Tennessee outlaws the killing of hens during the fall hunt

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Fall hunting in Tennessee is male turkeys only now.

Just a few years ago in some counties you could take as many as 6 hens in the fall hunts..

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I think it's a good move. I watched catman on youtube sneak up and shoot 4 hens in one hunt. That type of hen harvest can't be good for the population.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

Just a few years ago in some counties you could take as many as 6 hens in the fall hunts..
i think if you dig deeper you will find loopholes that allowed fall hunters to kill scores of hens by claiming tags from multiple counties. In fact one of our big time posters TC was a poster child for that program.

good for Tennessee. i would suppose their 4 bird spring limit is open to reduction as well.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Like so many other states trying to slow the bleeding of declining numbers. Sure can't hurt by taking these measures but time will tell could be they are just leveling off like so many other states

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I was hoping for a two bird spring limit but according to sources doesn’t look like it will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I dont have much issue either way with gobbler limit in spring while 4 is high I doubt most are tagging out and saving them hens after them years of crazy limits is right way to go to me. Well see maybe Giles county will get back to where was l. I wad told the hatch was decent last year I may be there 1st few days April got a newbie that lives in state wanting to learn the game.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
if you have an interest the TN deer forum has many county year to year reported kill totals listed in threads. It is gruesome how some counties have declined in gobbler kills.

but they are still killing 30,000 or so a year.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns

Ole TC used to say how he could kill 20+ turkeys legally every fall....

outdoorNC

Spike
Any reduction in the limit in TN is a good thing. I hunted in Bedford County this Spring and saw what I thought was a fairly decent number of turkeys. However, several locals told me that it used to be common to see hundreds of turkeys in fields during the winter and that the turkey population had significantly decreased in recent years. They told me that they had heard that the reduction in numbers was due to disease. Of course, have no idea how true that is. The harvest numbers for 2016 were 32,286, 34,625 for 2017 and 27,361 for 2018.