The Countdown Begins

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I dropped an Ultra Light Arms rifle off to be rebarrled and refinish the stock with Mr. Melvin Forbes today. I was lucky enough to spend a good while talking rifles with him. I'd like to know all he knows about building rifles. Now the countdown begins waiting to hear back from him.

<>< Fish

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Great rifle and I am sure they are well built, but the wait times are ridiculous for his guns. I know I know, people will chime in and say it worth the wait etc but I just don’t see waiting that long especially with Barrett’s new fieldcraft out there......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Great rifle and I am sure they are well built, but the wait times are ridiculous for his guns. I know I know, people will chime in and say it worth the wait etc but I just don’t see waiting that long especially with Barrett’s new fieldcraft out there......

I HOPE Barrett does the design justice. The Colt debacle along with the more recent Forbes Rifle debacle were not topic of discussion on this trip. I was talking with Melvin around the time that Forbes Rifle was just getting started and he was of the opinion that the way the rifles were being built and the company ran that it would not last. He was 100% correct.

Oh, the rifles built by Ultra Light now New Ultra Light are worth the wait. Mainly because you can "have it your way". :cool:

<>< Fish

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I have not personally put my hands on one of the Barrett’s, but by all accounts they are one heck of a rifle and will flat out shoot, and at about 1/2 the price of a NULA. Like I said, I am sure Melvin’s rifles are awesome, but I just can’t see waiting 2 years or so for one. Of course I feel that way about any custom built rifle. At one time I could see spending the money, but like I said with the likes of the kimber Montana, Montana rifle company guns and now Barrett with their new field crafts there are factory rifles out there that check off all the boxes customs do except for odd ball calibers.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
"IF" the moon and stars align just right there's a good chance I'll have my rifle back in about two weeks. Christmas in October for me if it holds true!

<>< Fish

hillbillypossum

Six Pointer
I dropped an Ultra Light Arms rifle off to be rebarrled and refinish the stock with Mr. Melvin Forbes today. I was lucky enough to spend a good while talking rifles with him. I'd like to know all he knows about building rifles. Now the countdown begins waiting to hear back from him.

<>< Fish
May I ask why it needed rebuilt? did you wear one out? Where is Melvin located?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If it's not a 6.5 something or another it's not worth building..or didn't anyone tell you that beforehand? :p
He probably had something to say about that caliber as well.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
If it's not a 6.5 something or another it's not worth building..or didn't anyone tell you that beforehand? :p
He probably had something to say about that caliber as well.

I already have a 6.5 (.260Rem) just about the perfect round and rifle for deer sized game. I'm just going to have to settle with the old and decrepit .243Win to launch those shiny new 6mm bullets downrange.

<>< Fish

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You do know that some forum members and possibly others have questioned the effectiveness of a .243 on anything larger than a chipmunk.....just saying.:eek::eek:
I already have a 6.5 (.260Rem) just about the perfect round and rifle for deer sized game. I'm just going to have to settle with the old and decrepit .243Win to launch those shiny new 6mm bullets downrange.

<>< Fish

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
You do know that some forum members and possibly others have questioned the effectiveness of a .243 on anything larger than a chipmunk.....just saying.:eek::eek:

And the good Lord knows (and too many others know) that if you take those 6 mm bullets and subtract 0.44 mm that the bullets become so ineffective that they are barely adequate for yard gnomes and house flies. :geek:

<>< Fish

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
What twist are you going with in the 243? That is the only reason the 260 and 243 are considered ‘obsolete’ by some because of the slow twist that most factory guns have. The creedmoors only are superior because they are twisted to shoot heavier bullets. You put the right tube on a 243 or 260 and it will hang with any of the creedmoors all day long.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What twist are you going with in the 243? That is the only reason the 260 and 243 are considered ‘obsolete’ by some because of the slow twist that most factory guns have. The creedmoors only are superior because they are twisted to shoot heavier bullets. You put the right tube on a 243 or 260 and it will hang with any of the creedmoors all day long.

Yep. I think that’s why Remington struggled so much when they launched the .260
They just had a hard time with heavier bullets and they didn’t have many factory loadings in a weight light enough to stabilize.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

1:10" , Just a straight up .243 Winchester. I believe it will suit my needs.

<>< Fish

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

Wasn't Remington the only company that saddled their rifles with the 1:10" twist in the .260Rem? My .260 has a 1:8" twist and shoots 120gr-140gr well.

<>< Fish

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
It is home and looks great. Hoping to break the barrel in asap and take it afield. New 20" stainless barrel, new Talley mounts and a 3-9x36 Zeiss Diavari.

<>< Fish

XPhnJTK.jpg

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Looks good but isn't that bilt on the wrong side...[emoji13]

sent from...... Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Initial shooting and breaking in the barrel was today. So far so good. I will have to come up with a great load recipe to outshoot what the 95gr Federal Fusions did. The target below is 5 shots @ 100 yards, one sighter shot and 4 more after scope adjustment at a 1" bullseye.

<>< Fish

CA071hd.jpg

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I was just reading a thread about guys waiting almost 2 years for a NULA to be built. You got lucky it sounds like getting it back that fast.