The ice is nice and thick

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Nice. Got the Burner and french press going also...
Reminds me of the days living in ND. Ice got thick there back in the 70's

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I haven't ice fished since the winter of 79-80,,miss it,,,might have to do a winter fishing boondoggle

Tell John I said hi and to get ready , this is the year I draw a moose tag!!

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
No, no, no...... if God wanted me to walk on water I'd have webbed feet. I did go ice fishing ONE time, the friend I was with caught a TON of "little" crappie (8 to 10") but I was so damned nervous I couldn't concentrate enough to feel them bite. The creaking and cracking and popping was too much for me. I went to the bank, built a fire, drank some Jack Daniels and WATCHED from 150 yards away, a very relaxing afternoon..

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Reminds me of Ice Fishing in S Dakota in my younger and foolish days. We drove vehicles out on the ice. I remember one trip that we were able to take off our parkas that morning. Later that evening it turned much colder. I started fishing from inside the car. Drop the bait down the hole and roll the window up. When it got so cold the hole would freeze over after I got out of the car and broke the ice and it froze over again before I could get back inside the vehicle and roll up the window I turned to my fishing buddy and told him I believe its time to call it a day. He agreed.

BTW no way would I drive out onto the ice on a lake now. I hope I have learned a few things. LOL

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
We didn't drive out there but there was a number of trucks on the lake.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I never drove my truck on the ice, even if it got to nearly 36" thick. I always used the four wheeler when the ice was at least 8" thick. Figured losing the quad was cheaper and I could still make it home in warmth. Also easier to get unstuck by yourself. Never had an issue with falling through.

I've been out on 3-4" early ice with a buddy if it was clean and not mixed with snow slush. Walked the shoreline and fished where it was only 3-4 feet deep. Had a safety rope tied to a tree on the bank as insurance.

The cracking and popping never bothered me, it was when the dumbasses drove their trucks near me. You would see the water come out the holes. For the most part folks were courteous. Most stayed close to the launch areas. I would run far and wide :)

I had a blast. I averaged 2 full days and 2-3 afternoons every week when the ice was good. Even fished during a few blizzards, I miss it.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I would give anything to ice fish. Ice fishing up there is often better than fishing down here this time of year. Heck I just wish it would get below freezing here these days. Had a great day on a local lake a couple weeks ago when the air temp got down to 21. Had ice in my guides until noon, it didn’t get out of the 30s. Never saw a soul all day and caught between 60-70 bass. I love it when it gets cold.

Last edited:

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Since we don't get the ice that they do up north why do more people not fish in the winter? We have many of the same species of fish. Sitting in a boat (boats?) can be just as comfortable and I assume you could rig up a dozen or so float rigs to scatter about that you could keep an eye on (a floating tip-up would be interesting.) If the fish are biting under 3 foot of ice shouldn't they bite just as well here? Just curious.

Oh, I just read Duckmauler's post above. Nice!

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I recall the first few times I heard that BOOOOOMM OOOOMMMM OOOOOMMMM OMMMM. I was headed to the bank. First you hear the BOOM then the OOOMMM continues for a half hour (well maybe not quite that long :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:) it was almost enough to completely cure me of my desire to ice fish. Only reason it didn't was a couple of the guys fishing with me had been there done that before.