Texas hunt tips and suggestions needed.

I have an opportunity to hunt a private Texas ranch next year. It would be my brother in-law and my self going. I was considering driving but he wants to fly as his schedule is tighter than mine. My concern is checking in a rifle and ammunition on an airline and if I am lucky enough to take an animal, how to get the meat and or cape back home. Any tips from you guys that fly to your out of state hunts would be appreciated.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
You drive and pick your BIL up at the airport in Texas if you have the time . Any good BIL should do that. Don't have to rent a car ,can take your gear down and bring the meat and cape back.

Last edited:

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Depends where you are going in TX. I flew to DFW once , met my buddy there and drove to SW Tx which was another 14 hours ( 15 miles from Mex). Saw some beautiful country but I would have hated to drive from NC. Driven to East tx to hunt and wasn't terrible. I have back issues so riding for all day is an event for me. Checking guns and ammo on commercial airlines is pretty straight forward as long as you aren't connecting thru moron locales like DC, Baltimore. Chicago, Newark, or NYC. If you get stranded overnight or have to change flights and re enter security via a different terminal and have the wrong type of ammo/ firearms/mags it means trouble.
An important consideration...You are not allowed to bring any deer "bone" including skulls back into to NC due to CWD concerns. I would highly recommend finding a good taxidermist in TX if you get lucky and have them ship to you after mounting. All meat will have to be deboned.

I have shipped firearms ( and fishing , camping gear) to myself ( a couple of weeks ahead of time) C/O myself IF you really trust the outfitter/guide, ranch or motel where you are staying to hold for you until you get there. I have done this extensively in the Caribbean and canada with fishing gear (including thermocells you cant fly with) and it works pretty good.
If you fly Southwest airlines I will pack hunting gear into two coolers ( two bags free+ shared rifle case with BIL) and if I get meat I would package just the cold/ frozen meat up to 50 lbs in each one and ship my hunting gear back UPS.
Hope that helps some.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I flew from RDU to Dallas and checked in a rifle.....not a problem, just have your rifle in a lockable gun case. I can't remember if it was necessary, but I did remove the bolt from the rifle inside the case. Just look up the latest and greatest rules on the airport website.
At the airport in Dallas they see so many guns it's not a big deal at all. I donated the meat while I was there so can't help you there but I did get a deer mounted out there. I just dropped it off at the taxi there and they shipped it to me.

Deer hunting in Texas was fun but more or less just shooting not hunting...lol. Not saying it's bad or anything just different than here. I enjoyed it though.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Just a warning....I flew to canada once and my gun didn't make the trip. Don't know how often that happens but one time was too much for me. Some yahoo decided my gun got left behind. It finally showed up on sunday night and I was able to drive 4.5 hours back to pick it up at mid night. My hunt started Monday morning. Getting it on a plane was not a issue if you followed the rules. Bad part for me was only a person with a firearm license could bring it to me due to Canadas strict laws. Sad part was anybody could of got my gun at the airport...it was just laying on a table in a room.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Doing what MJ74 said is good advise. Double check with the airline on flying with gun and ammo. I thank ammo needs to be in your checked baggage not in your gun case. There may be a limit on how much ammo you can check in your baggage. Donating the meat is not a bad idea either. If you have a taxidermist here that you want to do a mount for you just salt the cape really good and put it in a box with the rack and have it shipped back home UPS. This is not hard but do take care of the details. Good luck!!

Last edited:

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I agree fully with everything mentioned here. Depending on where you'll be going, it'll probably be a 2-3 day drive, but it's a nice relaxing drive - I've made it a few times. I wouldn't trust an airline with my gear, ever.

Enjoy your hunt. Texas is a beautiful state. Depending where the ranch is, the style may be very similar or vastly different to what your used to. It'll be enjoyable though, I'm sure!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Drive straight thru carry your gear and coolers then no worries

depending on where in texas,,,that "drive straight through" is a hard chore by yourself,,,,it's 20 to 24 hrs of straight driving (not including gas/food stops) and this fellow doesn't do "enduro-thon" drives anymore,,,,,

used to do them,,,but a hotel is cheap in the big picture of things,,,,or heck I even sleep in the truck cab at times,,,

but do agree,,,when I am hunting I almost always drive - have flown (AZ, Alaska, Quebec) but prefer to drive so I can take whatever I want

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
My crowd and I have done the drive to west Texas each time we have gone. Break it up in to a couple of days and it's actually a nice trip and you know exactly where your gear is.

Reactions: RJ1

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
My crowd and I have done the drive to west Texas each time we have gone. Break it up in to a couple of days and it's actually a nice trip and you know exactly where your gear is.

This is a good piece of advice....I flew a lot for work and wouldn’t trust my gear to get where I was headed when I got there. Had to many times where I showed up and my bag didn’t and the airline had a hard time finding my bag. It would get to me, but it might take them a day to do it....only time I would fly to hunt is either Alaska or Africa or New Zealand. Most places in the states I would drive if I was hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Flying is the way to go imo. I hunted west Texas one time... got on a plane early one morning in Greensboro, flew into Houston, connected to Midland/Odessa, stopped by the Walmart there got my license and was in a blind hunting that afternoon.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
To each their own but I'm in the driving boat I like the ride I used to drive straight through to east ks western Neb and such but I guess my age is catching up to me from now on its split up with some sleep in between I like having my coolers and gear with me

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Depends where you are going in TX. I flew to DFW once , met my buddy there and drove to SW Tx which was another 14 hours ( 15 miles from Mex). Saw some beautiful country but I would have hated to drive from NC. Driven to East tx to hunt and wasn't terrible. I have back issues so riding for all day is an event for me. Checking guns and ammo on commercial airlines is pretty straight forward as long as you aren't connecting thru moron locales like DC, Baltimore. Chicago, Newark, or NYC. If you get stranded overnight or have to change flights and re enter security via a different terminal and have the wrong type of ammo/ firearms/mags it means trouble.
An important consideration...You are not allowed to bring any deer "bone" including skulls back into to NC due to CWD concerns. I would highly recommend finding a good taxidermist in TX if you get lucky and have them ship to you after mounting. All meat will have to be deboned.

I have shipped firearms ( and fishing , camping gear) to myself ( a couple of weeks ahead of time) C/O myself IF you really trust the outfitter/guide, ranch or motel where you are staying to hold for you until you get there. I have done this extensively in the Caribbean and canada with fishing gear (including thermocells you cant fly with) and it works pretty good.
If you fly Southwest airlines I will pack hunting gear into two coolers ( two bags free+ shared rifle case with BIL) and if I get meat I would package just the cold/ frozen meat up to 50 lbs in each one and ship my hunting gear back UPS.
Hope that helps some.
It isn't a big deal if its just a connection. To them its just another oversize bag...

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Fly out there and use or rent one of their guns, that's a terrible trip to take by yourself unless you just want to see the country. Once you get to Texas you think you're there....nope....that's a big state to drive across.
I've flown for hunts multiple times but not real recently but I was always holding my breath that my gun would make it, that the airport idiots that "handle" y luggage wouldn't trash my rifle, scope and/or case just because they can..it's actually pretty standard practice for airlines to lose or trash your luggage and it's a PITA to get real reimbursement for it. IF your rifle makes it have plenty of ammo to re-sight it, I guarantee it's seen beating and banging far beyond what you typically put it through in several years time.
Have fun, Texas is a cool place to hunt. No telling what you'll see at most places.

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
I’m a flyer. I fly all the time, but it’s generally with my bow. If Southwest is an option for your destination then I’d recommend them, they have been the easiest to deal with for me. I have a larger than normal carry for clothing and you get 2 checked bags with them for free as long as they are under 50lbs.

If you are not comfortable camping out your own animal, look up a local taxidermist and pay him to do so. He can prepare the cape for shipping and with it frozen solid and dry ice you can put it in a small cooler and have it as a carry on with you. If you want the meat, have it processed then frozen and pickup a cooler at Walmart (5 day Igloo has been my go to for this) and pack meat and dry ice then duct tape it shut so that it’s not opened. You can fly it home on the plane as checked luggage just as cheap as you can have it sent UPS/Fedex/DHL etc... the key is to put the dry ice on it before going to the airport so plan your return flight to allow you time/opportunity to do that. The rack can go in a cardboard box with pipe insulation on the points and them taped up. Very easy to do with just a little planning.

The key for me is looking for direct flights(less likely to misplace your luggage vs connector flights) and to allow myself time to prepare. All the things you will need to bring the meat and horns home are inexpensive in the grand scheme of the trip and easily picked up at any local Walmart. A good lockable gun case that you could either buy or borrow from a friend is a must and combination TSA type locks are easier for me cause I don’t need to keep up with a stupid key, just remember a code. The TSA agents have a master key that allows them entry for any TSA lock made so nothing to worry about on that front.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
It isn't a big deal if its just a connection. To them its just another oversize bag...
It actually is a big deal if flights get cancelled, equipment issues or weather issues. In any of those events you have to retrieve your luggage to go to a different carrier IE terminal or get put into a hotel for the night, you will have to go back through security and now you have your AR with 30 round mags or your hollowpoint ammo etc... in a city that will lock you up for it. It is a legal nightmare. You are a protected traveler if devices (guns, ammo) are legal where you left and legal where you are going WITHOUT interrupting your travel by staying in said city. Plenty of folks have learned this the hard way.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
I’m a flyer. I fly all the time, but it’s generally with my bow. If Southwest is an option for your destination then I’d recommend them, they have been the easiest to deal with for me. I have a larger than normal carry for clothing and you get 2 checked bags with them for free as long as they are under 50lbs.

If you are not comfortable camping out your own animal, look up a local taxidermist and pay him to do so. He can prepare the cape for shipping and with it frozen solid and dry ice you can put it in a small cooler and have it as a carry on with you. If you want the meat, have it processed then frozen and pickup a cooler at Walmart (5 day Igloo has been my go to for this) and pack meat and dry ice then duct tape it shut so that it’s not opened. You can fly it home on the plane as checked luggage just as cheap as you can have it sent UPS/Fedex/DHL etc... the key is to put the dry ice on it before going to the airport so plan your return flight to allow you time/opportunity to do that. The rack can go in a cardboard box with pipe insulation on the points and them taped up. Very easy to do with just a little planning.

The key for me is looking for direct flights(less likely to misplace your luggage vs connector flights) and to allow myself time to prepare. All the things you will need to bring the meat and horns home are inexpensive in the grand scheme of the trip and easily picked up at any local Walmart. A good lockable gun case that you could either buy or borrow from a friend is a must and combination TSA type locks are easier for me cause I don’t need to keep up with a stupid key, just remember a code. The TSA agents have a master key that allows them entry for any TSA lock made so nothing to worry about on that front.
Dry ice was not allowed on a air plane at one time it may be now ,don't know better check. Was told it gives off co2 and would deprive animals of oxygen in cargo.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Dry ice was not allowed on a air plane at one time it may be now ,don't know better check. Was told it gives off co2 and would deprive animals of oxygen in cargo.
5 lbs max and you cant "seal it" airtight and TSA has to have a label and be able to inspect. It has to be allowed to vent Carbon dioxide but as someone else said check with airline because it varies from one to another. Flew to Denver with Bluefin tuna steaks several times for my friends and came back with Pronghorn and elk steaks. Pretty good trade, I haven't found any Pronghorns here in NC and the rangers in Maggie Valley get upset when I get out my rifle :sneaky:

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
I believe the max is 5.5lbs of dry ice. You should tape the package the dry ice came in to the top of the cooler so that TSA can see that Dry Ice is present and it’s weight. I have also used solid frozen orange juice bottles as a supplement for loose ice, just gotta be careful it doesn’t melt a great deal before flight so it remains a solid and not in liquid form.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
It actually is a big deal if flights get cancelled, equipment issues or weather issues. In any of those events you have to retrieve your luggage to go to a different carrier IE terminal or get put into a hotel for the night, you will have to go back through security and now you have your AR with 30 round mags or your hollowpoint ammo etc... in a city that will lock you up for it. It is a legal nightmare. You are a protected traveler if devices (guns, ammo) are legal where you left and legal where you are going WITHOUT interrupting your travel by staying in said city. Plenty of folks have learned this the hard way.
Have they though? I've flown through and into ORD (Chicago) a few times with guns. Every single time there was a cop visible, and never was he interested in what was in the long, skinny locked case. When I flew out through ORD the procedure was mostly identical to RDU; actually, it was more transparent, instead of taking the gun away to run through the X-Ray and onto the plane they walked me back so they wouldn't have to cut the locks (thoguh I used TSA locks) to look at the gun. If you want to take your 30 Rd Magazines on a hunting trip and are that concerned about it UPS them to your destination. If you land in New Jersey and have hollow points in your checked bag, drop them in a trash can if you're really worried, but they aren't illegal if you're hunting or travelling to or from hunting. The TSA isn't responsible for or interested in enforcing firearms laws, just like they don't really care if you have a joint in your carry on.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Have they though? I've flown through and into ORD (Chicago) a few times with guns. Every single time there was a cop visible, and never was he interested in what was in the long, skinny locked case. When I flew out through ORD the procedure was mostly identical to RDU; actually, it was more transparent, instead of taking the gun away to run through the X-Ray and onto the plane they walked me back so they wouldn't have to cut the locks (thoguh I used TSA locks) to look at the gun. If you want to take your 30 Rd Magazines on a hunting trip and are that concerned about it UPS them to your destination. If you land in New Jersey and have hollow points in your checked bag, drop them in a trash can if you're really worried, but they aren't illegal if you're hunting or travelling to or from hunting. The TSA isn't responsible for or interested in enforcing firearms laws, just like they don't really care if you have a joint in your carry on.
First of all sorry its so long but you either didn't understand what I was trying to warn the OP about or you are mistaken because you have walked thru ORD with a long gun case and didn't get thrown down LOL. BTW I usually ask (and have very rarely been refused) for a private area with TSA/Airline check-in so that I could do exactly what you did leaving ORD. I don't like opening my case on the counter to prove cased properly, unloaded, and ammo stored securely but that is also the reason I ship my firearms more often than not.
You are right about TSA responsibility but they do pick up the phone and call CPD or NY Port Authority. I didn't want to completely derail the thread for the man going to Texas (too late) but I have flown quite a bit with handguns and longs both for training, hunting, and competition and I was merely pointing out that he needed to be aware of where you change planes or could get stranded or arrested. I have never and will never book a flight thru those areas if I'm flying with anything illegal in that state municipality including any ammo which you have to have a NYC permit for if you try to check in at LGA or JFK.
Here is a excerpt from a criminal defense attorney site that sums it up nicely.
"Lawful gun owners are allowed to travel with weapons. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) states that travelers can transport unloaded firearms in checked baggage provided the guns are in a locked, hard-sided container. The container must be kept secured.
If you are flying into or out of a NY airport, or you are passing through, it is natural to assume you are in compliance with the law if you follow these federal regulations and if your weapon is legally owned in your home state. This is why it can come as such a shock when you find yourself charged with a crime. Far too many travelers have faced the following scenario:
  • They presented a firearm to a gate agent in order to check the weapon. The gun is licensed in their home state and securely contained in a locked container.
  • Police officers from the Port Authority of New York show up. They put the gun owner in handcuffs, sometimes in front of their families and children.
  • The gun owner is taken to jail. They must wait for a hearing, while locked up with other people who are facing felony In some cases, they stay in jail for more than a day as they wait for their hearing.
  • The gun owner goes before a judge and is shocked to discover that he or he is facing FELONY charges. Not only that, but the felony could carry a potential mandatory minimum sentence of 3.5 years in prison upon conviction.
A missed plane, a life put on hold, and a felony charge- even when you tried to follow the law."

And from the NRA site RE travelling through NYC or NJ.
"Special advisory for New York & New Jersey airports: Despite federal law that protects travelers, authorities at JFK, La Guardia, Newark, and Albany airports have been known to enforce state and local firearm laws against airline travelers who are passing through their jurisdictions. In some cases, even persons traveling in full compliance with federal law have been arrested or threatened with arrest. FOPA's protections have been substantially narrowed by court decisions in certain parts of the country, particularly in the Northeast. Persons traveling through New York and New Jersey airports may want to consider shipping their firearms to their final destinations rather than bringing them through airports in these jurisdictions."
From TSA Website:
Firearm possession laws vary by state and locality. Travelers should familiarize themselves with state and local firearm laws for each point of travel prior to departure. For example, while firearms can be declared and checked with baggage in Cincinnati, it’s illegal in New York City due to possession laws. Airlines may have additional requirements for traveling with firearms and ammunition. Travelers should also contact the airline regarding firearm and ammunition carriage policies. Also, please note that other countries have different laws that address transportation and possession of firearms. If you are planning to travel internationally, check the regulations of the destination country to ensure compliance with their requirements.

I appreciate the suggestions but I am not going to NY or NJ or Chicago. If you could keep it related to travel to Texas or States in that area of the country I would appreciate it. Please keep the suggestions coming. I never thought about borrowing a gun but I will check and see if that is an option. I just kinda didn't want to impose with the land owner as he was already nice enough to invite us.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
I appreciate the suggestions but I am not going to NY or NJ or Chicago. If you could keep it related to travel to Texas or States in that area of the country I would appreciate it. Please keep the suggestions coming. I never thought about borrowing a gun but I will check and see if that is an option. I just kinda didn't want to impose with the land owner as he was already nice enough to invite us.
So to do my best to help get it back on track all of my caution was about travel to Texas if you fly. What may have been misunderstood by others (or poorly communicated by me) is this, you do not have to be going to those places to "stay" but may be put into jeopardy given that you are not in charge of cancellations etc...
IF you are flying with firearms and IF you are connecting via one of those places and IF you get stuck there do not take anything handgun related or "illegal" back into the airport unless you and your firearms want to spend time in the pokey. If you fly nonstop or connect thru say ATL or Tampa etc...no issues flying with a firearm. As I said if its an option I usually ship my long guns and I mostly fly with my pistols because after clearing paperwork in TSA secure area my pistols are placed back into my locked case and then into my "normal TSA locked luggage" and much less likely to be stolen by a handler. If you would like some details feel free to PM me.