That time of year again...

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Lake matt is the same way right now in certain areas. Last time we fished it my son and i both got sinus infections and were on antibiotics for 10 days afterwards. Dang algae blooms aint no joke

gangrig252

Lake matt is the same way right now in certain areas. Last time we fished it my son and i both got sinus infections and were on antibiotics for 10 days afterwards. Dang algae blooms aint no joke
Interesting, here they're calling it "blue green algae" what about there?
They're saying theres no none source...

Gus

Six Pointer
It's been all over NE NC for a month or so. What I've run thrus been light powder blue color, strong smell kinda like ammonia burns your nose.

JohnBoat

Banned
Interesting, here they're calling it "blue green algae" what about there?
They're saying theres no none source...

Most excess nutrient runoff which causes algae blooms comes from nonpoint pollution. Which means it doesn't come from a single traceable source. Stuff like agricultural, residential, recreational, and urban runoff. Typically stuff like excess nitrogen in the water.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Most excess nutrient runoff which causes algae blooms comes from nonpoint pollution. Which means it doesn't come from a single traceable source. Stuff like agricultural, residential, recreational, and urban runoff. Typically stuff like excess nitrogen in the water.

Phosphorus. Some states even mandate the general sell of phosphorus free fertilizers unless phosphorus has been prescribed as needed.

So your labeling would be **-0-**, P being zero unless prescribed as a needed macro.

JohnBoat

Banned
Phosphorus. Some states even mandate the general sell of phosphorus free fertilizers unless phosphorus has been prescribed as needed.

So your labeling would be **-0-**, P being zero unless prescribed as a needed macro.

Yep, I just always figured nitrogen was part of it as well. Most stuff I see about nutrient pollution mentions both. Would like to see NC issue such a ban.

gangrig252

It's been happening here for several years now, even during drought. I've heard my ol man say same thing went on for years when he was a kid. Of course there were no advisories back then but the old folks wouldn't let the youngins in the water. There wasn't any grass back then either.

gangrig252

Some years ago the Roanoke was in very bad shape, if I remember correctly, they pit the finger on tug boats stirring up sediments. I was thinking that might be part of the problem here since we've had a major influx of tug boats over the past several years.....but at the same time there are no tug boats on the lake.

gangrig252

Population hasn't changed much here in my lifetime. Theres more chicken houses but very very few pigs anymore compared to years past when there were pigs on the ground on every block including the land I live on today. Farming has changed a lot. Chopping and cultivating lost its place to chemicals. Discing and tilling, to no till drills....
I've heard my ol man speak of carrying mule and cart to the river to get water for potato plants. Now most every field has a pivot point that sprays 24/7.