Terrible weather for opening day

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
What do define as a 'small amount' that it will 'run out' if you turn it upside down?
I mean a few drops, and I sat the trigger group upside down and and the liquid would run back out, then wipe it up every couple minutes until all the excess seemed to be out. Shot 100shells through it at the skeet range tonight and no issues so it looks like that resolved it

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Quick scouting trip before work this morning, saw some decent numbers that I’m gonna try to hit Christmas morning before my wife wakes up

likemy16

Button Buck
Well it seems we have two topics so I’ll reply to both ..

I also shoot an A400 and have had no FTF issues in 4 seasons. As mentioned, I’d be working on the firing pin linkage/assembly. The fact that the problem is exacerbated by the cold suggest a dirty build up of oil/gunk on you hammer spring causing a light strike. Grime causes sluggishness in cold environments. I’d also completely breakdown the fp mechanism and throughly inspect/ clean it. Replace the parts if necessary. Do all this and your gun should run flawlessly again.

Well, my partner and I seemed to have had a little better luck Saturday by taking a fairly quick limit. Saw a fair amount of birds albeit pretty foggy. We’ve had a super season so far ….
View attachment 81599
Very Nice

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I’d take that firing pin/bolt assembly apart and clean it with gun scrubber or break cleaner. Do not get either of those on anything synthetic, painted, dipped or coated. Then put a very thin coat of CLP on it.

I shoot a A400. When I put CLP anywhere on it, I wipe it dang near dry. 7 or 8 years, only issue I’ve had is I destroyed the recoil pad from it rubbing on the blind floor.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I’d take that firing pin/bolt assembly apart and clean it with gun scrubber or break cleaner. Do not get either of those on anything synthetic, painted, dipped or coated. Then put a very thin coat of CLP on it.

I shoot a A400. When I put CLP anywhere on it, I wipe it dang near dry. 7 or 8 years, only issue I’ve had is I destroyed the recoil pad from it rubbing on the blind floor.
Can’t say it enough on just how important this ^^ is to get that firearm running flawlessly! And it doesn’t take long to do it. I think oiling the trigger group didn’t do much for addressing the issue and might have been coincidental to it working properly again at the skeet range. Periodic shots on a cold, cold morning while hunting will reveal much more to its reliability.

Wanchese, I found it interesting your comment on wearing down the recoil pad on the blind floor. Mine has done that very same thing! Had a suspicion that was what was going on. Those pads are nice but obviously don’t wear worth a 💩.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Much better day today with a nice limit of teal and woodies. Seems like the birds are concentrated if you have good water.
Not hearing much from my buddies in the coastal marshes. Need some weather bad.

Fatkid

Eight Pointer
Pea Island and Lighthouse Pond at Bodie Island have more puddle ducks in them than I’ve seen in a long time but they don’t even leave. Too much boat traffic for them to sit anywhere else.
They need to shut down the recreational trout fishing season.

TH80

Eight Pointer
Better today than Saturday but not by much. Water is still low in the swamp but it has come up a little. Saw a few more wood ducks than the last couple hunts mostly high flyers but did have a few come in. Killed 2 should have had a limit. No big ducks seen. At least I wasn’t sweating like Saturday.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
My hunting partner went to his favorite swamp this am hoping the recent rains had put a little water in it. Wrong!!!

The plus side of all this is the smartweeds and millets, etc. will have exploded this fall. If we get enough rain, those places should produce birds. If not, makes for next season’s seed production to be even better. AA87126D-2F34-4820-8FE7-147BF5AB1A26.jpeg

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Hunted Cedar Island Friday morning, very low numbers. We shot a few but by far the slowest hunt I’ve personally had down that way. I’m out scouting right now, found at least one good pocket of birds so far and seeing several flying around so hopefully they’ll stick around a couple days.