The chili

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Ok... cold raw day wife and kids are on me for chili. The good stuff... not no sissy chili. Here we go. Gather the below canned/bottled stuff together.

Attachments

• 14B8CE43-F1F7-4642-A20C-EC3173E7B414.jpeg
    14B8CE43-F1F7-4642-A20C-EC3173E7B414.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 67

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Next... get a pound pack of ground deer... “or other ground meat” and smoked sausage (I like all beef). Slice up the sausage and brown in pot. Remove sausage reserving the oil created. Then, brown ground deer in oil from sausage... adding 3 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp chipotle chili powder, 1 tsp cracked black pepper, and 1 tsp salt. Remove.

You are going to want to eat it right now... DON’T!

Attachments

• CB49BDC1-4054-4BE5-A690-6C229C9846E5.jpeg
    CB49BDC1-4054-4BE5-A690-6C229C9846E5.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 677775C4-8BE4-41A2-BB0E-B3B1FCEA3EE3.jpeg
    677775C4-8BE4-41A2-BB0E-B3B1FCEA3EE3.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Next add chopped onions, bell peppers, and 5 cloves of chopped garlic to the pot. There should be enough grease leftover. If not add a tsp of canola oil. Cook for 8-10min at med-high gathering meat bits left behind.

After they have softened add the sausage and ground deer back to the pot.

Attachments

• 9E949BF4-0D18-4752-A32D-7B8846B5CB29.jpeg
    9E949BF4-0D18-4752-A32D-7B8846B5CB29.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Let them hang out together for another 5-8min stirring occasionally... it’s an arranged marriage.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Then turn heat up to high and add the beans and diced tomatoes and 56oz of water. Bring to a boil then back of to low med heat.... a simmer. When it starts to simmer add at LEAST a half a jar of the green pepper sauce and 1tsp of Worcestershire. Stir. ***I add 1/2 if not 3/4 of the green pepper bottle (5fl oz.). It’s not hot... just gives it a bite/flavor that most are looking for. My kids eat it no problem with the half bottle.

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When you grow up in a large family, you learn about the reason beans are in it - they're fillers. My mother took it one step further by serving the chili over a plate of rice.

Putting beans in it, for any reason you may choose, is fine. You just gotta call it what it is.

If there’s beans in it, it ain’t chilli.... it’s chilli beans.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When you grow up in a large family, you learn about the reason beans are in it - they're fillers. My mother took it one step further by serving the chili over a plate of rice.
That's the way my wife prefers it, but she's a displaced Yankee so there's that. She's just now started eating it with a few dashes of Franks Red Hot so maybe there's hope yet?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If she had some of my homemade fermented hot sauce, she would be smothering the chili with it. I got two more batches ready to process.
My buddy in Florida gave us some of his at Christmas, it's good stuff. Ferments for a year in a dark closet then blends and strains it twice before bottling it. Lot's of work for something that tastes awfully close to Crystals for less than a $1 a bottle. :)

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I made a batch this week. I use 3.5 lbs of venison roast that I sous vide'd for 18 hours before making the chili. I also took the ends of the bacon I made this weekend, diced them into small piece and cooked with dice onions in a skillet before adding to the chili.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I made a batch this week. I use 3.5 lbs of venison roast that I sous vide'd for 18 hours before making the chili. I also took the ends of the bacon I made this weekend, diced them into small piece and cooked with dice onions in a skillet before adding to the chili.
Now that's some good starter for real chili...

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I do love a good bowl of chilli beans in winter from Oct to April just tastes better but I wouldn't turn it down in July either.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I made some yesterday.

Drink a Ruby Lager and add a quart jar of home grown canned tomatoes and all the chilli seasonings plus a little extra cayenne to the crock pot and turn it on. lightly sautee a large diced onion, some garlic, and a large diced bell pepper. Take 2 lb of my ground 65% venison / 25% beef /10% bacon mixture and form 2 big patties. Smoked them at 225 for about an hour, then crumbled them down and put the meat in the crock pot. Drink a Ruby Lager and allow to boil for an hour in the crock pot and then add 1 can each of light and dark kidney beans. cook in crock pot another couple of hours while you make cornbread and sticky rice.

Put big scoop of sticky rice in a large bowl with several ladles of chilli over it. Add cheese and a dab of sour cream. Top with a center cut of cornbread. yum yum eat em up.