Yikes!

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Big Ten with 1 national title in football since the 2002 season

Zero titles in basketball since 2000

Zero baseball titles since 1964

Yikes!

Didn't OSU win in 2014 in football as well?

If you include baseball you need to look at accomplishments in wrestling and hockey too IMO

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
The big 10 is the most overrated conference in all sports as far as I’m concerned. Especially in basketball. Ever since the big east changed years ago all we hear about year in and year out is how good the big 10 is.....and how Michigan state/Tom Izzo are the greatest thing since sliced bread. They’re garbage. Overrated every year and when they “good” they get best in the first or 2nd round. Idc about the acc/big 10 challenge. Let’s see how many teams each conference has in the elite 8 at the end of the year. There is only one conference better than the acc in college basketball and that is the NBA. Same for sec football. Aside from Clemson there is no one else reputable over the last several years. Ohio st did win 1 national championship over the last 10 years but that is all. All the others were sec/acc.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Michigan state/Tom Izzo are the greatest thing since sliced bread. They’re garbage. Overrated every year and when they “good” they get best in the first or 2nd round.

I got no dog in the fight.. that just did not sound right so I looked it up.. in the Tom Izzo Era:

2000 NCAA Champions, 2009 National Runner-up, 8 Final Four appearances; 22 straight NCAA Tournament appearances; 10 Conference Championships; 6 Conference Tournament Championships

They have more Final Four appearances since 2000 than any other team with 5. Only 1 less Tournament win than Carolina, tied with Duke.. More Sweet 16s than Carolina but behind Duke by 2..

Does not make them the greatest thing since sliced bread but certainly not garbage.. in the last 20 years they have been pretty much neck and neck with the best teams in the land.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
The big 10 is the most overrated conference in all sports as far as I’m concerned. Especially in basketball. Ever since the big east changed years ago all we hear about year in and year out is how good the big 10 is.....and how Michigan state/Tom Izzo are the greatest thing since sliced bread. They’re garbage. Overrated every year and when they “good” they get best in the first or 2nd round. Idc about the acc/big 10 challenge. Let’s see how many teams each conference has in the elite 8 at the end of the year. There is only one conference better than the acc in college basketball and that is the NBA. Same for sec football. Aside from Clemson there is no one else reputable over the last several years. Ohio st did win 1 national championship over the last 10 years but that is all. All the others were sec/acc.
i can only think of one coach more overrated, Did less with more than any coach living or dead.
Media darling esteemed by all.
But izzo is close.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I got no dog in the fight.. that just did not sound right so I looked it up.. in the Tom Izzo Era:

2000 NCAA Champions, 2009 National Runner-up, 8 Final Four appearances; 22 straight NCAA Tournament appearances; 10 Conference Championships; 6 Conference Tournament Championships

They have more Final Four appearances since 2000 than any other team with 5. Only 1 less Tournament win than Carolina, tied with Duke.. More Sweet 16s than Carolina but behind Duke by 2..

Does not make them the greatest thing since sliced bread but certainly not garbage.. in the last 20 years they have been pretty much neck and neck with the best teams in the land.

I knew all of this when i posted that and still meant it whole heartedly. 1 national title......so many early exits with the “best” team in college basketball. And izzo is a complete jerk and not classy at all. Would not want him coaching my team if my mothers life depended on it.

and just a little side note......Michigan state is 0-5 agains Carolina in the tournament and they were all blowouts.

Oh, and 2-8 against Duke. I’ll never know how the Zion team lost to such a mediocre Michigan st team.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I knew all of this when i posted that and still meant it whole heartedly. 1 national title......so many early exits with the “best” team in college basketball. And izzo is a complete jerk and not classy at all. Would not want him coaching my team if my mothers life depended on it.

and just a little side note......Michigan state is 0-5 agains Carolina in the tournament and they were all blowouts.

Oh, and 2-8 against Duke. I’ll never know how the Zion team lost to such a mediocre Michigan st team.
Not going to argue with you about Carolina or Duke, you obviously don't like MS or Izzo. That's fine like I said no dog in the fight. But trying to say they are garbage when they have the most final four appearences in the last 20 year, renders your opinion suspect or at least not objective..

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Smith, Dean.

I can only partially argue with that. To have so many great teams and only won 2 championships is underachieving. On the other hand he was the most innovative college coach of my lifetime. A lot of things got instituted because of his style such as the shot clock. But yes, underachiever as far as titles.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I can only partially argue with that. To have so many great teams and only won 2 championships is underachieving. On the other hand he was the most innovative college coach of my lifetime. A lot of things got instituted because of his style such as the shot clock. But yes, underachiever as far as titles.
he was just beginning to be labeled a choker when michael saved him.
but you need to look no further for his ability to gag than the next season when he had jordan and the whole crew and they couldnt win.
and the shot clock was a response to his destroying the game not a great rush by him to get it instituted.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
he was just beginning to be labeled a choker when michael saved him.
but you need to look no further for his ability to gag than the next season when he had jordan and the whole crew and they couldnt win.
and the shot clock was a response to his destroying the game not a great rush by him to get it instituted.

nobody should’ve beat That team. Sam Perkins opened his big mouth and said “who’s the dawgs, bring on the dawgs” he found out who the dawgs were and we got our brains beat out. But it was also a testament to how hard it was to win a title back then. Having to win your conference just to get in was no easy feat. So many good coaches have gone without cutting nets down and he did do it twice. And the teams in the mid to late 90s that didn’t win just made me sick. I’ll never forget the game against Arkansas or Utah. And the weber state fiasco. But that’s what makes it special when your team does win one.

I wouldn’t say destroying the game......he just changed it. If you would’ve had Phil Ford on your team you would’ve coached the same way I bet. I know I would have. He couldn’t be caught.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Yep. He devised one helluva system at UNC. It lasted for years, til they got caught.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
nobody should’ve beat That team. Sam Perkins opened his big mouth and said “who’s the dawgs, bring on the dawgs” he found out who the dawgs were and we got our brains beat out. But it was also a testament to how hard it was to win a title back then. Having to win your conference just to get in was no easy feat. So many good coaches have gone without cutting nets down and he did do it twice. And the teams in the mid to late 90s that didn’t win just made me sick. I’ll never forget the game against Arkansas or Utah. And the weber state fiasco. But that’s what makes it special when your team does win one.

I wouldn’t say destroying the game......he just changed it. If you would’ve had Phil Ford on your team you would’ve coached the same way I bet. I know I would have. He couldn’t be caught.
dean was coaching two point halves while phil ford was a baby. he ran the same mess regardless of who was at point.

I always wondered in light of his known acceptance of dirty money if Weber handed him the second one?
Glad ole roy showed the world that someone else could win in CH. He more than anyone shows the potential that DES missed. IMO.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
dean was coaching two point halves while phil ford was a baby. he ran the same mess regardless of who was at point.

I always wondered in light of his known acceptance of dirty money if Weber handed him the second one?
Glad ole roy showed the world that someone else could win in CH. He more than anyone shows the potential that DES missed. IMO.

Dean and Roy are both tied for the GOAT.........Dean never took no dirty money. iF he did then well K has as well.

so what has happened to duke?????they cant even bust out and over .500 ???? Dark times for Duke.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Dean and Roy are both tied for the GOAT.........Dean never took no dirty money. iF he did then well K has as well.

so what has happened to duke?????they cant even bust out and over .500 ???? Dark times for Duke.
i wasnt implying dean took dirty money only that weber did and probably handed dean that NC. as in threw the game.
you are doing the title of GOAT a disservice by declaring a tie.
In what world would dean>roy?

Yes this year for duke is dire: resembles last year's trainwreck in CH dont you think?

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
i wasnt implying dean took dirty money only that weber did and probably handed dean that NC. as in threw the game.
you are doing the title of GOAT a disservice by declaring a tie.
In what world would dean>roy?

Yes this year for duke is dire: resembles last year's trainwreck in CH dont you think?
Dean was an innovator ...........yes he did lose some games but it was more just bad luck vs bad coaching. Marquette, no one was beating them w/o playing the game of the century when Mcquire anounced that the title game was his last.......Dean also lost players early to the NBA waaaaay before other teams did.

when UNC was up on ya and ole Dean called the 4 corners you could just mark it as a win....

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Coach k has that rapped up all day. I don’t worry about this year or his first few years. I can’t think of a single Duke team that has underperformed. A bad game or two here and there...but at the end of the season, you get what was available. Roy and Dean have had better talent than K for years but they can’t milk it like he can.