Thanksgiving Non Hunting Family Members

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I like laughing at people that say "oooohhhh, deer meat is gamey tasting. I don't like it."
Dumbazzes.
I am so tired of wussy-azz, snowflake acting, couldn't survive without grocery stores, don't know how to do a single thing themselves, useless, windbags I can't stand it.
I’ve met more people who say they don’t eat wild game meat (due to being gamey) but have never actually eaten any to make that assessment. In other words, they might be a bit timid and they’ve heard the gamey thing somewhere and that’s what they use to justify not eating it. Usually they are very matter of fact about it : “no I don’t eat deer. It’s just got that gamey taste.” And most of the times that I’ve asked if they’ve ever had it, they say no 🤣. But it’s a good opportunity to make someone a quality meal and change their mind. And I say make the meal because you give vac sealed bags of game to some people and you can look them in the eye and know damn well they’re gonna bury it in the freezer somewhere , outta sight outta mind.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That meme is spot on. There was an elderly couple in Indiana I would stay with for a week while hunting, and the wife would always ask if I caught anything. The husband, who was a farmer and owner of a tractor dealership, would always tease her about it.

I’ve met more people who say they don’t eat wild game meat (due to being gamey) but have never actually eaten any to make that assessment. In other words, they might be a bit timid and they’ve heard the gamey thing somewhere and that’s what they use to justify not eating it. Usually they are very matter of fact about it : “no I don’t eat deer. It’s just got that gamey taste.” And most of the times that I’ve asked if they’ve ever had it, they say no 🤣. But it’s a good opportunity to make someone a quality meal and change their mind. And I say make the meal because you give vac sealed bags of game to some people and you can look them in the eye and know damn well they’re gonna bury it in the freezer somewhere , outta sight outta mind.
I haven't decided whether I want them to see the light or not. Just imagine the downhill consequences if the masses knew what a properly grilled backstrap tastes like? Or good breakfast sausage? Or....

Especially the ones that make that statement while eating their 2nd or 3rd helping of venison they thought was beef..
My mom used to pull that trick all the time - slipping some venison in on the relatives. After awhile they just began assuming any brown meat likely came from a deer. My wife won't do it. I guess she's too sensitive to others' sensibilities. Doesn't want to offend folks. I would.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
My mom used to pull that trick all the time - slipping some venison in on the relatives. After awhile they just began assuming any brown meat likely came from a deer. My wife won't do it. I guess she's too sensitive to others' sensibilities. Doesn't want to offend folks. I would.
Anyone who eats at my house knows not to even ask. If you don't want to get a mouth full of deer, then you better get a piece of chicken off the grill; and then make sure it doesn't have a shoulder blade in it.
A few years back, my uncle complemented me on the best deerburger he'd ever eaten at my place. I then told him,"that's because it's bear". One of my "city" nieces stopped mid chew, but her sister and brother went back for seconds.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

oh, I never hide the fact of WHAT it is, sometimes I just don't volunteer the information. If asked, I'll be truthful with my answer. Most have just come to the understanding that most red meat meals at my house (or if I take a dish elsewhere) will be venison. They expect wild game of some sort here.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That picture describes me to a T when my wifes family comes over for Thanksgiving.
Hell her sister thought I was having an affair on my wife back when we first got married and i was up in Northampton about every weekend.
Non Hunting public are a different BREED of folks

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
oh, I never hide the fact of WHAT it is, sometimes I just don't volunteer the information. If asked, I'll be truthful with my answer. Most have just come to the understanding that most red meat meals at my house (or if I take a dish elsewhere) will be venison. They expect wild game of some sort here.
Church potlucks are what comes to mind first. My wife feels like without the context, it's not fair just to throw it in the mix. :)

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Especially the ones that make that statement while eating their 2nd or 3rd helping of venison they thought was beef..

Had one of my sons girlfriends in high school sit at the table and say “I’d never eat deer meat”. We all looked at each other and I said you know that spaghetti you ate the the other night you liked so good, the meatloaf and that burger you have in your hand right now….lol I said I hate to break to you but you’ve ate and loved it. She stopped for a second then she said yea it is good.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
Anyone who eats at my house knows not to even ask. If you don't want to get a mouth full of deer, then you better get a piece of chicken off the grill; and then make sure it doesn't have a shoulder blade in it.
A few years back, my uncle complemented me on the best deerburger he'd ever eaten at my place. I then told him,"that's because it's bear". One of my "city" nieces stopped mid chew, but her sister and brother went back for seconds.
When my wife and I were dating she would eat most wild game except for bear. One day she stops by the house for dinner and my Dad has a roast ready. She eats roasts and really likes it. I tell her it’s a bear roast and she doesn’t believe me. I walk her outside to the skinning shed and there’s the bear hide and head hanging up. I said you just ate part of him. She now will eat bear.