Tautog - Black Fish

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
With the cold winter we're expecting I've got an appetite for Taugs that I won't be able to satisfy until I get one in the cooler. Could anyone PM with information regarding, targeting these fish in the coastal waters of NC? I've done well down at the coast inshore fishing for all manner of fish but would love to target inshore Taugs. Any info would be greatly appreciated and can include, lures, bait selection, city's or if you are that generous specific jetties or piles. Thanks in advance - tight lines everybody.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Speargun works best. I see them all the time on nearshore dives. Fishing for them...the trick is weeding out all the other fish that are with them. Standard two hook taug rig with crab for bait will work. I’ve caught some on jetties in the fall using shrimp but I don’t think they are there in great numbers.

I know they are thought of as cold water fish but I see them in the summer 3 miles off the beach. Honestly I’m not sure where they hang out here in the winter, I’d guess further off.

Last edited:

ECU_Pirate

Banned
NC is the southern end of their range if I'm not mistaken. They do well on them up in VA. Not sure if there is much of a fishery to specifically target them down here.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I've heard that if we get a cold winter they'll be on the port walls and around the jetties, but Fisherman have been known to spin a tail. I just want to know what's the best bait for NC Tautog specifically. I see a lot of folks using cut crab portions up in VA and New England.

witler

Eight Pointer
I've heard that if we get a cold winter they'll be on the port walls and around the jetties, but Fisherman have been known to spin a tail. I just want to know what's the best bait for NC Tautog specifically. I see a lot of folks using cut crab portions up in VA and New England.[/QUOTE

Surely you jest, in my near 70yrs., I can't remember ever meeting a Fisherman that would spin a tail.