The kick of Winchester Long Beards vs. Hevi shot

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Have you noticed any difference in the kick of Long beards verses Hevi 13? Have shot the Long beards 3" last couple years and in an 870 they kick to me no more than a heavy dove load. The Hevi 13 kicks like a wild mule....and the Long beards pattern better also. The birds I have killed with the Winchesters also has many more pellets in the noggin than same shot size and distance of kills with Hevi shot. What have you all experienced?

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Hell yes.... we were messing around and a club member handed another some 2oz 3.5s.... shooter went from kneeling to sitting when he pulled the trigger and went to cussing like he had Tourette’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I think the recoil is softer in longbeards than standard lead loads of same specs. I think it has to do with pressure from the rolled ends besides standerd folded and crimped.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
Only time I feel them, well I don't.. when I pattern the gun its in a lead sled. When shooting a bird, never feel the kick.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I think the recoil is softer in longbeards than standard lead loads of same specs. I think it has to do with pressure from the rolled ends besides standerd folded and crimped.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

The crimp or chamber pressure is unrelated to felt recoil. Felt Recoil is a matter of payload weight and velocity, assuming they are shot out of the same gun.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Try the 3.5” mag blend 2 1/4 oz....?

I was squatting down and shot a turkey once and landed on my back.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Don't shoot 2 1/4 OZ out of a 10ga from a goose blind almost straight up with your elbow propped up on the corner. You won't do it but once.

ezdemon72

Six Pointer
Only time I feel them, well I don't.. when I pattern the gun its in a lead sled. When shooting a bird, never feel the kick.

I would stay away from the lead sled while testing the loads, broke stock on my shotgun using one.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
There is a big difference, I shot both hevis, XRs and Federals and the hevis by far kicked the worst. The XRs aren't bad at all.