Tc encore primer issue?

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I can't get the encore to close when I put a primer in. I've checked the breech plug is in properly.... I cleaned the threads and even changed out breech plug.... still no luck. I have two different primers I've tried....Winchester triple 7 and Winchester. I'm thinking same manufacturer so maybe they dont fit? Seems crazy... any other encore folks had this issue? I set up one of my other muzzleloader for tomorrow but I got to figure this encore out.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Are you using 777 powder or pellets? It is known to cause a "crud ring". Maybe a little build up is stopping the breech plug from seating that last tiny bit? It wouldn't take much.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Are you using 777 powder or pellets? It is known to cause a "crud ring". Maybe a little build up is stopping the breech plug from seating that last tiny bit? It wouldn't take much.
It's a used gun and I assume previous owner used 777 pellets. I didn't see any sign of a crud ring. But I will recheck

It has a regular plug not a speed one.

I guess I'll pick up another brand of primers to see if that is issue.

firedawg60

Twelve Pointer
The W209s can vary a good deal in length, from .296 to .303 in a sleeve. I would check to make sure you have tried some of the shorter ones in a pack before buying another brand.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Slam it shut hard. Some primers fit snug and some have to be slammed to compress the primer slightly in the pocket before it will close properly. I think CCI fit fine but Win209's had to be slammed shut. After that you can open and close it fine. If it still won't close after that, then you may have a breech plug issue.

It's a known issue. Accuracy seemed the same either way.

herman

Six Pointer
You may have a little carbon at bottom of the breech plug where the primer goes, you can take a knife and scratch it out or use a "C" drillbit to clean it out.Check to see if you have a grain of powder or some carbon where the plug bottoms out in the barrel keeping the plug from bottoming out.
I used cci and win primers in my encore for years with no problem. Testing primers some years ago I found that the cci non magum primers gave the best accuracy using pyrodex.

C120

Six Pointer
I put an Endeaver barrell on mine and it wouldn't lock up properly with T7 primers or CCI MZL primers. Regular CCI or chedite primer worked fine being a little shorter. I wish I new how to fix it other than opening and closing the breech about 20 times.