Tell me about Kerr Scott Lake....

Aaron871

Four Pointer
I moved to Laurel Springs roughly 5 years ago. I have since put my efforts into whitetail hunting and trout streams. I love it and have done great.

This winter I’m going to buy a boat .... Kerr Scott is the closest and most relevant lake. What are the predominant species?

In my past life I was a proficient bass fisherman. Nowadays I am hunting meat. I’m leaning toward a towards a Key West 1720, is that a mistake? I’m thinking strippers, bass, crappie, and catfish?

Would I be better off with a bass boat or aluminum?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I moved to Laurel Springs roughly 5 years ago. I have since put my efforts into whitetail hunting and trout streams. I love it and have done great.

This winter I’m going to buy a boat .... Kerr Scott is the closest and most relevant lake. What are the predominant species?

In my past life I was a proficient bass fisherman. Nowadays I am hunting meat. I’m leaning toward a towards a Key West 1720, is that a mistake? I’m thinking strippers, bass, crappie, and catfish?

Would I be better off with a bass boat or aluminum?
If you are going for strippers, don't get a boat. Just get cash and head to Charlotte from what I have heard.

BiggestSpikeYouEverSeen

Ten Pointer
Contributor
If you are going for strippers, don't get a boat. Just get cash and head to Charlotte from what I have heard.

That is funny!!

Depending on the spelling, Charlotte and/or Lake Norman will likely satisfy your needs.

I've fished Kerr Scott a few times.; kept a boat there for a few years. Cutting my teeth on Norman, I found it to be lots of fun, but obviously significantly smaller.

Crappie, hybrids, bass and catfish are what we targeted. Never did get very good at catching the hybrids but there are people that do quite well. Caught several bass there. We were using a 22' Lund with a 225 and that was more than sufficient.

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Not too sure of the stripper activity in the area, lol, but my wife and I love Kerr Scott lake. Not too crowded, and plenty of Bass to be had. Lots of Catfish too. In several months the "Bodie Bass" bite should be full on (March-June/best time we've noticed). While targeting Catfish we discovered that the Hybrids absolutely love chicken livers. Whodathunk it? Lol. Out of the 6 years or so of fishing Kerr Scott, my wife holds the record "between us" for the largest. Below is near average of what you'll usually catch (early mornings/late evenings):
20200110_052932.png

And this is the largest we've there:
20200110_050703.png

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I'm a little confused, help me out. When you refer to Kerr Scott am I correct in assuming you are referring to Kerr Scott AKA Buggs Island? Please note that there is also a Kerr Scott at Wilkesboro, NC.

I have fished the lake at Wilkes and know that there are all the species you listed in that lake also.

thandy

Ten Pointer
I have never heard of Buggs Island referred to as Kerr Scott. The pictures I posted were caught as Kerr Scott in Wilkes.

Aaron871

Four Pointer
I’m between a 17 and 19 center console.

Am I making a mistake not considering an aluminum v-bottom or fiberglass bass boat?

Going to make a purchase in a couple weeks...

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
I’m between a 17 and 19 center console.

Am I making a mistake not considering an aluminum v-bottom or fiberglass bass boat?

Going to make a purchase in a couple weeks...
To me, the center console is more versatile. Great for trolling and drifting (thinking crappie, cats, stripers), and makes for an ok casting platform (bass & others). If you'd ever fish more than 2 people, bigger is better (take the 19' over the 17'), and it will do a better job if you ever get down to the coast to fish salt water.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
While targeting Catfish we discovered that the Hybrids absolutely love chicken livers.

At certain points in their development in the hatcheries they are fed chicken liver to promote growth and weight retention. Same with land locked stripers. That's why they respond to them the way they do...

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
To me, the center console is more versatile. Great for trolling and drifting (thinking crappie, cats, stripers), and makes for an ok casting platform (bass & others). If you'd ever fish more than 2 people, bigger is better (take the 19' over the 17'), and it will do a better job if you ever get down to the coast to fish salt water.
I don't fish as much as I used to but I disagree...I don't really see the benefit of a center console layout til you get to 22-24 feet...

The Key West's are really nice boats. OP would probably be very happy in one. But if I were in his shoes I'd look at a boat designed for his purpose; fishing inland lakes...Either Aluminum or Fiberglass...

One local guide that I fished with likes the Walleye Style boats for what he does; enough casting deck space and enough lower floor space for comfort, trolling, etc...

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
I don't fish as much as I used to but I disagree...
To each, his own. I've owned aluminum v-hulls and bass boats, but prefer my center console. I mainly fish stripers and cats these days, and like the room for a bait tank, and the ability to easily walk around the boat to tend lines.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
In the smaller boats I did not get the feel for a center console boat.
All you need to do is try to load a big cooler. There is no roon for it. The foot print of the CC took up way to much room. Add in bait cooler, or fish cooler, gear there was no walking room.
I went with a small side console for a more open floor and it has worked great for me.
I also like the aluminum boats for 20' and under. Just get more room and open to customize easier.
This is my 20' Seaark.20180706_183707.jpg20180706_183659.jpg

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
No arguments with Gadget. That's a good looking rig. I have an old Robalo CC that has plenty of room, but I may have to upgrade!

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
At certain points in their development in the hatcheries they are fed chicken liver to promote growth and weight retention. Same with land locked stripers. That's why they respond to them the way they do...
I didn't know that. Learn something new every day. Thanks