Tar river/bank access

Desert_hawg

Four Pointer
Is there bank access along the tar river? I am new to area and looking to get into some catfish. Any other good bank access catfish rivers are welcome too.

I noticed cape fear had limited bank access, could be mistaken, just moved to NC in April from Arkansas.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pir8rn

Six Pointer
Welcome to NC!
Sunset Park and Battle Park in Rocky Mount have access points, as does Riverfront Park in Tarboro. The Tar River Paddle Trail lays out boat/kayak access points all along the Tar, which often have enough room for fishing as well.
There are several ponds in and around Tarboro as well that are stocked with channel cats from Mar-Oct by the NC Wildlife Commission. Indian Lake in Tarboro (at the Sport's Complex) and Tar River gamelands ponds (at intersection of 64 and 33) both routinely produce for me. Nothing record breaking, but you'll catch plenty.

Hit me up with a PM sometime and maybe I can join ya...

Reactions: DRS

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
There is a little used boat ramp with a pier on hwy 258 just outside Princeville....it doesn't get the action the area in Tarboro and Rocky Mount does and is just a little ways from it.

pir8rn

Six Pointer
There is a little used boat ramp with a pier on hwy 258 just outside Princeville....it doesn't get the action the area in Tarboro and Rocky Mount does and is just a little ways from it.

I think you're talking about Shilo Mills access that was mentioned above...

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
People fish at the City of Rocky Mount waste water discharge east of town on NC 97. Then you also have two other boat ramps one in Dunbar and the other at NC 33, on the NW side of Tarboro. None are listed as public fishing areas, but people fish at them all the time. City Lake in Rocky Mount would also be an option. Fishing is allowed at the 2 ramps on the Tar River Reservoir. I also think you can fish from the bank on the west side of the dam. Like has been mentioned earlier Sunset Park and Battle Park gives you access to a couple miles of river bank. Another place around Tarboro is Indian Lake.

Chuck

Button Buck
Since you mentioned the Cape Fear I'll name a few spots, don't know what area of the Cape Fear your nearest to. I don't live in the same area of NC, so it's been ten years since I've actually fished these spots, they might not be accessible any more.
Downstream from Lillington there's a boat ramp on the south side of the river that offers decent access from the bank. On the north side of the river, east of Sanford, there's a small town on 42 called Corinth. Look for Buckhorn Rd. Follow it for a few miles, it brings you out to an old low concrete dam, lots of bank access and decent fishing in Buckhorn creek as well. You should be able to fish from the bank at the Erwin bridge too, there's a small park with trails there. Hope this helps.

willb

Eight Pointer
So I just moved to Tarboro last year….. and I’m curious you actually fish right at the treatment center? And they don’t care? Lol if so I’ll have to check it out
yeah, that sounds like a good place to fish. At the PIPE. AKA waste water discharge

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There are places in Greenville. We fished Town Commons a bunch at night my senior year. Never caught a lot but it was enjoyable. The far out there are problematic.