Tar River Brand Grain Drill

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Has anyone bought or used one of these drills? It appears that BEFCO out of Rocky Mount imports them. I’m curious how well they work. They are significantly less expensive than others & I am cinsidering selling my 2 row planter and buying a drill.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
The issue with lightweight notills is the weight. There’s a reason the best notill drills are heavy. You’re trying to cut through residue and consistently lay seed to soil.

I have not used one but I know what I like in a drill. I don’t know it’s ease of calibration but it is designed for the small tractor. It will work for the weekender but you will need to hang suitcase weights on it if you want it to slice hard ground otherwise it’s really a minimum tillage drill. You can limp by on damp ground but that’s counter productive with compaction.

*I’m assuming you’re talking the no til version.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The issue with lightweight notills is the weight. There’s a reason the best notill drills are heavy. You’re trying to cut through residue and consistently lay seed to soil.

I have not used one but I know what I like in a drill. I don’t know it’s ease of calibration but it is designed for the small tractor. It will work for the weekender but you will need to hang suitcase weights on it if you want it to slice hard ground otherwise it’s really a minimum tillage drill. You can limp by on damp ground but that’s counter productive with compaction.

*I’m assuming you’re talking the no til version.
And he just knocked that one out of the park. A lightweight notill MAY get by in sandy loamy soil but you put it in trashy tight red clay and you won't be happy.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
I am not planning on buying the no till version for the reason BW stayed. Weight works for no-till and my little tractor won’t handle but so much of that.

I plan to keep my tillage tools & may be just as well off continuing my current method of disk, spread seed & cultivate.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I am not planning on buying the no till version for the reason BW stayed. Weight works for no-till and my little tractor won’t handle but so much of that.

I plan to keep my tillage tools & may be just as well off continuing my current method of disk, spread seed & cultivate.

Oh in that case buy a 5100 or 8200, you will be happier.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Based on the comments, I think the best thing is just to stick to my current system. I don’t really want to spend the money necessary for a true no-till drill, I don’t plant enough food plots to justify that cost.

I just had a little “new toy” moment.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have looked one over in person at Clapp Brothers in Siler City. It is a low cost option that would get by for the weekend warrior hobby farmer or footplot maker that used it 4-5 acres per year. It would not last long in rocky ground.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Has anyone bought or used one of these drills? It appears that BEFCO out of Rocky Mount imports them. I’m curious how well they work. They are significantly less expensive than others & I am cinsidering selling my 2 row planter and buying a drill.

I no till plant with my two row JD 71 corn planter, works like a charm. I spray my field with roundup and after it dies down then plant my soybeans. Lots of people use to no till plant with standard planters.