Ted Nugent opposed to baiting, feeding ban due to CWD concerns

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
— Conservative rocker Ted Nugent targeted Michigan conservation authorities Tuesday, calling state officials either "liars" or "stupid" for supporting a ban on baiting deer and elk.

"If they think they can stop deer from swapping spit, they're idiots," Nugent said during a House Government Operations Committee meeting.

Nugent, whom GOP lawmakers referred to as "Uncle Ted," testified in support of a bill that would legalize deer and elk baiting during hunting seasons. The bill introduced by Rep. Michele Hoitenga, R-Manton, would reverse a 2018 ban that was put in place to address concerns that chronic wasting disease was spread through bait piles. It’s not clear the science used to push that ban is reliable, Hoitenga said.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I liked his music as a kid and his stand on the 2nd but that is about as far I can go with Ted. Since he does a lot of killing over bait on on his TV show I can see why he would be opposed to the ban.

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
He's not pushing to reverse Michigan's ban on deer urine scents just the baiting ban

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I agree with Ted on this one. Apples fall from a tree and deer congregate under said tree to eat the fallen apples.
You come along and gather up the same fallen apples, move them 150 yards toward your stand site and the same deer come to eat them, but now you are illegal. Makes absolutely no sense and is nothing more than a knee jerk reaction to something that biologist admittedly do not understand.
Ive killed more deer than cwd has...

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
He’s an idiot. Known a couple people who guided him on hunts and they despise him and they said they didn’t know anyone who knew him that liked him. Got one buddy that told him “best not to try to guide the guide”. He flipped :donk:donk:donk:donk on him and ran to the ranch owner. Ranch owner told him to leave and never come back. He’d already crippled up two 140” deer before he finally put a killing shot on a third. Lol

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
All I've got to say is spend some time in a hunting camp with Ted Nugent and I think your opinion of him might change I did and it did. He does support the 2nd which is the only thing good I can say about him.

I have met him one time in a hunting situation and you are correct. But in his defense (not really) he is a hot shot, very famous, loud rock-n-roll guitar player that is totally idolized by tons of fans.
Ive met a lot of them too over the years and every one of them has been the most self-absorbed, rude and narcissistic of people that Ive ever met in my life.
He is a jerk, but I do believe that he is right on this one.
Kind of sad when you think about it, he does have some great things to say but is not taken seriously because he is so over the top.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I think your opinion of him might change

oh I doubt it changes with me,,,,loud mouth fellow,,,,but what I said on attitude on 2nd and animals shows true to me,,,,don't want to hang with him though, nor his ditsy (though nice looking) wife

like most TV hunters, you can see where the bad shots are rampant,,,no doubts on lost game,,,,but that's another thread that many don't agree with me on (on when wounded animals = a punched tag),,,

Good stuff

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
every one of them has been the most self-absorbed, rude and narcissistic of people that Ive ever met in my life.
He is a jerk, but I do believe that he is right on this one.

yes,,,my opinion as well,,,,he can be right and an arse,,,,all at the same time!!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
one thing about Ted, you'll never doubt where he stands.
saw him in the hard rock the last time obama was running.

I believe his line of the night was "yall are going to help me beat that worthless SOB arent you"?
That brought the house down. :)

perfectroadglide

Ten Pointer
Say what you will about Ted, but none of us will ever match him in putting bows in kids hands. His day camps for kids is unbelievable. Watch him there. He's a different Uncle Ted around those kids, just wants the kids to experience the mystical flight of the arrow. No politics, no grandstanding, just kids having fun.

Jawbone

Button Buck
Overall I’m a fan of Ted and what he does especially for the kids. However, if I needed or wanted an opinion on CWD I would probably talk to biologist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
He's got a valid point on this. Many bucks will chew on and rub the same glands on scrape branches. Many will eat acorns under the same oak, while spilling saliva-laden pieces here and there. They chew on the same plants in the food plots or corn fields. It is passed from doe to fawn. It has to be passed during the breeding process of the rut. What deer doesn't engage in those activities?

They aren't going to outlaw crop fields, food plots, or scrape licking branches, or deer breeding, so outlawing baiting is really only one small piece of that puzzle. A piece that drastically affects the way many hunt. I do think it congregates deer, and *could* speed up the spread of the disease, but no more than all of the other sources. If it were even possible to prove such, I'd say saliva spread from bait sites is a small minority of transmissions compared with the other pathways.

As usual, man thinks he can control more than he can. There's no stopping CWD.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I don't think biologists are claiming they can stop CWD but they can slow or delay its spread and introduction.

Its just a question of whether one thinks CWD is a big deal or not.

The NCWRC is on the verge of proposing a ban (of some extent) on the use of natural deer urine and fluid products.

It will be interesting to see if NC hunters support such a ban (if it is actually proposed)

Most hunters supported the carcass import ban.

Last edited:

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Not to me, but it probably should be. I don't really know much about it nor have I ever seen a deer walking around that I could say yeah he/ she has CWD or EHD. I know this though, several of the old timers I talk to about deer hunting say that they remember when there were hardly any deer around here. They were just happy to go deer hunting and even see a track. I was told they imported deer in the all pines to increase the herd numbers. I don't want to leave the next generation with no deer to hunt. As far as right now I would say the heard in the east is strong in numbers!

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

No, it's whether or not one thinks all of the legislation aimed at stopping CWD is just peeing in the ocean.

I think hurricanes are a big deal, but I don't advocate NC building a wall on the state line to keep them out.