Teton Brown Trout

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Took the family to Grand Teton NP and surrounding area for a week. This is one of the most beautiful places I've seen in this country. Made it a point to book a fly fishing trip for a day for my son and I to break things up a bit. With all the snow melt run-off in the streams, it's not quite prime time for dry fly and hopper fishing just yet, so we got it done with nymphs and huge streamers.

Our guide was a 23-year-old from Virginia who vacationed out here every summer with his family as a kid. After school he could not wait to move out west and guide. He was knowledgeable beyond his years, and put us in great position to cast and land these stout browns. We battled 6 fish over 21" to the drift boat, with a couple topping 5 lbs. My son's first ever fish on the fly was 23" and 5.5 lbs.

When the guide handed me a 10' 7-wt with an articulated deer-hair streamer that resembled a baby brown trout, I knew we were in for some real battles in a stiff current. Very memorable day for both of us!

05 Jeff Brown 1.JPG06 Owen Brown 1.JPG08 Owen Brown 2.JPGArticulated Sex Dungeon Streamer.JPG

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
hose fish were thick, had shoulders, and hit the streamers with bad intentions...

when they get that big they are pure predators,,,,fun to catch on dries, but (IMO) when you show them a chunky fly they hammer

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes, nowhere to go but down from here.

No Joke. I floated the Snake once at the base of the Tetons in mid-September, and I haven't found a trout experience since that compared.

You're supposed to let him spend years beating back the rhododendron for 8" trout before letting him get a taste of that.:D

Congrats on some nice trout in some beautiful country.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Nice trip gotta live them aggressive browns and heck of a first 5 plus ponder bet he was all smiles rest of day

MtnMan

Ten Pointer
When he finishes school and moves out there to be a guide maybe he will let you come live with him. You do know that you have created another guide don't you ?

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I used to wear them out there with Muddler Minnows and Mickey Finns and Grey Ghosts when I lived out there.

Glad you are hooked on the West now!!!!!!!!….welcome to the club.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My favorite way to fish for them. Also my favorite flies to tie.

Stripping big streamers is definitely a more active approach than drifting nymphs or floating dries. Reminded me a bit of the style we use to fly fish for muskies in northern Wisconsin, but on a smaller scale...

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
Stripping big streamers is definitely a more active approach than drifting nymphs or floating dries. Reminded me a bit of the style we use to fly fish for muskies in northern Wisconsin, but on a smaller scale...

The real fun is fishing musky flies to browns...