The Journey

manybeards

Ten Pointer
Most of us are familiar with Dave Watson's program "The Journey".... We admire the idea of paying it forward and it gave me an idea.
We all know someone who is dedicated Turkey Hunter, but do to life's circumstances can't manage an out of state hunt.
I'd like to ask the forum members to help me identify a deserving hunter who would enjoy joining me in north central Kansas next spring for an all expenses paid Rio Grande Turkey Hunt.....To include license, 2 tags, all travel costs, Food and accommodations and we'll videotape the hunt as well.
I'd like you guys to submit names and any details that might qualify the individual. And, you the members will ultimately decide the most deserving hunter..... Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Resized952019042895144104.jpg
    Resized952019042895144104.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 45

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Very nice offer and not much more fun can be had than chasing Rios in Kansas one my all time favorite spots. Good luck to all invilved. Whoever goes you won't regret taking the time.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Sounds like a great opportunity , have never had the chance to hunt turkey any where but here in NC, whom ever gets the chance most likely will be a dream come true, that is an awesome chester in playing it forward.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
First off, thank you manybeards for doing this! I've a good mind to nominate YOU...for doing something so generous!! :)

But since that's not what you had in mind, I'll nominate nchunter78, an Orange County man I met through the forum a few years back. His name is Rob Gray and he is married with two middle/high school aged sons. He's fairly new to turkey hunting, but goes at it as hard as most of us working stiffs can afford to. I've never heard him mention going on any out-of-state turkey hunts, and I'm sure he would thoroughly appreciate the opportunity. And I think he would be the type of guy you would enjoy being on a hunt with...….as nice a guy as you'll ever meet.

I want to nominate Rob because he is a giver himself, and it would be great to see him on the receiving end one time. A few years ago Rob founded "Orange County Outdoors Ministry", http://www.ocoutdoors.org/ a non-profit organization through which he collects, processes, and distributes donated venison to help feed those in the area in need of a little assistance. He devotes a tremendous amount of time and hard work to a very worthy cause, and it would warm my heart to see him be recognized for his efforts by being rewarded something as awesome as a Spring hunt for Kansas Rios!

Again, thank you manybeards for doing this!

Randy

Ten Pointer
That should be a great trip. Turkeys have kicked my butt twice on WIHAs in that part of Kansas.

Bullet1

Four Pointer
That’s a very kind offer of you. I’d like to nominate LawDog for this special opportunity. Being in the same hunting club as him for years I see that he is deserving of something like this. He is a retired Police officer, that works hard everyday now as an instructor teaching other officers. I recall him showing pictures of his sons successful hunts that he takes them on, saying “this is what it’s all about”. He did finally get a turkey this year.... his favorite kind of hunting. However, if his sons are there he isn’t going to shoot. He has never been out of state hunting and probably never will, so I’d like to nominate him for this opportunity!

Last edited:

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have to agree with Tony, this is a first class offer. At this point I'd rather let members with more time nominate the lucky man. Looks like several fine members have been put forth, I would like to offer anything I have to lighten your load. Maybe a couple boxes of tss or a gift card. Hats off to you and pm me if I can help.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
TarheelTurkey is another forum member whom I feel is very deserving of our consideration for a reward of this nature. Jason Terry is a salt-of-the-earth kind of person and just a super nice guy. He is married with a 3 or 4 year old daughter...the cutest little thing, and the apple of his eye. I could attach a picture Jason sent me awhile back with her posing with a turkey, but it wouldn't be fair.

Jason resides in Person County and makes his living there as a firefighter. He also makes turkey calls. I have become particularly fond of the "picture" calls he makes. They are perfect for preserving special turkey hunting-related memories. Jason's turkey call operation, which he calls "Tobacco Row Custom Calls", I am convinced serves more as a way for him to contribute to special causes than it is a business. He could make a living at it I feel if he tried to, but I think he just loves the art of making calls and seeing folks' eyes light up when he delivers their call to them and they see and hear it for the first time. That gives him pure joy, and you can see it in his face every time.

I'm almost positive Jason gives far more of his calls away than he sells. He donates many, many calls every year to support his local NWTF chapter banquet, and he also builds uniquely special calls each spring which he donates to the Wounded Warriors project. In fact, it's Jason's involvement with the Wounded Warriors that I feel particularly qualifies him as a strong candidate for manybeards' Kansas Rio hunt. Not only does Jason donate hand-made calls to the effort, he also participates in the actual hunts each year, helping guide our wounded warriors on turkey hunts.

Jason is a good man....a hard-working man who tries to be a help anywhere he can and has a passion for all things turkey. To hunt Rio turkeys in Kansas would be a dream come true for him.

Edited to add this pic that I said I wouldn't. Sorry, but I couldn't help it...

Last edited:

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
TarheelTurkey is another forum member whom I feel is very deserving of our consideration for a reward of this nature. Jason Terry is a salt-of-the-earth kind of person and just a super nice guy. He is married with a 3 or 4 year old daughter...the cutest little thing, and the apple of his eye. I could attach a picture Jason sent me awhile back with her posing with a turkey, but it wouldn't be fair.

Jason resides in Person County and makes his living there as a firefighter. He also makes turkey calls. I have become particularly fond of the "picture" calls he makes. They are perfect for preserving special turkey hunting-related memories. Jason's turkey call operation, which he calls "Tobacco Row Custom Calls", I am convinced serves more as a way for him to contribute to special causes than it is a business. He could make a living at it I feel if he tried to, but I think he just loves the art of making calls and seeing folks' eyes light up when he delivers their call to them and they see and hear it for the first time. That gives him pure joy, and you can see it in his face every time.

I'm almost positive Jason gives far more of his calls away than he sells. He donates many, many calls every year to support his local NWTF chapter banquet, and he also builds uniquely special calls each spring which he donates to the Wounded Warriors project. In fact, it's Jason's involvement with the Wounded Warriors that I feel particularly qualifies him as a strong candidate for manybeards' Kansas Rio hunt. Not only does Jason donate hand-made calls to the effort, he also participates in the actual hunts each year, helping guide our wounded warriors on turkey hunts.

Jason is a good man....a hard-working man who tries to be a help anywhere he can and has a passion for all things turkey. To hunt Rio turkeys in Kansas would be a dream come true for him.

I know Jason, he's one of the nicest people you'll ever meet!
I think he is a very deserving candidate for this hunt.

CBD21

Eight Pointer

I’ll put another vote in for tarheelturkey. Jason is a good friend of mine and as good as they come everything familyman said is spot on. He’s a full time fireman and the rest of hit time he’s a devoted family man that puts his little one and family first. Loves all things turkey and is very passionate about chasing them and has wanted to head out of state for awhile now but hasn’t got to yet.

rdwsnyder

Button Buck

Edited to add this pic that I said I wouldn't. Sorry, but I couldn't help it...
View attachment 29671
How could I not vote for this guy? The father / daughter bond melts my heart. And she is such a cutie...oh my gosh! :)

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Just wanted to resurrect this thread by posting a happy birthday pic of my nominee Jason Terry, aka "tarheelturkey". Y'all better get busy nominating and voting......Spring will be here before you know it!

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I nominated TarheelTurkey (Jason Terry) and nchunter78 (Rob Gray) last summer when manybeards started this thread.....just wanted to bring it to the top since spring is right around the corner.

Thanks again to manybeards for doing this. Regardless of who wins the vote, I look forward to hearing some stories and seeing some pics.