The eagles by 11 !

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I understand the theory behind it but it sure is risky to not score a touchdown when you have the opportunity to. What if on the next play mahomes would’ve fumbled the snap and turned it over? But it worked out. Still risky. Bird in the hand theory.
yeah but remember when unc took that onside kick in against asu and how that bit them?

specialk

Twelve Pointer
twin qualifiers, trucks. and xfin as well.....
twins normally are on thursday around 1pm, trucks friday night and xfin saturday afternoon......not sure exact times though, going to be on fox or fs1.....i'm headed to FL on friday and spending the day with my mom on saturday so i might miss the trucks and xfin but will be in daytona sunday....

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Question for the football rules guys in the know.

Re: the defensive holding call with <2 mins to go....

Does whether or not the pass was catchable have any effect on the call?

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Question for the football rules guys in the know.

Re: the defensive holding call with <2 mins to go....

Does whether or not the pass was catchable have any effect on the call?
No. . The holding penalty happened first.

Cheesiest b/s call I've ever seen.
Las Vegas must've made a call.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No. . The holding penalty happened first.

Cheesiest b/s call I've ever seen.
Las Vegas must've made a call.
Maybe I should've asked a better question.

For a pass interference call to be valid, the pass must be catchable. If it's not (catchable), the call is waived off.

Is it different for defensive holding?

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Most flags are since most of them are thrown before the play is over.
Yeah...the flag is picked up all the time when the pass isn't catchable (pass interference). I'm wondering if it can be picked up, if it's uncatchable....and the original call is defensive holding?

Evidently, it can't be....because that pass wasn't catchable.

Maybe it's "holding" if the pass isn't in the air, yet? I ask because I don't know.

**Edit...I just looked. My assumption was correct.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Maybe I should've asked a better question.

For a pass interference call to be valid, the pass must be catchable. If it's not (catchable), the call is waived off.

Is it different for defensive holding?
Holding occurred prior to the ball being thrown. The fact that it was a pass to that receiver, technically has nothing to do with it.

Example: you can have defensive holding on the right side of the field on the WR... even if the pass is thrown after the fact to the left side of the field.

Now if the pass is in the air, and intended for that receiver when they are "held" that makes it PI and is subject to the rule on whether it is catchable or not.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
FWIW - the eagle defender said it was holding.
Which I think is a brilliant move on his part. He'll be a golden child amongst referees now. :)

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
not going to argue that it was or was not defensive holding. My thing is, why call it then when you hadn't called it all night? I don't think the ball was catchable even if he hadn't of grabbed the jersey. He had held him up enough to disrupt the route.

Just a piss poor time to throw the flag in my opinion.

And I know you think it was the right call Mr Chiefs Fan @Redeye :ROFLMAO:

Any, Redskins weren't playing so it didn't matter to me who won.
Agreed! Even though the defender admitted he held the jersey, I've seen way worse that weren't called, not this particular game, but in general.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Here’s the clear camera angle of the chief receiver being held twice that we (I) didn’t see while watching.
he was held back by his jersey, then the eagle held him with his arm and the receiver was late getting started running.
Video in this article.
…………………………

New NFL Films Footage Upholds the Super Bowl Holding Call - InsideHook