Tarus G3

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anyone have any experience with one?

My buddy picked one up last night, carried it home, racked a round in it and it has locked up tighter than Dick's hatband. He says it won't do anything. Nothing will move. He said the slide didn't close completely shut. Any ideas?

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That sounds pretty dangerous. Did he maybe try to chamber the wrong round?

I'd follow all safety rules (muzzle direction, etc.) and get it to a smith ASAP to get the round removed. Then it would be sent back to Taurus.

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
It sounds like either the wrong cartridge was chambered or the chamber is out of spec.

Could be dirt or gunk in the chamber. Did he visually inspect the barrel before trying to put a round in it?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had a Ruger LC 9 do the same thing. It had a warped slide and Ruger replaced it without question. Amazingly the "test" round was in the box and I was the first owner of the pistol so it had passed QC somehow even though my attempt to chamber a round ended up in a jammed gun.
The slide functioned ok empty, it did have some drag but I figured it was just a dry slide.
Interestingly enough, Ruger sent me a return slip for Fed Ex. I dropped the complete pistol in the original box packed into the box that Ruger sent for return, they sent it back a few weeks later in the same box, to the Fed EX pick up location in Winston Salem. No FFL was involved at all.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Interestingly enough, Ruger sent me a return slip for Fed Ex. I dropped the complete pistol in the original box packed into the box that Ruger sent for return, they sent it back a few weeks later in the same box, to the Fed EX pick up location in Winston Salem. No FFL was involved at all.

no FFL needed for shipping a firearm you own to get repaired and returned

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
no FFL needed for shipping a firearm you own to get repaired and returned
I had shipped a Ruger Redhawk to be retrofitted for a safety feature years and years ago..in the 70's. That one went through the post office and it was "lost" somewhere between Ruger shipping it back to me and the post office receiving it...I never got the revolver back.
I was amazed that in that amount of time(I sent this LC9 off a couple of years ago) that they hadn't involved a different process other than using another carrier to make sure that this kind of thing didn't happen more often.