Tell me about your reloads

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Just interested to hear what y’all are doing with them. What you’re using them for, how different bullets have worked for you this season, who’s reloading for rare cartridges etc

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I shot 2 deer this year, both with rifles, one in NC and one in WV. I started reloading in January of 2017 but during the 2017 hunting season the only deer I killed was with a bow, and didn’t get to test my loads on game.

The first was shot in NC with my 308, pushing Hornady 150gr interlocks over 46gr of Varget. Steep quartering to shot around 70yards I think, entered at base of neck and pulverized the internals. I didn’t find an exit, nor did I find the projectile, but the entry hole was good sized and the lungs were just turned into a mess. Deer ran a couple yards and dropped.

Second was a few days ago during WV’s antlerless rifle season. Bumped some deer out of the thick brush they were bedding in and had a ~130yd shot at a big doe as she ran into the hayfield and paused momentarily. Shot her with a 270, using 130gr Federal Trophy Bonded Tip bullets and 54gr of IMR 4350. She took off into the tree line and I pursued immediately. Blood trail was easy to find and blood looked good so I followed it, already having a good idea where she’d be laying. She ran 60 yards or so before expiring. Entry was about what you’d expect, exit hole was probably 2.5-3x the size of the entry. She was hit towards the back of the lungs on a perfectly broadside shot, but somehow it had ruptured a hole in the intestines, making for a dirty gutting session (I assume the force exerted from the round caused a shockwave of some sort that caused that?).

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I think I’m boring. I keep shooting Game Kings and Partitions at deer.
They just keep on killing them.
Hope to try some different stuff in my .260 just for fun.
I doubt I switch bullets though. I’m

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I load for everything I own and some I don’t except.22lr and I load TSS for turkeys and waterfowl.
. Nosler accubonds And partitions, Barnes TTSX, federal trophy bonded, hornady eldx, hornady vmax and sierra gamekings for the majority of it

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m looking to get a hunting rifle before next season. I’m trying to figure out what caliber. Glad to see people are having a good time loading. I’ve only done pistols and shotguns.

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
I’ve only taken deer with reloads in my 25/06 with 110gr accubonds over 52gr of RE-22. I love the accubonds but I hate the price.

In the 243 I’m finishing up my 100gr partitions with 40.5gr of imr4350. Again price is a factor so I’m moving on to trying some Speer offerings at under half the price per bullet.

I find it rewarding to take an animal with something you put time into and crafted. It’s time consuming, and based on how well factory loads shoot, it’s easier to go that route. I still enjoy the process that goes into the building a round from the bottom floor.

It helps when one of my test charges turns out to be a winner, because it’s time consuming to work through the process. Also lining up a place to test can be a hassle. Still worth it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I did get some .308 150gr Nosler Accubonds for Christmas. Just afraid I’ll burn up one of those boxes quickly while trying to work up a load since they only come in 50 count. If I can afford to keep shooting them though I’d love that to become my new go-to load for my 308

Guybo

Eight Pointer
I have several loads worked up for both these rifles but these are my hunting loads. Mine is the 25.06 and the .260 is my daughter's.

25.06 with a Speer 120gr hot-cor in front of 52grs of RL22.
.260 with a Sierra 120gr Pro Hunter in front of 46.5grs of H4350

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m looking to get a hunting rifle before next season. I’m trying to figure out what caliber. Glad to see people are having a good time loading. I’ve only done pistols and shotguns.

So many options. I used to have a big farm to hunt and loved recoil. I really liked my 7mm Rem Mag with 175 gr Remington Core Lokt's and hot hand loaded 45/70 with 300 gr Remington hp's. These days I hunt woods and neck issues can't take the recoil. My new favorites are a 357 mag H&R rifle and 250 Savage.

Bass-n-Deer-416

Four Pointer
I did get some .308 150gr Nosler Accubonds for Christmas. Just afraid I’ll burn up one of those boxes quickly while trying to work up a load since they only come in 50 count. If I can afford to keep shooting them though I’d love that to become my new go-to load for my 308
If memory serves me correct then the nosler 308 150gr accubonds and the nosler 308 150gr ballistic tips have the same sectional density and the same ballistic coefficient. With that being said you could get you a box of ballistic tips (which are cheaper) and work up a load with them and then transfer that data over to the accubonds.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
nothing rare, just wildcats or unusual cartridges
.338/06
.257 Ackley
.222 Rem
7x57
6.5x55
.358 Norma Mag

I found out over a decade ago, "designer" bullets kill no better than Sierra Game King or Pro Hunters or Hornady Interlock. I shot the Hornady/Sierra's during the 70's-90's then tried those newfangled bullets that cost 2x more with no better results, so went back to the old reliable that killed elk and bear and pigs and deer back in my young days.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
...oops, 1 more thing, the smaller grained powders meter more uniformly

I've gone to the SC types, Short Cut, like IMR4831SC, etc......but H380 is a good one, too!

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Let's see if I can recall how many rounds I actually load for (I am sure that I will not remember them all). 17 Hornet, 20 BR*, 204 Ruger, 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 22 K-Hornet*, 22 BR, 222 Rem, 223 Rem, 22-250 Rem, 6mm BR, 243 Win, 6mm-284 Win*, 240 Gibbs*, 25 Gibbs*, 257 Weatherby Mag, 250-3000 Savage, 25-06 Rem, 25-284 Win*, 257 B&B Mag*, 6.5-284 Win*, 270 Win, 270 B&B Mag*, 270 WSM, 270 Weatherby Mag, 284 Win, 7mm Gibbs*, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm WSM, 7mm-378 B&B Mag*, 7mm HBB Mag*, 30 Carbine, 30-30 Win, 308 Win, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby Mag, 30-378 Weatherby Mag, 338 Win Mag, 338-284 Win*, 358 Win, 375 H&H Mag, 444 Marlin, and 45-70. That does not include the handgun rounds and shotgun rounds that I load for.
* indicates Wildcat rounds.

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
Let's see if I can recall how many rounds I actually load for (I am sure that I will not remember them all). 17 Hornet, 20 BR*, 204 Ruger, 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 22 K-Hornet*, 22 BR, 222 Rem, 223 Rem, 22-250 Rem, 6mm BR, 243 Win, 6mm-284 Win*, 240 Gibbs*, 25 Gibbs*, 257 Weatherby Mag, 250-3000 Savage, 25-06 Rem, 25-284 Win*, 257 B&B Mag*, 6.5-284 Win*, 270 Win, 270 B&B Mag*, 270 WSM, 270 Weatherby Mag, 284 Win, 7mm Gibbs*, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm WSM, 7mm-378 B&B Mag*, 7mm HBB Mag*, 30 Carbine, 30-30 Win, 308 Win, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby Mag, 30-378 Weatherby Mag, 338 Win Mag, 338-284 Win*, 358 Win, 375 H&H Mag, 444 Marlin, and 45-70. That does not include the handgun rounds and shotgun rounds that I load for.
* indicates Wildcat rounds.

What??? No 338 Yogi, time to step it up. LOL

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I use them and used the OCW method and then tweeked the COAL from there and came up with the load that will shoot sub MOA for 3 shots. I think I used 25 bullets total for load development.

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
Been reloading since 84' and bullet casting since 07'. Need a .309 and .312" bullet mold. Reload shotgun too. Haven't hunted much since 13' season due to deployments.

CD

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
If memory serves me correct then the nosler 308 150gr accubonds and the nosler 308 150gr ballistic tips have the same sectional density and the same ballistic coefficient. With that being said you could get you a box of ballistic tips (which are cheaper) and work up a load with them and then transfer that data over to the accubonds.
Wow I’d never heard that, thanks for the tip I’ll definitey try it

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Never gave much thought to reloads until a couple years ago when I got a new Browning Abolt for a mule deer elk hunt I was going on. Grabbed a couple boxes of 30.06 that I had for use in my Rem742 for years. Tried to sight in scope with that factory stuff and couldn't get an 8" group. Guy I bought the gun from had some cartridges that he had loaded for Garand matches. I shot 1" groups with that stuff. I bought all the ingredients and he loaded me some and to this day I can still shoot 1" or under at 100 yards with it. Haven't shot factory ammo out of it since then.

Fast forward a few years and son has 243 Handi rifle which is notorious for bad accuracy. I couldn't get anything less than 6" groups with it. Got same buddy to load me some 243 100 grain test loads and it was so hot that it knocked my arm off and the action would open up each time I shot. It also would not shoot worth a crap. He got in his books and found the mildest load for 100grain pills he could find and that load would shoot 1.5" and was tolerable for my young son to shoot. The gun was super little and light weight. He killed many deer with it.

Later we tried Lever Evolution in my early 80's Marlin 336 30/30 and it shot like crap. I tried everything to get that gun to shoot it and wasted a bunch of money on ammo. It was just too hot for the gun. Finally gave up and talked to my buddy about loading some 30/30 for me. You guessed it, rolled them back a little and got great accuracy out of a lighter load.

Through all of this I learned a lot about barrel twist, bullet length/weight, bullet velocity/charge and how they all work together to make a gun accurate. My "buddy" is a gunsmith and also measured each guns chamber so that he could seat the bullets accordingly.

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
I handload for my deer rifles and have a few loads that I'm partial to. 270 Win is my go to rifle shooting 130 grain nosler bt and Imr 4350. Primarily use Imr powders, CCI primers and Nosler bullets. Have a few guns I like to load sierra game kings for. There is a certain satisfaction when you take a rifle and get it shooting bug hole groups and take game with a load you developed.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I handload for my deer rifles and have a few loads that I'm partial to. 270 Win is my go to rifle shooting 130 grain nosler bt and Imr 4350. Primarily use Imr powders, CCI primers and Nosler bullets.
sounds like we’d get along. I have 130gr BTs for my 270 but my go to for that round has become those Federal Trophy Bondeds.

herman

Six Pointer
I don't remember the exact year but I started reloading back in the early 50's and still reload my own and family members bullets.
Have bought very few factory bullets not counting some shotgun and 22 cal.
I am normally at the range at least one day a week,so i get to shoot a lot of different calibers.
Used to shoot competition for x number of years but gave it up a couple years ago because of health reasons.
Have killed deer with a lot of different calibers over the years .When the rem 260 came out it fast became my go to deer rifle.
I haven't been to the range and missed the rifle season this year because I had to start treatments for cancer back in Nov.Will be done by the end of this month and cannot wait to get back to the range.
Any caliber that one is comfortable shooting will do great on any big game around here.
Used to shoot at a public range for many years.Had more than a few to start shooting and the first 2or3 shots would be close together.and then start getting bigger and they would ask what is wrong with my gun and I would say the recoil is getting to you.They would say recoil don't bother me I can shoot it all day.And I would say what did you ask me for then.
savage 308 F/TR
wnllAYk.jpg

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Started loading for my .38-55 Marlin CB a few years back. Probably longer ago than I'm really thinking, maybe 8 years ago. Since then I have loaded for .30-30 Win., .356 Win., .308 Marlin Express, .338 Marlin Express, .270 Win. and my .45-70.
Yah! I love leverguns, particularly Marlins.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Started loading for my .38-55 Marlin CB a few years back. Probably longer ago than I'm really thinking, maybe 8 years ago. Since then I have loaded for .30-30 Win., .356 Win., .308 Marlin Express, .338 Marlin Express, .270 Win. and my .45-70.
Yah! I love leverguns, particularly Marlins.
What powders do you like for those lever action rounds, especially the 30-30? I just got 30-30 dies and have never tried it before. I have Varget on hand that I plan on trying

Reactions: DRS

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
What powders do you like for those lever action rounds, especially the 30-30? I just got 30-30 dies and have never tried it before. I have Varget on hand that I plan on trying

I use H335 and Leverevotion (LVR). I use the H335 with a 130 gr bullet and the LVR with a 150, both loads running around 2500 fps out the muzzle of a Win. Model 94 with a 26" barrel. Never tried Varget but it seems like it would be great for pushing the lighter bullets, the LVR is good for the heavier bullets. Varget is also part of the Extreme line of Hodgdon powders and is stable even with extreme ambient changes, such and temp and altitude. I use H322 and H4198, which are also Extreme powders, in some of the other rifles and can say I get the same velocities in winter and summer. LVR you have to watch out when using max loads on hot days(90+ F) as this powder is sensitive to temp.

I had a Speer Deep Curl 150 gr. load for the .30-30, that was terrible and worked it up in two different rifles. One was the Win.94 mentioned above, the other was a Marlin 336 youth model for a friend who bear hunted. One bear was shot with this load. The bear was between 250 and 300 lbs, the bullet paralleled the spine breaking all the ribs on one side then exiting in front of the hind quarter. I had my friend stop shooting this load, when I read that Speer advised not using any Deep Curl bullets due to the bullets causing to much pressure to build up. I'll work with some other 150 gr. bullets some day.

Last edited:

DaddyRat

Four Pointer
I load for .223, .257 wby, 30-30, 300 savage, 308, 3006, 300 win mag, 338 win mag, 375 H&H, .357, .44 mag. Last deer I killed was with a 165 interlock on top of 56.5 grains of IMR 4350 in one of my 3006's. She was 89 yards from my front porch. Dropped her DRT.