes a village and all of us help out with each others kids. We even have doctors at our school who take off one day a week or move their schedule around so they can help teach one day a week. You have to make it a priority. We have over 200 kids in our Classical group and it works because the parents work so hard. A common reply to anyone that questions our teaching method is to go over and ask one of the kids a question. It can be any subject matter. We are that confident of the program and it works. What is most important about our school is that the students pray together and learn how to honor God!

Last edited: