Thanksgiving Day hunt scare and success

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
What an adventure, and a butt puckering one it was.[emoji15]
So due to a change of Thanksgiving dinner plans, my SIL and I were able to get out for a hunt.
We had a spot picked out that we knew would have some Woody's and Mallards, if we could just be to the boat ramp first. So we got there pretty early and parking lot was empty.
Now some back story. My SIL's jonboat is in shop, so good thing my Gheenoe w/5hp Honda was up to the task.
Now we wanted to hunt a beaver pond, but could only access it by kayak, creek boat or canoe. Buy since my Gheenoe was loaded down with motor, gas n gear. We could not pull it over beaver dam.
So our plan was to ride down river (1.2 miles) and tow the canoe beside the Gheenoe. Both are 15' long. Easy peasy. We thought.
-Now for those who dont know, my Gheenoe rides low in water. Waterline is only about 8" from gunnels. Great for stability and shallow river water.
*****This picture is of Gheenoe last season. We didnt take the dog this time and had more gear today too.
So were cruising along down river about half throttle. My SIL was up front. We about half way to our entry spot to get canoe over dam. -Well something didn't feel right. I look down at my legs and the Gheenoe is full of The water in the boat was about 2 inches from the top. ( I figure the canoe rode up on the side of the Gheenoe causing water to flow into it. Can't see much in dark, on the river with a headlamp on red lens)
-- Now I'm not one to panic. Pretty quick thinking and mission mode oriented (Army paratrooper time)
I about panicked or [emoji90]my pants! Scared to move, or turn boat, or turn around and see if the transom was about under water. Motor is now on idle speed.
Now were in abou 7/8 ft of water, life vest on, and as I look in boat all our gear is floating.
My SIL's quick thinking(years of duck hunting and Ocrap times).
He told me to turn toward bank (only 30 yards away, damn long 30yds) I mean were not moving a muscle, hardly breathing. He says, other bank, to deep over there.
So we get the left bank, real muddy beachy bank. I get about get out and we had about 6-8" left befor the transom went under.
The Gheenoe slopes more shallow at middle.
--Now I dont have an auto bilge pump.( that's gonna change) my gas can was upside down my little plano ammo can ( has 2 -12v/9ah batteries)( was under and full of water) was only using it for a rigged up spot light and bilge pump, but I would have to manually connect it. It took about 5/6 min to pump out all most all the water so we could head off to our entry point again.
So we went slow and got there, no more issues. Plenty of time to get over dam. Set up decoys and wait for shooting time.
By 8 am we had 15 Woody's come into our pond, only got 2. Others came in to far from us about 100yds away.
So we:
1. Didn't sink.
2. Didnt lose any gear. However every thing was soaked.
3. Didn't get skunked.
4. Gonna install a auto bilge.
5. CAN NOT TOW CANOE WITH GHEENOE.
8a1e0afe79b75a5765b72b2e6b3ce9e7.jpg
6220d2af7b321ac724f5599b0c65ca1c.jpg
cf80d8ec3e29496f49819ca1e6fec5df.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Oh, almost forgot, saw a doe at rivers edge ( before we realized we were taking on water).
While in the pond the Beaver let us know he was there and didnt like it. And a bunch of turkeys, about 1/4 mile away were just a talking it up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That’s a pucker moment. Glad you beached it safely and got it taken care of. Sounds like a fluke deal where if you towed differently it would have worked. Thinner margin of error with the gheenoe though.