Tanning results + first leather project

I hate wasting anything, but sending all these hides off to get tanned would just be too costly. So I dedicated some time this spring to tanning all of last years hides. It wasn't difficult, just a lot of steps. Ended up making a wallet as my first project. Wanted to share and maybe encourage some to make use of those furs! The hide pictured on the left came out a little rough, so I soaked it again and re-worked it to be a little softer. I fleshed them all (along with my raccoons and coyote) with a 3000psi pressure washer. Fast work since I suck at using a fleshing knife. Ended up with a couple of holes from skinning along with arrow holes, but overall I like the results.

Attachments

• IMG_1050.jpg
    IMG_1050.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1051.jpg
    IMG_1051.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot 2022-06-24 222651.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-24 222651.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 106
  • Screenshot 2022-06-24 222713.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-24 222713.png
    1 MB · Views: 106

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I hate wasting anything, but sending all these hides off to get tanned would just be too costly. So I dedicated some time this spring to tanning all of last years hides. It wasn't difficult, just a lot of steps. Ended up making a wallet as my first project. Wanted to share and maybe encourage some to make use of those furs! The hide pictured on the left came out a little rough, so I soaked it again and re-worked it to be a little softer. I fleshed them all (along with my raccoons and coyote) with a 3000psi pressure washer. Fast work since I suck at using a fleshing knife. Ended up with a couple of holes from skinning along with arrow holes, but overall I like the results.
That’s awesome

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Awesome, awesome work !
I'd love to have stuff from the deer I killed.
Wallet, or just about anything else.

Instructions as requested:
I keep all the hides in the freezer until I have time to do everything at once. I drape/clamp a tarp over saw horses as a backdrop to catch the gunk from fleshing with the pressure washer. Use a 3000 psi gas pressure washer with a turbo nozzle and can flesh each pretty fast (and they'll take a beating from that nozzle too). I purchase a hair removing kit from McKenzie taxidermy supply (https://www.mckenziesp.com/K7108-P16813.aspx) for about $17 plus shipping. This is good for about 5 hides. Use a 20 gallon trash can to soak the hides in. Just follow the directions included with the kit. I soaked them 4 days in the calcium hydroxide (stirring twice a day) then 6 hours in the ammonium sulfate. The hair just falls right off by running my hand along it. You may end up with a few hairs left here and there, but they'll come off eventually.
Create a pickling solution with salt and citric acid. 1lb of salt per gallon of water & 1/2 oz of citric acid per 1lb of salt. I go to lowes and get some pool salt for CHEEEEEEAP, compared to pickling or table salt. Works great. Stir it until it all dissolves then add the hides. Throw the hairless hides in there for 2-3 days.
I did my research and yes, EVERYTHING above is safe for the drain! So once you're done with each step it's easy to dispose of.
Get you some "Deer Hunter's & Trappe's Hide & Fur Tanning Formula" in the orange bottle (this is the best i've ever used). I get a two-pack off amazon for like 20 bucks. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON THE BOTTLE! This stuff works great and if you follow the directions it'll be so easy to stretch the leather out to your desired softness. I screwed a 2x4 to my work bench and pulled the hides across the end to soften mine. As you pull it you'll see it turn white. If you've finished and let it dry but don't like how stiff it is...... soak it with the garden hose and stretch it out some more. You're done after this. If you want it more water proof look up youtube videos on smoking the leather. This is probably good if you're using the leather as is for big projects, but I've never done it. By the time you're done stretching it, you will have had the chance to pull or cut off any small fleshy bits you left on there.
I've attached some more images for y'all. The stiffer leather is rolled up while the softer one that I stretched the heck out of is just piled to the side. I've done this with hair on and off for deer. The hair-on pieces are just decorative over a chair. The hair tends to fall out if you do much more with it. I hope this helps anyone interested!

Attachments

• IMG_1093.jpg
    IMG_1093.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1095.jpg
    IMG_1095.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Damn, you do good work!
That pressure-washer idea is golden! Fleshing the hide was always the hardest part for me; I hate that part of the process.
It works on deer, raccoon and coyote although you need to be very careful on the belly of coyote. I put a couple of holes in one once.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
That is some good work, really useful looking material. If you minimize stretching can you get a piece of hide say from the neck that's thick and durable enough for making a knife sheath?

That is some good work, really useful looking material. If you minimize stretching can you get a piece of hide say from the neck that's thick and durable enough for making a knife sheath?
That was something I was wondering myself but honestly even from the thickest part of my 8 pointers hide I wouldn't trust as a sheath for a knife with a fine tuned edge. I did notice that this leather is literally the same thickness as your average wallet leather. You could always double it up though...... cut a double pattern then use contact cement to attach the duplicates so it's twice as thick? Just throwing ideas out there.

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
Nicely done!
Trapps hide and fur is some great stuff. Nice work on the wallet too
That’ll be one of my next projects I believe

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Amazing instructions! U r the MAN. Entirely too much work for my lazy a... though! W/ all the different modern chemicals, etc. It does truly make you wonder how the Native Americans were able to do this. Amazing!

Shockgobbles

Six Pointer
If you wanted to leave hair on and just have a tanned hide/fur would you simply skip the hair removing kit portion? Great work! I've been meaning to look more into tanning especially when I'm finally done with school and have the time

Shockgobbles

Six Pointer
Bwahahahaha!!!
You'd be surprised how much unnecessary crap we deal with in dental school compared to a private practice setting, especially outside of hours. It does go both ways though because you do get weekend emergencies and what not once in the real world, but at least I'll be living on the same piece of land where I kill most of my critters and not 2 hours away in a tiny apartment, that's really what I meant by more time haha.

I'm in school at least 50 hours/week and as many as 60. Many days are 6 to 6. I expect to work 32 on an ideal week (aka no emergencies out of hours) after graduation so my situation is a bit different than your typical college kid complaining about lack of free time.

You'll also see I've edited this like 6 times trying to be thorough and accurate, if you ever have any dental problems @woodmoose or anyone else, I'll be thorough and accurate with those as well :)

Last edited:

Shockgobbles

Six Pointer
Yeah you got a point there on grad school/getting your doctorate -, but I still think you’ll look back when you’re in business and say “what was I thinking”
Absolutely until I get firmly established, which will no doubt take a few years but I have great mentors (dad and grandpa) who have been through the same thing. Offer still stands ;) although I'll be a few hours from you most likely (either Chatham or most likely in Graham at the moment). I imagine I'll end up seeing several good folks who frequent this board. I'm done hijacking this thread haha

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
That was something I was wondering myself but honestly even from the thickest part of my 8 pointers hide I wouldn't trust as a sheath for a knife with a fine tuned edge. I did notice that this leather is literally the same thickness as your average wallet leather. You could always double it up though...... cut a double pattern then use contact cement to attach the duplicates so it's twice as thick? Just throwing ideas out there.
Could always inlay a piece into some 8-10oz cow to have a keepsake but still have a nice sturdy sheath.

If you wanted to leave hair on and just have a tanned hide/fur would you simply skip the hair removing kit portion? Great work! I've been meaning to look more into tanning especially when I'm finally done with school and have the time
Yes! That's exactly what you'd do. Just be warned that deer hair is known to fall out over time because it's actual hair and not fur. Don't let this discourage you though, I've done two of them with fur on because I loved the coloring. I just keep them draped over chairs that never get sat in.

Shockgobbles

Six Pointer
Yes! That's exactly what you'd do. Just be warned that deer hair is known to fall out over time because it's actual hair and not fur. Don't let this discourage you though, I've done two of them with fur on because I loved the coloring. I just keep them draped over chairs that never get sat in.
Gotcha, if you were working with a coon or coyote that wouldn't be an issue? I honestly know next to nothing about this so I'm curious if this is a catch-all recipe for most game and about any necessary modifications, since you took the time to detail the steps.

Thanks for that by the way. I found it very informative

Gotcha, if you were working with a coon or coyote that wouldn't be an issue? I honestly know next to nothing about this so I'm curious if this is a catch-all recipe for most game and about any necessary modifications, since you took the time to detail the steps.

Thanks for that by the way. I found it very informative
Exactly. Fur animals will not have this issue so coyote, raccoons, cats, bears are all good to go. Same process minus the hair-removal steps. Pressure wash the flesh & fat off the back (you may see some strands of fur come through the back of the skin.....that's normal) then pickle for a few days, then the tanning formula and stretch to desired softness. If you or any of y'all ever decide to tackle this project you're more than welcome to shoot me a message! Hell if anyone lives in the Charlotte area I'd even give ya a hand if there's a beer in the fridge haha.