The hits just keep coming...

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
But I'll take it, and you'll not hear me complain!!!

Clock went off at 4:30 this morn, so I could make the 1.5hr trip up to my hunt club in Virginia. I hadn't been up since the ML opener a month ago, but I had a day pass from the wife and 2wk old, and I needed to hear a race..

Rolled in the driveway just in time for breakfast on our 2nd doe day, and the obligatory hemming and hawing over where everybody was going.

I headed off down the lake shore to a spot I love. Big ~10yr old cutover out in front, 40yd strip of hardwoods to the lake shore, and a huge beaver/cattail swamp that bottlenecks at a swampy peninsula and beaver dam. Only problem, it's a slog to get in and out. Probably why me and one other fella are the only ones that ever hunt it...

The dogs hit the ground about 730, some fellas killed some does right off, but weren't much going on in my corner of the hunt. About 830, I heard one dog open up in the cutover, maybe 300yds from me. She bounced whatever she was running around for 10 min, and I knew she needed help, so called for some more hounds. They put another 4 in there, and it wasn't long....

I heard a stick break, and they came boiling down out of the cutover. 3 bucks in a line, running nearly straight at me. I picked the biggest of course, and hit him hard at 40, but he was still on his feet. I put a second round in him at 20 or so, and he slid to a stop about 15 feet from me.

Sending that 'big buck down' call over the radio felt some kinda good:)

126" ish gross 9 point. Tbh, I did include a couple inches that got shot off lol, and a run down, fatless, 145lbs.
20181202_075944.jpg20181202_080534.jpg

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Can I get your autograph before you go Hollywood on us you buck killing rascal?
Congratulations on a great year.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Between the bucks and turkeys you’ve had a hell of a year.... keep it up though and they may stop letting NC residents hunt anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Congrats on another good one. If you dont mind me asking whats the name of the club in Va?

sent from...... Tapatalk

genbud78

Ten Pointer
I'd hate to see your taxidermy bill this year! Haha! Congrats on a killer season

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Congrats man. Nice buck in front of dogs is not easy. Hell of alot harder than what most people think.(y);)

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Is that because most dog clubs shoot bucks before they have a chance to get big? ?
This one came off a club that's as brown and down as it gets...some clubs have a 5 gallon bucket rule, we've got a pint jar rule:mosh:

Them old deer been playing that game a long time. They know how to slip the dogs, and they don't make to many mistakes...

Reactions: jug

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Is that because most dog clubs shoot bucks before they have a chance to get big? ?
Yes.... and you have to know where to set up for the big bucks. They are smart and know exactly where and how to escape the dogs. You got be smart too?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You'll be hard pressed to beat this season. It will be a year you will remember for a long time.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Man your having a great season congrats on another nice deer, but you need to take a break and leave some of those for next year:D just kidding.