That ain't what it says............

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Screw it..
I'm going to just use 500 lbs of corn and shoot them with the cannon....
It will hold about 100 69 cal round balls and one big shot cup......

that image made me laugh,,,,,,that is WHACKIN' in style,,,,cannon,,,,,,,I'm jealous!!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It made me laugh and brought back memories also. Back in my younger days, and I mean waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back I used to know several of the guys that was in one of the top two motorcycle gangs here in the state. I happened to run into them at a local eatery and when I was leaving I walked over to them and spoke and they asked me what I was going to be doing that afternoon. I told them nothing important. They asked me to come watch them shoot their cannon. I laughed and said yeah right. They assured me that the were serious so how could a teenager pass that up?

I went to their club house and sure enough they had a brass cannon I would say it was about 3" bore and probably had a barrel between 3-4' long maybe longer. You have to know this is well over 40+ years ago. They had a 2 story house and had a big fence made out of sawmill slabs all the way around it. They had this thing in the second story pointed at the front gate which was closed. I don't remember the charge they put in it but they put old sparkplugs, nuts and assorted projectiles in there. They had it chocked to the floor and chained to the window sill. When they touched it off it tore the chains out of the window sill and tore the chocks up out of the floor. But didn't roll back much after doing that. We went down and looked at the damage to the fence and they had it aimed a little low so some of the pattern hit in the dirt. I would say the fence was about 30 yds from the house best I can remember but the pattern was about 30' best I remember. I also remember that some of that crap they shot went all the way through the thinner and the pine slabs they had for fencing. Ah to be young again.

Just for the record I am sure PopPop probably knows exactly who I am talking about and probably remembers where the house was. Later on most if not all of them went to prison for various reasons and I actually saw one of them buying gas about a year ago. He had been released less than a year prior to that.

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Lexington was a cool place to grow up in, wasn't it? I left long ago and often wonder whatever happened to that bunch of guys after they served their time, especially JB.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Okay guys below is the question I asked and the response I recieved:

Question Asked:

"Could you please clarify the legality of Muzzle loading firearms such as the Thompson Center Encore and CVA Apex? As you may know, these firearms are designed with an interchangeable barrel system consisting of muzzloading barrels designed to be used with black powder or black powder substitutes as well as centerfire/rimfire barrels that fire modern ammunition. However, these firearms, to the best of my knowledge, are not capable of being a muzzleloader and a centerfire/rimfire rifle at the same time. Basically, are these type firearms, while equipped with the appropriate muzzleloading barrel, legal during the black powder firearms season? Thanks in advance for the reply.

Reply:

As long as the firearm in question is using blackpowder, blackpowder substitute or other propellant and is not using a rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition while hunting in blackpowder season, it is legal.

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Brownisdown, can you put a name with that info? Somebody might need it for a subpoena come BP season.

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Some of you guys amaze me. I think the WRC needs to start printing the regulations book in crayon and put a page of stickers in it. It's incredible what some people will find to complain about.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Brownisdown, can you put a name with that info? Somebody might need it for a subpoena come BP season.

No kidding.

They copied Federal law which means the T/C Encore is illegal to use and guns made before 1898 are legal.

But not to the the WRC. :confused:

Last edited:

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good grief!!:mad:

During black powder season if:

1 - you're shooting your TC with a muzzleloader barrel it's legal!

2 - you're shooting your TC with a 30-06 barrel it ain't legal!!

Good grief!

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Good grief!!:mad:

During black powder season if:

1 - you're shooting your TC with a muzzleloader barrel it's legal!

2 - you're shooting your TC with a 30-06 barrel it ain't legal!!

Good grief!

I know it, you know it and anybody with half an ounce of common sense knows it but some people just like to argue and especially argue with the people they like to criticize. I don't give a rats rear end from here on out since what I already knew has been confirmed.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
OK, I've been told I could use a cap and black powder ball revolver, then told I could not, now they are saying I can. All responses from the NCWRC.

If it has the cap and ball cylinder in it it will not fire fixed ammo and it is does use black powder or a black powder substitute.

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Common sense........you are on the wrong thread which is dealing with some very intelligent folks who lack any of it.

ajsredbacks

So is a CVA Wolf legal with 209 primers and pellets During Bow season

Last edited:

blackheel

Twelve Pointer
An Encore is not capable of shooting centerfire ammo when it has a muzzleloader barrel on it.

For the bow season comment/question, straight from the blog posted at the start of this thread. "During the blackpowder and archery deer season, the only lawful firearms are blackpowder shotguns, blackpowder rifles and blackpowder handguns.

This means that both blackpowder firearms and archery equipment are lawful methods of take during the blackpowder season, which is the same as it was under previous muzzleloading seasons. It does not indicate that blackpowder is lawful during the archery season. "

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
From the NCWRC blog:

Re: Blackpowder Hunting Clarified

Are cap and ball black powder revolvers legal?

By DRS on 8/1/2014 3:22 PM
Re: Blackpowder Hunting Clarified

DRS: Yes, cap and ball black powder pistols are legal.
By NCWRC blogger on 8/1/2014 3:43 PM

wl704

Ten Pointer
For the bow season comment/question, straight from the blog posted at the start of this thread. "During the blackpowder and archery deer season, the only lawful firearms are blackpowder shotguns, blackpowder rifles and blackpowder handguns.

This means that both blackpowder firearms and archery equipment are lawful methods of take during the blackpowder season, which is the same as it was under previous muzzleloading seasons. It does not indicate that blackpowder is lawful during the archery season. "

Which would seem to contradict being able to bring a 22 pistol to dispatch a deer during archery season added a couple years back. Yes, the regs continuity is lacking and gets worse with nearly each addition.

~Bill

blackheel

Twelve Pointer
What they are talking about is where blackpowder and archery season overlap. I understand the wording is the best but this is being knit picked to death.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Archery overlaps with all deer seasons.

Just because it's legal to use archery during all deer seasons, I don't interpret that as "overlap".

Using archery any time is permission.....not an official season overlap.

JMHO......

blackheel

Twelve Pointer
There was some issue a few years ago where the rules read that you could only hunt with a muzzleloader during that season and not a bow. That got corrected and during the muzzleloader season you can choose to hunt with a muzzleloader or a bow. That is where they "overlap".