Thankfulness takes on new meaning as you get older

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I really couldn't put a mark on the calendar as to exactly when I realized that it's the simple day to day things that I am most thankful for. I can for sure put a mark on every day now that there is more time in the rearview mirror than through the windshield. Things like family, my bride, and a good home have always been at the top of the list of my blessings.

I guess it's normal for us when we are young to take our health for granted. Being on the short side of the seventies and headed toward eighty with the health to do what I've always done is a blessing I am thankful for every minute of every day.

I've heard it said that there comes a time when about all a man has left are his memories. I guess there is some truth to that and I'm thankful for all the wonderful memories that I have and all the ones still to be made. I am thankful that I've been blessed to see a lot, do a lot, and know a lot of people.

I remember two of my great grandmothers, so I've seen the passing of three generations. I am thankful for the teachings of ethics and hard work to accomplish whatever that each of those people left me.

The other day I was sitting in a tree stand, no deer in sight, cold morning but I had the clothes to stay comfortable, so from my pack I retrieved a peanut butter sandwich. As I ate it, I thought "man this is the best peanut butter sandwich I've ever eaten". Trying to figure out why it was so good I realized that it was no different than all of the peanut butter sandwich's I've eaten before. What made this one different was the fact that I was taking the time to enjoy it and appreciate the blessing of being where I was doing what I loved to do.

So my advice to the younger generation is to slow your life down if you can, believe me it goes by too fast on it's own. Be thankful for the memories that you are making today and every day. Take nothing for granted in this life because nothing is promised beyond the moment you are living. Enjoy your turkey, or maybe your peanut butter sandwich, as if you've never had it before and never will again.

Happy Thanksgiving and may blessings be yours.

ZG

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Things change in a blink of an eye. This year is the 2nd year without my grandma and grandpa and things changed so fast. I went from knowing what I was doing on Thanksgiving to not even knowing if I am having one as nobody has sent me any plans. So yes, I understand 100% what you are saying and can only tell others to cherish what you have as we aren't promised tomorrow.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Recently for a couple of minutes at the end of the day I have recounted the blessings of that day. As the day is ending it seems that the blessings stand out and the difficulties of the day have faded. Yes, the simplest things, the mundane things, seem to stand out as reminders of the Lords goodness. Everything good is from Him, even the reminder to remember His blessings.

Psalm 95:1-7

Hoss

Eight Pointer
My dear wife and I have been having Thanksgiving day meals at our home for years. We started out with our parents aunts and uncles,cousins,military that were to far from home to travel. The parents have passed on and only one aunt left now have grandchildren. The Lord has been good to us! Zacks Grandpa wrote As we get older we learn to appreciate simple things in life. Thank God for one more Family Thanksgiving get together. Skeet shoot following meal😁

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
so from my pack I retrieved a peanut butter sandwich. As I ate it, I thought "man this is the best peanut butter sandwich I've ever eaten". Trying to figure out why it was so good I realized that it was no different than all of the peanut butter sandwich's I've eaten before. What made this one different was the fact that I was taking the time to enjoy it and appreciate the blessing of being where I was doing what I loved to do.
Great words ZG, and in reference to this portion, i dont eat many sammichs until deer season, i look forward to my PB&J all year long, its more than the sammich, its about where i am, what i am doing and just being thankful for it all.
My next PB&J sammich will likely be Nov 2022 and i will be thankful for the same reasons you noted

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Thanks all you guys for reminding us all what is really important in our life… had a Sunday school teacher that took me under his wing once , he died many years ago. He once told me the only thing in life that will matter in the end is what we do with Jesus Christ. Think about that…can only hope that he is pleased with me in the end. Every day I see something or realize something that tells me how little I am in this world and I have to stop and thank him for letting me put my feet on the floor as I get out of bed, climb that tall ladder up them 22 steps into my stand and have no shortness of breath, watch the world come alive at first light knowing that he even made that fly that keeps hanging around in my warm stand and just will not fly out that window into the cold….yes, so simple but He knows all and keeps me grounded. Hearing is slowly fading, eyes not as good as few years back, but I have few pains in my body and pushing pass mid 70’s am Thankful for one more day on His earth. Hope ya’ll have a good Thanksgiving with your family.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So my advice to the younger generation is to slow your life down if you can, believe me it goes by too fast on it's own. Be thankful for the memories that you are making today and every day. Take nothing for granted in this life because nothing is promised beyond the moment you are living. Enjoy your turkey, or maybe your peanut butter sandwich, as if you've never had it before and never will again.

exactly,,,,

Hoss

Eight Pointer
Thanks all you guys for reminding us all what is really important in our life… had a Sunday school teacher that took me under his wing once , he died many years ago. He once told me the only thing in life that will matter in the end is what we do with Jesus Christ. Think about that…can only hope that he is pleased with me in the end. Every day I see something or realize something that tells me how little I am in this world and I have to stop and thank him for letting me put my feet on the floor as I get out of bed, climb that tall ladder up them 22 steps into my stand and have no shortness of breath, watch the world come alive at first light knowing that he even made that fly that keeps hanging around in my warm stand and just will not fly out that window into the cold….yes, so simple but He knows all and keeps me grounded. Hearing is slowly fading, eyes not as good as few years back, but I have few pains in my body and pushing pass mid 70’s am Thankful for one more day on His earth. Hope ya’ll have a good Thanksgiving with your family.
Well said Brother!

Greymule

Four Pointer
I really couldn't put a mark on the calendar as to exactly when I realized that it's the simple day to day things that I am most thankful for. I can for sure put a mark on every day now that there is more time in the rearview mirror than through the windshield. Things like family, my bride, and a good home have always been at the top of the list of my blessings.

I guess it's normal for us when we are young to take our health for granted. Being on the short side of the seventies and headed toward eighty with the health to do what I've always done is a blessing I am thankful for every minute of every day.

I've heard it said that there comes a time when about all a man has left are his memories. I guess there is some truth to that and I'm thankful for all the wonderful memories that I have and all the ones still to be made. I am thankful that I've been blessed to see a lot, do a lot, and know a lot of people.

I remember two of my great grandmothers, so I've seen the passing of three generations. I am thankful for the teachings of ethics and hard work to accomplish whatever that each of those people left me.

The other day I was sitting in a tree stand, no deer in sight, cold morning but I had the clothes to stay comfortable, so from my pack I retrieved a peanut butter sandwich. As I ate it, I thought "man this is the best peanut butter sandwich I've ever eaten". Trying to figure out why it was so good I realized that it was no different than all of the peanut butter sandwich's I've eaten before. What made this one different was the fact that I was taking the time to enjoy it and appreciate the blessing of being where I was doing what I loved to do.

Happy Thanksgiving and may blessings be yours.

ZG
ZG, I agree 100%. I appreciate this post. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thank you for the wise words, Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family

Chicken209

Six Pointer
Great post. I was able to get my mother home this year for thanksgiving. She is in a skilled nursing facility and on oxygen. It was a real job to get everything here for her. It was wonderful and she enjoyed and appreciated every second. I always hunt this week but realized that there is many things much more important. The deer can wait.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Sometimes the smell of things will set off memories for me too. I thought of that because I never fix peanut butter banana/honey tortillas except for hunting food. Don’t care if those get squished… all that cinnamon in the stores trying make people think it’s Christmas and I’m in the kitchen smelling peanut butter and tortillas getting excited for tomorrow. Nothing special just an ordinary mountain hunt, but it’s got a special place in my heart.

I used to live for deer camp week when it was my father in law, his dad, and me. Now I don’t miss their strange ways and poor success, but if someone would crank up the generator at the cabin right at dark, so I’d know it was time to get down, it would be some kind of special just to hear it again.