Temperature Stall

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
How long does the temperature stall last for a pork butt? I started it at 6:00am this morning. Now at a little over 8 hours, the temperature is at 158F. I'm hoping to have this for supper tonight at around 7:30pm and would like at least a one hour rest. So I have about 4 hours and 15 minutes to finish. I plan on wrapping in foil and raising the temperature. Can it reach 195F by the end?

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
it can take awhile. Ive had it take 2-3 hours. Basically you are at the point of evaporation cooling causing the stall. If you want to speed it up go ahead with the texas crutch and wrap it up.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I don't know how long it has been in a stall. I've only been peeking at the temperature every few hours. Could be at the beginning or near the end.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Let it go until around 4, If its still not rising you will need to wrap it to have it ready. Once its past the stall it usually goes pretty fast.
Whats the smoker temp? are you using a water pan?

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Let it go until around 4, If its still not rising you will need to wrap it to have it ready. Once its past the stall it usually goes pretty fast.
Whats the smoker temp? are you using a water pan?

Yes, on water pan. As for the smoker, I was cooking at two temperatures. My smoker (electric Masterbuilt, [oven QBD2]) was set at 225F from 6:00am to 12:30pm. My remote temperature probe read around 240F. The temperature of the butt was somewhere around 145F (faulty memory). So before going back to work, I bumped the smoker to its highest setting of 275F but the temperature probe was only reading 255F.

Since I knew I was going to be on a conference call from 3:00 to 4:30, I put the butt in foil at 2:55pm (Texas crutch) to be sure I could get it cooked in time. At 4:30pm, I went and checked. The meat temperature was at 190F so I'm near the final temperature. So should I unwrap it and stick it back in to harden the bark or just give it a long rest since it will probably reach final temperature soon?

For temperature readings of the inside of the smoker and inside the meat, I use the following meat thermometer (ThermoPro TP20). I find it very accurate.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I had the same issue with my masterbuilt until it finally gave out. I would remove the water, unwrap it and let it roll on high until its built back some crust. At 190 it should still pull so you are really just developing the crust again and further breaking down the meat. When i was using a similar set up I would remove the water (apple juice and vinegar) when it stalled to help get it over the hump. Another little trick I used to limp my masterbuilt along was to build a little side fire on the bottom with some wood chips. It helped add more smoke and keep the temp up.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Peach paper will keep your bark.... just in preparation for next time.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
451c8ce2e2fb0e9f53df0bab4b32a3b8.jpg

d8ea3bd745c5472c2531a1e712899ad8.jpg

Before and after. I had trouble keeping it together for the after photo. My older daughter and I loved it. My wife and younger daughter didn't like the smoke flavor and wants me to cook it in a crockpot next time. The rub had brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika I brought back from Hungary. If you ask where is the black pepper or red pepper, my wife and kids don't like anything spicy. For my wife, one fleck of black pepper is too hot. Yes, this is the burden I carry with marriage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Another little trick I used to limp my masterbuilt along was to build a little side fire on the bottom with some wood chips. It helped add more smoke and keep the temp up.

I use one of those stainless steel perforated tubes that you fill with pellets. I don't even use the built in wood holder for the Masterbuilt anymore.

I think one reason the temperature read higher on the probe in the beginning and lower towards the end is due to the heat put out by the smoker tube. It will smoke for about 6 hours. That's about the length of time between the different readings I saw from my temperature probe.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Next week it's going to be a deer roast just for myself for sandwiches. My wife hates venison so I can add whatever spice and smoke as much as I want.

Looks delicious! That bark will eat. I have had similar stall issues. But have a different smoker. I usually just add more lump charcoal to mine and cook it longer. Usually turns out but never know exactly how long it will take.